Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Harbor freight lawsuit settlement

Big surprise.
    I'd pretty much given up after other people reported getting their settlement months ago, but I just got a gift card in the mail for the Option B settlement.!

$152 bucks!

Wow! What shall I get?

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Buy supplies such as brad nails, gloves, tarps, bunji cords, ammo boxes etc. stuff that doesn’t have moving parts

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Haha, First I'll go on eBay and buy some 20% off coupons I saw there for bid starting at $0,99 to $4.
      What some people think they can sell!!!

I get two or three every week in the US mail, newspaper and e-mail.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Same here, $143.84, out of nowhere. I'm probably going to pick up a pair of their LED spotlights to mount on my on/off road motorcycle, restock on gloves, and not sure what else.

Carl, their quality has gone WAY up on many things. The battery power tools and generators are the most stunning values right now. The Honda 3500 copy is actually better than the Honda in many ways, and so cheap. Their ammo boxes are GARBAGE however.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Back in May I posted, inquiring whether anyone had gotten a check yet from "the settlement", and I think at the time only one person replied that they did. I had just gotten my check and was surprised by the amount and that at the time I was one of the first to receive a settlement.

With the date parameters defined in the ruling, my local store had just opened. My wife keeps copies of every thing we buy, everywhere. Some of the earliest HF receipts were faded beyond recovery, but most were legible enough to scan and I went though the whole process, not only sending in copies of everything, but also highlighting the amounts and also supplying an accounting-like sheet showing the receipt number, date, amount, and stated savings numbers. Overall, probably close to a hundred sheets as I recall.... sent them registered mail, enclosed a letter, description, etc.

In the beginning, I wasn't going to bother and after some back-and-forth here on the forum, I decided what the heck.

So on May 3rd, I got a check for $1,567.17 Shocked to say the least and I deposited it immediately. At the time I didn't want to post the amount, figuring that at any moment I'd get a registered letter that somebody made a mistake. It's been awhile so I guess it's okay. My wife joked that I was like the "Odd Couple's " Felix Unger character, getting called to come to the IRS office.... fretting that he had screwed up, but they just wanted to meet the person who had put together such a well-documented Return.

Frankly, I was wondering if anyone would even bother to look through what I had sent,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Dang CWS, you must have bought everyone’s in your family’s Christmas presents from HF for several years.

Carlos, I agree about the ammo boxes. We purchased several not long ago and the handle fell off one of them when I was carrying it to the car.

Comment

• cwsmith
              cwsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually I didn't think it was all that much until I put together everything. I have a couple of their hardwood carpentry benches, and two of the older black 11-drawer tool cabinets, which are about the most expensive items I've purchased, and next down in price would be maybe the chain saw and both chain and circular saw sharpeners, and a few seldom used power tools that I bought for specific projects. Other than that, it's just supplies like bits, compressor hardware, spray equipment, yard tools, etc. It obviously adds up over time and I must admit that I'm in the store often, sometimes twice a week and at others maybe once a month. I very rarely go to Home Depot or Lowes anymore and of course our Sears is long gone.

Most of my tools are older Craftsman, Ridgid, and Ryobi, with some handed down "heritage" tools. I think the main thing was that we keep good records and for a long time I kept a database of my tools, serial numbers, where and when I bought them, etc. I still have the manuals, for my old 1973 RAS and the hand-held power tools I bought even before that. I'd like to think it was the documentation that they looked at, there was nothing to contest.

CWS
          • Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by cwsmith
            I got a check for $1,567.17
            Stunning. Most class action lawsuits result in a mere pittance for the "class", getting useless discount coupons. Impressive record-keeping. You may want to reward the wife rather well for her part.

Comment

• cwsmith
              cwsmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Never a problem there, we split it right down the middle! Frankly I wanted her to take the whole thing, but she insisted 50/50 was more to her liking.

We've been married 51 years and right from the beginning of our engagement, we've equally shared almost everything; like, I earn the money (I insisted she quite her job when our baby was on the way [he's 49 years old now] and she stayed home to be wife and mother.) (I'm pretty Victorian ) I earned the income for both of us, she managed the money and paid the bills and in the process has saved us a fortune. This particular event would have never happened without her!

CWS
          • LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Most class action suit I have seen involve getting a 5 or 10 dollar gift certificate good towards buying more of the company's stuff. I guess this is sizable because its a result of numerous purchases.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...