• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Duh! moment

I had some wood that seemed kind of moist - it was PT pine fresh from the store which almost always feels wet.
    I pulled out my General MMD4E moisture meter, the one with two sharp prongs. Haven't really used it in several years. I took the 9V battery out last time I used it, not wanting it to leak as I use it infrequently.
    Put a battery in, all I could find was one whose package said 2013 - no date code on the Duracell.
    Pushed the power button - nothing. DANG!
    Tried another battery - still nothing. Must be old batteries. Pull out the voltmeter - 9V and 9.2V respectively - they're OK.
    Stewing around about how foreign made crap doesn't last and how I hardly used it. Thining about taking it apart as its well past warranty.
    Go online and find the instructions.

DUH! It says to turn it on, press and hold the power button for more than three seconds. Likewise to turn it off.

Yeah, worked perfectly.
    Some 4x4 I had stored under a tarp (that leaked a bit) in the backyard, measured 7% or so,
    The 1x4 PT pine I got from the blue box store measured 33 to 37%, depending on where you measured it.
    That's a lot!

Anyway, glad my meter works.
    It's going to be an outdoor plant stand, I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-03-2016, 12:10 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have a General Dual Pin like that and I had to read the directions also. Got mine about 3 months ago and I had the same problem. Seems like mine is more like 2 seconds. Could be wrong. I know that it didn't come on just from pressing the button.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah OK, for those needing a refresher,
      Hold the power switch for more than 3 seconds to turn it on or off.
      Press the Log/brick button to switch between wood and other contruction materials (bricks, sheetrock etc)
      Press the Key/sound button to lock the reading (e.g. if you are measuring the bottom of the board and can't see the meter) and to turn off the beeping.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Loring,

I don't know why I have delayed so long in getting one. I have used it half a dozen times already. I also ordered a wand type of metal scanner. When I came into some wood - pine about 2 months ago and started cleaning up some oak from church pews, I needed both. The pine was OK. But the church pews were stored under a shed for 2 years. I think the moisture level was 7%. OK for being outside.

The church pews were upholstered, so it had small staples in it. The wand did a great job. Some broke off down below the surface and I marked the spots with a black marker.

I probably will do as you do - after a while, I will set the moisture meter aside and should consider taking the battery out and store it beside the pin meter. BTW, Does yours have calibration points built into the cap? Mine does and I like that feature.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I don't own a moisture meter because if the wood is wet/dry I don't figure there is anything I can do about it.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Thank you for the chuckle. (I am not alone)
            I was looking at new multimeters, because my expensive one, didn't have a light. I was looking on Ebay, for both second hand and to see what, if any was the resale value (if I upgraded) and found a new one of mine, with the stickers still on it, saying hit x for the light. (hold a button for around 3 seconds)
            It had been better then 10 years when I last used the light function and finding that, made me happy again, with my $300+ (at the time), one.
            I need to grab my label maker and put one in the battery compartment with hint.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

I keep thinking of getting one especially as I am not starting to horde green wood for turning. Any particular recommendations?
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
                I keep thinking of getting one especially as I am not starting to horde green wood for turning. Any particular recommendations?
                The General one MMD4E seems to be a pretty good meter once you are able to turn it on! Reasonably priced for about $30 if you shop around. Not stocked at HD for $30 and change but they will ship to store for free.

Amazon has it for about $28, free ship with Prime.
                You gotta love Amazon, though. One listing has it for $28 free Prime shipping, or you can get a 2-pack for $149 before shipping costs. And on the same page, they have replacement pins if you break them, for $24 plus $6.75 for shipping. I assume that's for a pair? $28 will get you a complete new meter. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...keywords=mmd4e
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-02-2016, 11:35 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
                  Loring,

...BTW, Does yours have calibration points built into the cap? Mine does and I like that feature.
                  No calibration points in the cover...

I'm going to get the label maker and put a note on the meter to hold the power button. Otherwise If I do not use it for another 2 years and I'll repeat this process all over again.

HOLD PWR BTN 3 SECS
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-03-2016, 12:08 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...