• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Cleaning Bugs Off of the car

I recently cleaned LOML's car to a pristine clean. Knowing that recently she has to drive in the early evening, in the hot early fall, I decided to spray the front lights, grill and front fenders and hood with WD-40 and wipe it to an even spread. Then the next time she came in, it was an ease to clean the bugs off.

My question is: Is WD-40 harmful to the car finish?

My wife's 91 year old mom is in a re-hab nursing home about 30 miles away and LOML has to be there from 7:30 AM to about 7:30PM daily. Since late August, LOML has been returning home at dusk and collecting tons of bugs; 2 to 3 days of bugs makes the white car almost black in front. I cleaned the windshield and lights each morning. It took quite a bit of elbow grease! I used Simple Green all over the front, waited about 5 minutes and wiped and wiped. Then I got the idea of spraying WD-40 and wiping it after cleaning. It has really helped in cleaning and it seems that there are not as many bugs building up.

I used a product ordered from Amazon called Bug Slide, but it is not nearly as effective as the WD-40. Still, I am wondering for those that know, what does this do to the finish?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The WD-40 website lists the materials it can be safely used on as follows which doesn't mention painted surfaces:

WD-40® Multi-Use Product is safe to use on the following plastics and rubbers: neoprene/hard rubber, buna/nitrile, EPDM, HDPE, Viton, ABS Plastic and vinyl. In addition, it can be used safely on the following metals: copper with unpolished finish, magnesium, aluminum, steel with unpolished finish, galvanized steel, and stainless steel. Although WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on a variety of surfaces we recommend testing in an inconspicuous area before larger application.

That said, most of the car websites say it won't hurt your car's paint but to be safe, wash it with soap and water after using it. It is classified as a penetraiting solvent and I think it might damage paint if left on the surface for long periods of time.

Alternatively, we used to live between two lakes and bugs were a major problem. I soaked a large towel in water and Dawn dishwashing detergent and draped it over the front of the cars for about 10-15 minutes which removed the vast majority of bug residue with just a little wiping.
    Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

What was good about the WD-40 was not how it removed stuck-on bugs, but how it prevented the next trip's bugs from sticking so easily. If WD-40 is not necessarily good for the finish, then I wonder about Pledge or something like that to prevent bugs from sticking like glue when they hit.

Years ago, I read about a guy who covered the front of his car with vaseline durning those black kissing bug infestation and it did wonders for removing them.

Again, this is not about "how to take them off" but "how to prevent them from sticking in the first place."
      Hank Lee

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
        What was good about the WD-40 was not how it removed stuck-on bugs, but how it prevented the next trip's bugs from sticking so easily. If WD-40 is not necessarily good for the finish, then I wonder about Pledge or something like that to prevent bugs from sticking like glue when they hit.

Years ago, I read about a guy who covered the front of his car with vaseline durning those black kissing bug infestation and it did wonders for removing them.

Again, this is not about "how to take them off" but "how to prevent them from sticking in the first place."
        I wonder if an anti-stick coating like PAM would be less risky to the finish and work as well? A teflon coating might be another option.

Automotive finishes are pretty tough when cured, though, so the WD40 is probably fine. If you have not seen any effect on the paint after a few hours - dull finish, stickiness, etc. - it's probably fine.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've always used Honda Polish to get bugs off my helmet and motorcycle fairing, and keep them from sticking as well the next trip. I tried Plexus and Pam, with ok but lesser results. Keeping a vehicle well waxed also makes it easier to remove bugs. Putting Rain-X on glass helps there, but I've found that the PPG Aquapel treatment on glass makes them almost fall off. My Jeep has a very vertical windshield so it collects bugs really well on road trips (we have few bugs in our area).

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I seem to recall that auto parts stores sell some solvent called bug and tar remover especially designed for use on auto finishes. You might try looking that up

Yeah, lots of them at Amazon:
            https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bug+and+t...b_sb_ss_i_2_19
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I have a bottle of that from Turtle Wax. It's ok. It doesn't seem to prevent future sticking.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I'm in Branson MO this week; Ran through some bugs coming, but the WD-40 did a great job at preventing mass sticking. I took a paper towel and wiped the grill and leading edge of the hood and 95% came off easily. The light dusting of daily being outside plus a very short shower (about 5 minutes of a sprinkle) took the effect of WD-40 off after about 4 days. The RAV4 needs a wash now. I am wondering what to try next - maybe PAM or vaseline. I will be going home Saturday, So I will look around and give one or the other a try. It sure is nice to wipe the bugs off without having to rub hard with some kind of desolver.
                Hank Lee

Comment

Working...