• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Anyone use a hardware VPN?

When we move overseas we will probably want to have a US presence for some Internet activities like banking, streaming, or online shopping. I use a software VPN for work but that's only good for my work computer, not all our other devices.

I was going to setup 2 networks in our new apartment. One would be for the "local" internet and the other would be for the VPN. ​​​Does anyone use a hardware VPN that they'd recommend?

Thanks
    Paul
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I use PIA www.privateinternetaccess.com which is software VPN, but lets you connect through their servers so you can appear to be anywhere in the world. It lets me keep secure anything I'm working on regarless of which public intenet access point I happen to be connected.
    Chr's

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

How's a hardware VPN different from software? Wouldn't the hardware be harder to configure, based on which country you are in?
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by radhak
        How's a hardware VPN different from software? Wouldn't the hardware be harder to configure, based on which country you are in?
        The hardware VPN puts everything connected to the router behind the VPN. With the software VPN, you have to install the software on each device that needs to be on the VPN and the subscription is usually per device. Devices like my TV that have the built-in Amazon and Netflix don't work with the software VPN.

I wish my parents internet was faster because then I'd consider setting up a tunnel between their house and ours.

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I used CLOAKBOX ----- which was a fantastic VPN (WiTopia). It worked really well with my Packet8.

Some providers will block VPN, these days for what they claim is security concerns.
          Last edited by durango dude; 01-06-2018, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Holbren
            • Oct 2004
            • Heathrow, FL.

I use both hardware and software VPN. The software app runs on the computers, no issue and easy to use. The hardware VPN is if I want to connect non computer type devices I can just connect them to the router. The VPN router is an older ASUS I had and configured to the VPN provider settings. The hard part was setting up the router to be plugged into another router, only have one internet connection. I finally found a tutorial and it worked like a charm. Main router is 10.0.1.1 I think and VPN router had to be set to 10.0.2.1

If you only want to connect a computer, just use the software app. I use NordVPN and there are deals out there if you look around, often on their own site. With the software app you can select the VPN type and country you want to connect through.
            Brian
            Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
            "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
            www.holbren.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
              atgcpaul commented
              Editing a comment
              OK, thanks. Yes, NordVPN seems to be the front runner and I like that I can setup my own router and point it to one of Nord's VPN servers. I plan to setup our new place like yours. The outermost would be on the host country's IP with the Nord router right behind it.
          • radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Using NordVPN can I appear to have logged in from a country of choice? I need to do this to conduct some business transactions from my old country, and and this particular company's login procedures are archaic enough that they never envisaged anybody needing to login from outside the country.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• atgcpaul
              atgcpaul commented
              Editing a comment
              If you go here, https://nordvpn.com/servers/, you can see where Nord has different VPNs setup. If you're old country is on the list, then you should be good to go.

• Holbren
              Holbren commented
              Editing a comment
              As mentioned, depends on the country but there are many there. You use their app, go to server list and pick the country and connection type. You also will get a map and can click the country choice for quick connection and they will choose the server.
          • atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I setup Netflix on our loaner TV last night. I'm using my US credentials through the local ISP (no VPN yet) but I'm wondering if I'm seeing a region difference or not. It's hard to tell because I don't think the remote control works well for this Netflix app (the TV runs Android).

Can someone check for me? Is the new Star Trek Discovery series available on US Netflix? I don't remember seeing it a week ago back home. When I watched it, it says it's a Netflix original series which I know isn't right because it started on CBS. I'm kind of excited because I've been really wanting to see it but didn't want to pay CBS. The first few episodes have been really good. On the flip side, I don't see Altered Carbon on here.

Comment

• d_meister
              Established Member
              • Feb 2009
              • La Conner, WA.
              • BT3000

I searched for "star trek discovery and came up with this: Click image for larger version

Name:	image_23760.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	832636
              Attached Files
              Last edited by d_meister; 02-03-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

I signed up for NordVPN last night. Easy enough to use. I haven't taken the plunge in getting a hardware VPN but Nord allows it. It also allows you to run 5 simultaneous connections using their app. Some other VPN services only allow one connection at a time.

Anyway, I definitely get different Netflix programming here which is kind of nice because I am really liking the new Star Trek Discovery series. If I want to watch US Netflix, I just jump on the VPN back to the US. You do take a hit to your internet speed, though. On Speedtest.Net, I'm getting roughly 2/3 the speed of what I get without the VPN for both download and upload--still fast enough for streaming, though.

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

There's no such thing as a hardware VPN, but I understand what you guys are saying. Just to be educational, it's the LOCATION of the VPN software that you are talking about. Your VPN software can run on your own computer, using either the built-in VPN clients or add-on clients, or it could run on other hardware such as a router or dedicated appliance.

You don't generally want EVERYTHING to go through a VPN, only the things you are trying to hide and/or appear to come from another location. The VPN will always be slower than native.

Source: Have been a network engineer for over 30 years.

Comment

Working...