• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Snow anyone?

Got about an inch here in Chattanooga - didn't even totally cover my unraked leaves. (The wind has been stronger than normal though.) My brother lives just outside Washingto , DC. He says they're predicting 27" there. Just wonder if you guys got any?
    Richard
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by phrog
    Got about an inch here in Chattanooga - didn't even totally cover my unraked leaves. (The wind has been stronger than normal though.) My brother lives just outside Washingto , DC. He says they're predicting 27" there. Just wonder if you guys got any?
    Yeah, we got a bit. We also live about 15 miles NW of DC. I haven't measured but the TV reported 21" so far at the time I took this pic at 8am. I shoveled twice yesterday and already twice this morning, but I haven't made it around the corner yet. It's snowing about 1-2" an hour and supposed to go to 6pm tonight.

I know my neighbor has a snow blower but he hasn't started yet. I can't imagine he's going to get much progress if he doesn't start soon. I don't think his blower is big enough. My back is still good but my arms are getting tired.

I was supposed to fly to a conference in San Diego yesterday but that flight was cancelled because of the connecting flight in Charlotte. Anyway, rescheduled for Monday and I am more than happy to shovel so my wife doesn't have to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-23 11.54.40.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	787564

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Not me, but it's been colder than a witches knees here in coastal Texas!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Here in NY's Southern Tier we've still got grass. It's cold, about 22° I'm guessing at the moment, but so far this year I don't think we've seen even a total of 3 inches so far for the season.

I talked to my BIL about two hours ago. He lives only a few miles southeast of D.C. At that time he thinks he's got at least 20 inches and it was still snowing quite hard with pretty good winds and lots of drifting. The roads there are a mess.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

How long before we start hearing of flat and low slope roofs caving in? Is the snow wet enough?

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
            How long before we start hearing of flat and low slope roofs caving in? Is the snow wet enough?
            That definitely has me concerned. I have a covered wrap around porch and we easily got 30". The roof is sloped but not much. I'm tempted to step out onto it from the 2nd floor and start shoveling.

A utility building in a nearby condo complex had a roof collapse today. The 250 units had their gas running through it so all those people are displaced to a community center overnight. They don't expect repairs to be done until next week.

The governor also closed a major north south freeway here--35 miles--so the road crews can do their thing. I'm still blown away from the dumb@sses around here still out on the road.

My local pub which is walking distance was open today but my wife gave me that look so we ate dinner at home tonight.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

We actually had a few flakes fall in central SC yesterday but it melted off everything later in the day and didn't last on the roads at all before melting. It's cold, at least for us, here. We've been in the 20s in the morning. Heat pump struggles in this old poorly insulated house at that temperature.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Just a few miles north of us at Plains reported seeing some snow flakes during the Jimmy Carter and Paula Deen cook and paint event. Boy that's a matched pair. We came back early from our Jan week at Mexico beach because of the cold, it was in the low 30's raining and misting and the wind blowing 35mph, everything you want at the beach. At least the rain water kept the sand from becoming airborne and not sandblasting everything. I don't see how you could stand living on the northern shores where it floods and have ice and snow everywhere, it can't get much colder than that to me. I guess the cold at our beach made a lot of others stir crazy and they went shopping because the shop that sells my tiny tables sold 3, 1 custom order and several likely sales, I must get busy.

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I don't really wish mounds of snow on those of you who aren't used to it, and who's municipalities aren't equipped to deal with it, but it sure is nice to be reading about someone else dealing with this stuff instead of us for a change! We do have 10-12" on the ground, but compared to last year and other areas, it's next to nothing.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I've been watching the news reports, and this is really, well shocking to me. That is some crazy snow. I haven't lived anywhere it snowed since I was in grade school. So everything you folks up north deal with regarding snow is pretty alien to me... Looks like a lot of work just getting the driveway, and cars cleared off just to get to work!
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost
                      I've been watching the news reports, and this is really, well shocking to me. That is some crazy snow. I haven't lived anywhere it snowed since I was in grade school. So everything you folks up north deal with regarding snow is pretty alien to me... Looks like a lot of work just getting the driveway, and cars cleared off just to get to work!
                      Having grown up in the NE, I think this is the most snow I've ever experienced. I'm sure our friends in MN and upstate NY are snickering. The office is closed today but I have to telework. Same with my wife. Kids already are off school today (school was closed already for a teacher in service day) and tomorrow.

We usually park the cars up towards the house instead of down towards the street. I wised up this year and parked down towards the street so there'd be less driveway to clean up. It worked, duh.

My snow shovel just made it through this one. It survived 2, maybe 3 seasons. There's a crack extending from the front edge to about the middle of shovel. Only the metal blade is holding it together. It was a great shovel.

I kept my Samsung S5 phone on me the whole time shoveling so I could listen to music. There's a built in app that counts step. I was a little irked when after 6 hours of shoveling, it popped up a notification to "Be more active". I had only reached 50% of my step count.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Step counts on Galaxies aren't that reliable. I once did a 10 mile run while listening to music on my S4 and it told me I was only at 50% of my steps for the day. Our phones are out to kill us.
                        Joe

Comment

• twistsol
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The amount of snow we get in MN is a myth. The reality is about 100 inches a year, but what we do get sticks around until spring. It's rare that we get 10 or more inches at a time.

I don't track steps on my phone but an hour of sitting and plowing snow on the tractor has my Fitbit thinking I've climbed upwards of 200 flights of stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Do any of you guys in snow areas have back-up generators? Do you feel you need them? Back up heat sources?
                            In the Deep South about the only reason we might need a backup generator is the occasional tornado knocking out power for several days and the yearly hurricanes that blow the remaining power lines down. Then a generator is only needed to power up the freezer, well and a few lights.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
                              Do any of you guys in snow areas have back-up generators? Do you feel you need them? Back up heat sources?
                              In the Deep South about the only reason we might need a backup generator is the occasional tornado knocking out power for several days and the yearly hurricanes that blow the remaining power lines down. Then a generator is only needed to power up the freezer, well and a few lights.
                              I'll clump myself in the "snow area" after this storm. No, I don't have backup anything. We are walking distance to City Hall so in the nearly 10 years I've lived here, we've had pretty good services from our public utilities. We also live on a snow emergency route so our street always gets plowed first. Some people in our area didn't see a plow until Wednesday.

6 years ago we got hit by a big windstorm. Knocked down trees, etc. My neighbor's tree fell on the power lines and we were without power for 12+ hours. My other neighbor who lives on the cross street didn't lose power. She let me plug a long extension cord to her house to keep the fridge going and she offered to put us up but we just needed a fan for the day. Every other outage has been less than a minute.

For this storm, I was trying to think about how I'd heat the house if we lost power. Gas fired furnace, but electric powered blower--no go. We have a gas insert fireplace, but you need to flip a wall switch to open the gas valve. Does that wall switch really require 120V? I'm not sure how to bypass that to get the fire going.

Comment

Working...