• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Rod Kirby

For those who don't know him, Rod was one of the original members invited to join SamCondor.com when Sam started what evolved into BT3Central and now the SawDustZone. Researching a subject yesterday I came across a post by Rod and saw that he hadn't posted in almost 2 years. I sent a private message to him and got the following reply this morning from his wife, Carole.

Hello Pappy, I have been wondering how I might get in touch with you. I am so sorry to have to tell you that Rod died this past October 12th. He was ill for quite some time and unable to continue staying in contact with friends. He died peacefully at home in the end from complications of emphysema of his lungs, rather than the bladder cancer for which he had surgery 3 years ago. I know that he always had very fond memories of you all, the time you spent together in Houston, and he very particularly loved the Texas Map you made for him. I wonder please if I could have your address with a view to sending it back to you. It seems a shame that such a beautiful piece of work should stay in Australia and in the end finish up with someone it has no relevance to as Rod and I did not have children. I would appreciate it if you might pass this information on to the others in your group, as other than Loren I have no idea of names or how to contact them.
    I hope that all goes well with you and your family. Best wishes, Carole Kirby.

Rod was a friend to all who came in contact with him, either online or in person. He was frequently the subject of good natured ribbing about the cleanliness of his shop.

Rest in Peace my friend, I know your place in Heaven will forever be sawdust free!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Thanks Pappy for updating us. I've been wondering about Rod. He was a wonderful friend to all. His skills were way above par. He would make MDF and marine plywood into jigs, fixtures, and shop storage solutions that many times were just amazing.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Sorry to hear this. I have a picture taken with him somewhere. We met in Tokyo one very rainy day when he came through for a couple of days, and then he went on to the USA for your meeting with him in Houston - I think. The pict below has the date of October 4, 2004. (After exporting and importing photos, some of the dates on some photos took on dates of the import/export. So, I am not sure if that date is correct.)

Found the picture:
      Last edited by leehljp; 02-22-2017, 11:37 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

While I never had the honor or pleasure of a personal contact, I remember many of his posts and the pictures he would often post of his shop and projects. His contributions were well received and I know we have all missed him.

Rest in peace, Mr. Kirby.

Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by leehljp
          Sorry to hear this. I have a picture taken with him somewhere. We met in Tokyo one very rainy day when he came through for a couple of days, and then he went on to the USA for your meeting with him in Houston - I think. The pict below has the date of October 4, 2004. (After exporting and importing photos, some of the dates on some photos took on dates of the import/export. So, I am not sure if that date is correct.)

Found the picture:
          These were taken in Houston in November 2004 when Rod and Carole came to visit so your date is right.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Sorry to hear of this news. Rod was an inspiration to many with his creative innovation and shop discipline - he will be missed.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

I don't believe I ever interacted directly with Rod other than perhaps commenting on each other's threads here, but I definitely remember him and was one of the guys I looked up to when first starting WWing. I remember he had an immaculately clean shop and people always gave him both a hard time and much respect over it.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                • Dec 2006
                • Lake County, Illinois
                • Ryobi BT-3000

I absolutely loved Rod's posts, I found his ideas to be very helpful. And his photos always made me jealous of his workmanship and his insanely clean workshop. His contributions are his great legacy to this site. Sad news.

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Thank Pappy for posting I enjoyed Rod's posting and pictures he was on inspiration on many project over the years. I bet he is in heaven clean up the shops. I remember the red and white check cover his saw RIP Rod.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I will miss Rod. He was one of the members that I got to know beyond woodworking. - Met in person, have this mental vision of him on his Vespa. Knew how he hated organized sports - I used to ask him about the Australian Open in Melborne and oh how he ranted on sports. even though that might be the reason for me to go to Melborne, well, that and seeing Rod.

He used to have this blue and silver sign in his shop that Said THINK. I had one exactly like it, it was a promotional item from IBM who he used to work for and my dad got his (now mine) from the IBM sales guys in the early 70s' Another thing that tied us together as those were the only two I've ever seen.

I still have a few of his BT3000 jigs he sent me. I shall have to post them here.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.

Sadly all the pictures were lost... I shall have to check my archives.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Rod's posts inspired my attitude about woodworking, having spent most of my life dealing with metal fabrication. I printed out most of his posts that contained photos and have them in a notebook that I use for reference. I wonder how much if any did woodworking dust contributed to his emphysema? There had to be dust in his shop, somewhere, he must have just scrubbed it before the photos. Rod was a good influence on BT3
                        He will be missed.

Comment

• Turaj
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                          • BT3000 (1998)

Thanks Pappy for posting this. I was wondering about him for quite some time but did not want to ask as I was afraid of the answer. Please pass our condolences to Carole.

He was meticulous in his work and as it was said his clean shop was always focus of fun discussion. He had many ideas on how to improve not only the saw but also the whole shop. I still have plans to make a few of his jigs and additions.

And of course he was very fond of his scooter with the L (learners) permit!

Rest In Peace Rod
                          Turaj (in Toronto)
                          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• os1kne
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Atlanta, GA
                            • BT3100

Thanks for posting. I always enjoyed reading Rod's posts and seeing his immaculate shop.
                            Bill

Comment

• gerti
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I don't think I can clean my shop without thinking of Rod. He was an inspiration and his posts taught me a lot. My thoughts go out to Carole.

Comment

Working...