• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

DSLR camera question

Our anniversary is coming up and I didn't do a good job getting LOML a present for her birthday (OK, I got her nothing)--which is one month apart. Anyway, LOML used to really like photography many moons ago and back then I bought her a Minolta SLR and a few AF lenses. Well, Minolta went the way of the dodo as well as standard film cameras so I got her a Canon ELPH which she liked but then that gave way to her iPhone and now Samsung phone. She's also a big scrap booker so pictures are important to her. However, she also likes convenience like saving pictures to a memory card and having them printed at CVS.

Sony now owns all the Minolta stuff and I'm thinking I could get her a Sony Alpha camera which will accept the Minolta lenses. She I just forget about Sony and go another route?

Is this folly? Should we do the trip to Hawaii which she's been wanting for a while instead? But then you kind of need a good camera for that, too. We've been to Hawaii a couple times already but not with the kids which she insists on bringing.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Paul, I will start by saying that I am a Canon man and have a good number $$$s invested in Canon lenses and glass. So if you said what camera should I buy I would probably say one of the Canon DSLRs. I have not looked at the current Alpha but I know a friend of mine got the version for about 2 years back and was very happy with it. The question really starts with the Minolta glass (lenses). If they are high quality lenses and to rebuy the equivalent in a new format would set you back $1000s then buying the Alpha would preserve that investment. If those many moons are really many then there may not be much investment to protect. It would also be crucial to double check that each lens will actually fit on the new camera and more importantly operate fully. With the advances in electronics sometimes old lenses will fit new bodies but only work in "manual" mode i.e auto focus will not work and sometimes neither will aperture setting.

So if the old Minolta lenses will really only be ballast in the camera bag, forget the Sony and go buy a Canon!
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

as a follow up it seems you can get the latest canon rebel with a good bundle of stuff and a couple of lenses on amazon for $600 and change. If she is more serious then the 80D or 7D may suit if you budget stretches up to a couple of grand...
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm definitely leaning towards a Canon now. After a little more research, the Sony doesn't have a viewfinder or a hot shoe. You have to step up to the next Sony to get those and I do that, I might as well get this Canon bundle from Costco

http://www.costco.com/Canon-EOS-Rebe...100288979.html

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

The Minolta Maxxum lens series will work with the Sony Alpha cameras fully. Here is the compatibility list.
          http://www.sonycenter.lu/en/content/...nolta-slt-sony

One thing to keep in mind is that the Maxxum dates from 1985 and the cameras and lenses being designed now run circles around the 70s and 80's lenses. (I mean in terms of image quality and AF focusing speed)
          Despite that there is a market for used lenses from that period - some people like the soft focus and older look.
          You may want to take inventory and see if what you have is worth tying you to that brand. and whether you want to sell them.(look on eBay for complete sales prices)
          There are lots of good cameras out there. Sony has its fans, Canon and Nikon are the top dogs. And I'm a big fan of the Mirrorless micro four thirds Olympus cameras for their compact size and optics.
          A photographer has lots of personal reasons for picking systems... you should get their input before surprising them.
          within a manufacturer they have full frame cameras and crop frame... two lines of semi compatible lenses and they have cheaper kit lenses and pro series lenses.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-02-2016, 09:34 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

The old lenses are likely not going to work with todays autofocus etc. So you'd basically giving away a lot of the features the camera has. For a fabulous camera on a budget, I'd look at the Sony a6000 with the kit lens (E-mount, definitely not compatible with the old Minolta lenses). That is a mirror-less camera and is much more compact than the old bread of DSLRs.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I guess a trip to the store with the wife is in order then. Thanks everyone.

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I am also a Canon fan, having a really nice New F1 which I purchased back in the early 80's. Back then I needed it for my free-lance work doing industrial photography and in support of my technical illustration and documentation work. I've got few lenses, including a flat-field for copy work, bellows, and many other attachments.

So last year I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be nice if I could simply upgrade to one of the new Canon DSLR models and perhaps be able to use some of these accessories from my old system?"

NOT SO! After discussing this with several different stores, online places, etc. it appears that absolutely nothing can be used except some lens filters. Even my hearty Speedlight would be risky as everyone thinks that the electronics on a new digital might be damaged. None of the people I talked to thought that any of the lens' that I have would even couple without an adapter (if one was even available) and then it might not meter properly.

Frankly, I find that a bit frustrating as it's just not in my nature to recognize anything in terms of obsolescence.

The other question you might consider, and you may want to discuss this with your wife instead of surprising her, is the shear logistics of carrying a camera of bulk like a DSLR with lenses and accessories on vacation. In many cases a larger DSLR is simply inconvenient when mobility is important (carrying it on public transportation, in and out of museums, restaurants, etc.; there is also the concern for safety as such gear makes one a prominent target for would-be thieves. Thankfully a modern DSLR is quieter than my F1, but many of the upscale models are also bulkier. Many times I just opted to use a more compact camera, even though the versatility might be less.

(Funny story is that my late in-laws went to Europe back in the 70's. My beloved FIL took his super-8 and the 35 mm SLR along with tons of film, lenses, and even a tripod. Got some lovely pictures, but also some not-so great out-of-focus ones in their rush and in crowds, buses, etc. Problem with it all was that while he had a significant photographic record, he really missed the once-in-a-lifetime three-week European vacation. Many times when we sat to look at the slides and movies, he'd be asking his wife, "Where was that?" Guess he got caught up in the photography, more than the vacation.) Worse perhaps is that while we got to see my MIL in almost every picture, he was rarely seen, except for the occasional headless shot where my MIL was behind the camera. He never dared set the camera up on the tripod and step back for a photo, as there was always a risk of a 'snatch and run'.)

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  I guess a trip to the store with the wife is in order then. Thanks everyone.
                  Handling the various bodies is always a good idea is the do vary in size and weight. Best Buy or Costco would be places you could get to hold them but you may get the best price on Amazon of from somewhere like Adorama or B&H. The latter will probably have no tax and sometimes no shipping. If you were opting for one of the mid range prosumers like the 7D saving tax on a $2000 purchase would buy you some new tools!!
                  Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

I'm a Nikon guy, but if I was starting over at this point I would go mirrorless. The compactness of the body and lenses are a huge advantage over the DSLRs, and the quality is as good now. Something like a RX100 Mk3 or an a6000 would be my choice now to supplement my D5100.
                    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JoeyGee
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

I know next to nothing about cameras, but LOML had a Minolta SLR with a bunch of lenses, most probably 20 years old. She uses all of them with her Sony Alpha. I don't know if they are fully functional, but they do at least autofocus.
                      Joe

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Snuck out to Best Buy while fam is at a PTA meeting. I know for sure my wife will like the Sony mirrorless much more than the Canon DSLR solely based on size and weight. She does have small hands. I also brought along one of the Minolta AF lenses and it was too big to fit. Bummer.

Just a second ago, I finished up with an online chat with a rep at Adorama. Very helpful, but the adapter to enable all the AF features costs almost as much as the camera body. I'd be better off buying their bundle for a nice chunk of change or trying to convince the wife that getting the Canon for $400 less will mean we have that much more money to spend on our vacation. Hmmmm...

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Photography and quality camera equipment creates nearly as much of a cash vacuum as tool addiction. You end up with fewer items but they usually have a pretty high OMG$$ factor.

Originally posted by atgcpaul

Just a second ago, I finished up with an online chat with a rep at Adorama. Very helpful, but the adapter to enable all the AF features costs almost as much as the camera body. I'd be better off buying their bundle for a nice chunk of change or trying to convince the wife that getting the Canon for $400 less will mean we have that much more money to spend on our vacation. Hmmmm...
                          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

You really find out about the OMG$$ factor when you have to file an insurance claim for loss of camera equip. In 04 when my house flooded my Konika, lenses and all the acessories were ruined. I got pennies on the dollar and decided I'd never invest that much money in a camera and equipment again. Now I only have a Minolta Dimage.

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                              You really find out about the OMG$$ factor when you have to file an insurance claim for loss of camera equip. In 04 when my house flooded my Konika, lenses and all the acessories were ruined. I got pennies on the dollar and decided I'd never invest that much money in a camera and equipment again. Now I only have a Minolta Dimage.
                              Always worth making sure you have the can "claim for new" option on a home policy. If your home burns down and they are not going to replace the contents at new prices then may as well not bother with the policy,
                              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...