• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

High School Robotics team in my shop

Last weekend the high school robotics team needed a wood shop in order to build some practice obstacles for their upcoming challenge. We started the morning with a safety briefing and got to work with materials donated by a local cabinet shop. The kids built a teeter totter, a rough terrain, mote, a berm, and a base to mount the obstacles.

It was a good time working with the kids, but I decided wood shop teacher is out as a possible alternative career. Even though there was no horsing around, I had to interrupt in a couple of instances where safety could have been issue. e.g. hand too close to the laser line on the miter saw. My stress level was off the chart. They'll be back next weekend to build a transport cart and some additional obstacles. My safety officer will be on site as well next time.

Here are some low quality photos of the rough terrain and the berm being assembled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RoughTerrain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	801025 Click image for larger version

Name:	Barrier.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	801026
    Chr's
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Kudos to you for opening your shop to the students.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Congrats on being able to help pass on skills to the next generation.

I share your angst regarding youth, and the use of power tools... It would be helpful if you had at least one more experienced, safe working adult to help you monitor, and reinforce safe work practices with these kids. If you were closer by I would gladly volunteer!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

We were all invincible once,. Congrats on helping the kids who know how many woodworkers will come out of this experience. Have fun with them, they are our future.

Tom

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

When I am not working, I am likely spending every "spare" hour doing something robotics related. It's a blast and I am constantly blown away by the ingenuity of today's youth. Yes, it can be frustrating at times, but it is so rewarding and so much fun.
          Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Congratulations on opening your shop for such a youthful learning experience. While I can see how wonderful such an opportunity may be for both you and the students, I too would be on the high side of anxiety for such an event.

I don't know what it is, but I don't recall having any anxiety over such things when I was a kid. While I was careful, there just wasn't a lot of worry. Now, whenever my son or the two teenage grandsons get into such things it worries the Dickens out of me; just the thought raises my blood pressure!

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Boy, I bet the pucker factor was at max when the kids were using the saws! A lot of good can come from this. Maybe they will remember this return the use of their workshops when they grow up! I recently learned that one of my work friends that retired last year is a full time volunteer at a local high school automotive shop. He drug on several of his old muscle cars for the students to tear apart and rebuild.
              Good work!
              capncarl

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Very cool! Glad you are helping the kids out (Minnesotans are nice that way!), totally understand the stress level though! I think shop teachers (the few that are left )have to be very special people.

Comment

Working...