X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

What truck to get

I'm looking to get a truck. Finally got sick of borrowing my friends or renting from home depot. I want a back row but not a full back doors with 6 - 6.5' bed. I don't want that extra length full doors add. I also want a rear view camera. Budget is $35k. Right now I'm leaning towards the Tundra and F150. Reviews seems to give the F150 the nod in terms of performance but Toyota is very well known for it's reliability and resale value (2 things that are on the top of my list. probably 1 and 2.) Plus all the toyota trucks comes standard with rear view camera. What do you guys think.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm a GM guy and on my 4th GMC Sierra. 2001 is still running with over 200k miles and my daughter has it now, 2006 was made u-shaped by my wife, no injuries, and replaced with a 2008 which was much bigger. My current truck is a 2014 Sierra Denali, even bigger still, and I love it and have had no issues with it at all other than parking it in some older parking ramps. My boss has the 2016 Denali and is retuning it under CA Lemon law after 4 sets of brakes, two water pumps and a number of other issues.

On the GMC side, the Canyon and Colorado are nice trucks with plenty of space and are available with the 6.5' bed. A friend of my daughter has the Colorado and it appears to be nearly the same size as her 2001 Sierra.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the F150 or the Tundra.
    Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

My last couple of trucks were f150s I wanted a smaller Ford Explorer 4 door truck but they were more expensive than the full size truck and the mileage didn't seem that much better, if any, so I bought the super crew. We really enjoy the full size back doors and would never ever ever consider a truck with the dinky half doors or slide up seats. There is so much room in the back seat area. I leave the back seats folded down and have a piece of cheap thin carpet protecting the backs. It holds all kind of groceries, fishing tackle, tools or whatever and is so much more secure than laying in the back bed. When we had our Labrador Retrievers this was their favorite place to ride.
      Im not sure about the new Aluminum Ford bodies and would probably opt for something else, unless you are in the rust belt, not sure how the Alu would handle the salt.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I have a 2004 F150 SuperCab and it's awesome. If you don't consider how horrible the engine is...

While I am not likely to buy a Toyota any time in the future as I want to support American business and workers, I also don't like feeling like that loyalty is being taken for granted. A pity too. I really like the new Super Duty...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• KenBurris
          KenBurris commented
          Editing a comment
          pretty close as far as workers -https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-most-american-trucks-for-2015.html
      • JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've been looking at F150's for awhile myself. I agree with you about the overall length with the full sized doors on the back, but a friend has one and I love the room in back. Another thing about SuperCabs with the smaller doors, I've read they're a PITA in a parking lot to load into the back since they open the opposite way and if you're dropping someone off from the backseat, you have to open the front doors first.

Just my two cents, I know it doesn't help 😀.
        Joe

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Thanks for the opinions guys.

JoeyGee. One thing I like about the Tundra double cab is that the back doors open normally. Non suicide type. They're just smaller than full sized doors.

I actually test drove the Tundra Sunday and thought the back seat was roomy enough for regular sized adults. Besides we're a family of shorties. No one over 5'9"
          Couldn't get to Ford dealership in time before they closed so I may swing by this weekend to check out the F150's .

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

I needed to replace my 20 year old Ford Ranger in 2015. It had served me very well and was the cheapest vehicle I've ever owned with respect to repair costs. I sometimes drive a Ford F150 at work, and considered buying one. What stopped me is that Ford seems to think bigger is better, and I found that I couldn't drive the F150 through my bank drive-through lane without folding in a mirror. Too big!
            I ended up buying a Chevy Colorado, my first GM vehicle in over 30 years. I got the V6 with the towing package so I can tow just about anything I want. I got the long box and at the last minute, changed from an extended cab to the crew cab. Yes, it is long, so you need a garage that can accommodate it. But I am SOOOO glad that I got the crew cab. I've had passengers and grandchild car seats in the back far more often than I expected. Everything I needed to fit into the bed has fit. It isn't a full-size truck (by today's standards), but it is plenty large. I recommend looking at the Colorado. It will fit your budget.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

My F150 super crew has the short box but with the tail gate down it accommodates a 4x8 sheet of plywood perfectly. It will also fit in a "standard" garage, though there is no room for the usual clutter in front.
              I agree is slick, they certainly gotten bigger, to big for everyday use in my opinion. My F150 with 90k miles is an 03 and looks to be about the same size as my meighbors new Colorado. He reports his gas mileage is in the mid to high 20s, while my mileage is 13. Another deciding factor when considering a vehicle.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

jussi, not to hijack your thread, just some discussion on engines may help make up your mind.....

dbhost, can you describe horrible engine? On my 5.4 triton engine, at about 30,000 miles I noticed the oil level occasionally being disturbingly low, so I checked it frequently and found it lost 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. I parked in a garage so I knew it wasn't leaking. The dealer kept it for a week and couldn't find a problem. 2-3 dealer trips later the service manager told me that Ford considered 1 quart per 1000 miles acceptable and wasn't a warranty issue. I assure them that I had already purchased my last Ford product because 1 quart per 1000 miles was NOT acceptable to me. Anyway, this truck doesn't always use that much oil and I seldom drive it that far, so it's not that much trouble to keep up with it, its just the principle of the thing,

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                  My F150 super crew has the short box but with the tail gate down it accommodates a 4x8 sheet of plywood perfectly. It will also fit in a "standard" garage, though there is no room for the usual clutter in front.
                  I agree is slick, they certainly gotten bigger, to big for everyday use in my opinion. My F150 with 90k miles is an 03 and looks to be about the same size as my meighbors new Colorado. He reports his gas mileage is in the mid to high 20s, while my mileage is 13. Another deciding factor when considering a vehicle.
                  Along with weight and towing capacity.
                  Last year, I sold one of my favorite vehicles, my 2wd 94 Ranger. I had obtained it from my mechanics, with a damaged engine (guy brought it down wondering what that noise was, after driving with one quart of oil). Through them and friends, I was able to get a replacement engine, with 40K out of a rear ended one and effectively rebuilt the thing and drove it for 11 years with only maintenance and a starter replacement. But a few years ago, I was gifted a 4wd 01 Sierra extended cab, shortbed, with 100K on it. I have used that more as the amount of weight (little more then half ton at times) I have hauled went up, to where the Ranger would struggle (designed for quarter ton). I don't have a trailer as I didn't see the need compared to a truck, but if your going smaller as you rarely haul more weight, a trailer may work better then a bigger truck for you.
                  The other side of that coin.
                  For the amount of driving I did, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. I don't think I was fiscally better off with a small and large truck, then just one.

She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I miss my 93 Ranger. That was a great little truck.
                    Joe

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania
                      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost

While I am not likely to buy a Toyota any time in the future as I want to support American business and workers, I also don't like feeling like that loyalty is being taken for granted. A pity too. I really like the new Super Duty...
                      Curious thing is that the Toyota Tundra is made in the US by US workers - unlike most of the "domestic" brands. So you pretty much have to buy a foreign brand to support US workers.

--------------------------------------------------
                      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                        2-3 dealer trips later the service manager told me that Ford considered 1 quart per 1000 miles acceptable and wasn't a warranty issue.
                        That is true, all the automakers consider 1 quart or less of oil consumption per 1000 miles to be normal consumption. Usually consumption is lower than that, but as with any manufactured product some products will not perform as well. Honda is a bit more known for "high" oil consumption, but every brand makes some vehicles that approach the quart per 1000 mile consumption rate.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

I think that this F150 is it for me with Ford. I expect to get 2x as many miles on it before it goes away. I've noticed that the front end is not as tight as it use to be, and it has only been on about 20 miles of dirt road in its life. The last time I had it jacked up I checked all the joints and most of them had the rubber seals rotted away or missing, and no grease fittings. Don't you just love throw away vehicles! My buddy just replaced everything under his boys F150, if I remember right he said it was close to 1k in parts. Not a job I look forward to tackling.

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

OK, gonna buck the trend here. I'm real satisfied with my 2008.5 Nissan Titan Crew Cab. The bed is 7'3" so not quite a full bed nor a short bed. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it, except for some parking lots. It is loooooong.

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...