• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

FINALLY gonna get back in the shop!

Aug. 8 I had my hip replaced, and I've spent the last six weeks basically doing PT or sitting on my butt. For most of the summer it was too painful to stand for any length of time. As of today, I'm cleared to stand in the shop and work (as long as I take it easy; no lifting four sheets of 3/4" ply at once), walk as far as I'm able, drive, etc. My poor canoe has been waiting patiently for me to get back to it. I still have to finish the inside glassing and seats and other woodwork. Maybe by spring…

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I know how you feel, though my situation is less painful. It's been too hot for a couple months and I barely got in there. The weather is just turning nicer though, looking forward to a bunch of projects for fall and winter.

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Bit of a setback. Managed to spend a good bit of last Wednesday in the shop, then woke up last Thursday at 1 am with horrible abdominal pain, by 3 was in the ER, by 7 in a hospital bed, and by 10 having a kidney stent placed. Seems I have a 5 mm kidney stone. Spent Thursday nigh and most of Fri in the hospital; lithotripsy scheduled for Tuesday. Right now I'm on painkillers and antibiotics.

PLUS my mom is having major back surgery on Wednesday morning, so it looks like another week or so before I'm back in the shop. I swear that canoe is getting built eventually…

g.
      Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The canoe will get built in its own time as long as you take care of yourself first.
        Chr's

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

Wow! Watch out for any sign of infection! This is critical after a replacement. My nephew had a hip replacement fail. He had it redone and got a sinus infection. It moved to the hip. They had to remove his second hip replacement and put in a temporary hip. This happened in June. No weight could be put on the temp. He had iv antibiotics for weeks. Just yesterday he had successful hip replacement surgery. He'll be on oral antibiotics for 6 weeks. Don't go through that!
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• durango dude
            • Mar 2011
            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I had a couple of neck disc replacements. Nowhere near as significant as hip. Even then, I was told to be nutty careful about my health.

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

Originally posted by durango dude
              I had a couple of neck disc replacements. Nowhere near as significant as hip. Even then, I was told to be nutty careful about my health.
              Nutty careful is right! And right now my health is driving me nuts. Lithotripsy went fine, but that night I was back in the ER with intense pain, equal to the worst I've ever felt. Was in the hospital until Fri. The following Mon. was back in the ER, back in the hospital until yesterday. Long story short, one of my back surgeries had pulled that kidney's ureter into an extra-small curve, the stone bits got trapped in the curve, and gave me a massive kidney infection. Dr. put in a stent and I was on IV antibiotics for four days. None of this could be seen on Xray because of the spine hardware in the same area. Next week I go have the doctor manually remove the stone bits (through a catheter), then remove the stent a week after that, and hopefully I'm done. I need to make some major diet changes and be much more careful from here on out.

I was doing fine until I Googled "sepsis." That is NOT something you want to play with!

g.
              Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...