• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Quiet Forum over Christmas

Merry Christmas to all. Hope all of you have had a MERRY Christmas. It has been mighty quiet here the last two days.

As for me, the Mississippi tornados started at a community (Clarksdale) that I work with. I spent most of Christmas Eve and 4 hours Christmas day working with disaster relief crews and in the communities over two counties in NW MS. The pastor of one of the churches that I work with had his house totally destroyed. He was injured but OK after a trip to the emergency room. The family of another church that I work with had their house obliterated. Can't even tell where the house WAS except for foundation. The husband had about 40 stitches to his scalp. That one was at an Ag airport. The planes were less than scrap metal. Metal buildings gone. Two other families of our group of churches had houses severely damaged. One lived next door to a Mennonite family whose house was all but totally destroyed. The Mennonite community came in immediately and began working of both houses doing what they could. The Mennonite family had to move everything out to do repairs on their house; There was a crew and large truck there doing that.

Three days of storms and I am tired of them. Christmas morning at 1 AM, a second severe thunder/lightening storm came through and lightening hit somewhere within 100 yards of our house. The electricity went out on 4 houses - the town mayor's, the Police Chief's, a lawyer (high school) friend and ours. The electricity stayed off until 5:30 AM. Lightening was so bad and flooding/rain was so heavy - continuously, that I knew it was going to be a long time before the electricity was "fixed". Even if the president lived next door, I don't think a crew would have come to fix the outage in that kind of lightening/rain. In the mean time, I was planning my escape to Missouri to stay with my daughter if we couldn't cook a Christmas meal together here. It worked out, we got a couple of hours sleep and then I got a call from those with a greater need than I could imagine. I went to a clothing/food ministry center (in which I had the keys) for three families to get clothes and staples/food. They had found another place to live but needed staples and clothing to get them over the next few days.

I was amazed over one fact. About 20 homes were destroyed and 10 damaged to an un-liveable state (until repairs could be made). Disaster relief and temporary community living places were provided. However, every single family was taken in or offered housing immediately by members of the community. For these displaced families whose automobiles were destroyed, automobiles were provided or "donated/given" outright to these families by other members of the community. The Red Cross provides immediate help with Cash Cards for food and clothes and motel stay for 3 or 4 days. But most of this was not needed. I had a fellow from 100 miles away call me and offer to bring a mobile kitchen to cook. It was not needed. Our disaster relief groups here were very thankful for that and other offers, but in this case, the community of individuals took it on themselves to provide! Most of the State disaster relief help was sent to two areas east of us where the deaths occurred.
    (Our area was not the area where deaths occurred. That was about 100 miles away.) Christmas took on a new meaning this year.

AS TO CHRISTMAS gifts. One daughter was with us. The other two daughters will come later.
    What is Christmas without a new "tool"?: A Ryobi cat/corner cordless sander. I never see these at HD. I did see them online and LOML ordered one for me. Love using it already - briefly last night.

LOML has been wanting something that reminds us of Japan. So, I ordered one and will install it this morning (Saturday):

That one looked more like the Japanese ones due to the control shape and location. Some people prefer the "remotes" but LOML didn't want a separate "losable" remote.

MERRY CHRISTMAS - a little late.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

It was a warm and humid Christmas here - about 80°F.
    Nothing remarkable.

Over this Holiday, I've been reminiscing about how blessed we've been. Fortunate for work, family, health, kids graduating, working, starting families.
    I've entered the age where I don't need much so I told the kids I don't need too much stuff. My wife "gave" me a camera lens I was secretly wanting and found on eBay. And I was surprised by the red purse I gave her!
    No new tools, I have too many.

Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New Year.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      It was a warm and humid Christmas here - about 80°F.
      Nothing remarkable.

Over this Holiday, . . . And I was surprised by the red purse I gave her!
      No new tools, I have too many.

Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy New Year.
      I know the feeling and so does LOML!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have one important to-do this morning.
        My daughter went to visit the in-laws for Xmas in Nebraska.
        She had the Santa gift for the 1.5 YO delivered to my house as it comes unwrapped. It's big!
        Now I have to take it to her house and assemble it as the kid has been told that Santa left the over-sized gift at their house (if he understands) because it was too big to bring to Nebraska.
        So my task is to wrestle it into their house and set it up before they return tonight or tomorrow... tonight because I think they left early to beat some bad weather Sunday.

Now I remember the late nights wrestling together stuff for my daughter... bicycles, etc. The worst was a dollhouse. I swear the assembly wasn't too bad but the last step was to apply decals to the plastic house with all the furnishing details every wall, floor and open space had something and I recall several large sheets of decals were numbered to like 500 or so. Had to locate each one and apply according to pictures in the instructions. That took a lot longer into the wee hours than I had planned...

Click image for larger version

Name:	708700_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	787517

P.S. Awkward to handle but easy to get done. Glad I brought the Flash cell screwdriver (Supercap based screwdriver - not battery - recharges fully in 45 seconds.)
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-26-2015, 05:54 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My daughters were with husband's / boyfriends for Christmas so we are doing our family Christmas next weekend. No grandchildren yet so for the time being We're still out of the middle of the night toy assembly business.

I did manage to put in some quality and not so quality shop time Christmas Eve.

Quality - Got the motor running on my dad's old Radial Arm saw, started on the replacement table, cut and drilled the panels for a couple of storage cabinets for the shop smith accessories then needed one more sheet of plywood to finish them, built a door for the Christmas storage closet.

Non Quality - Twenty minutes going from where I knocked my drill bit case off the bench to where they were picked up and back in order.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	787518 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	787519
          Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

We celebrated Christmas at my Aunt's house in Philly. All the East Coast folks came--maybe 30 including grandkids. This year we did a "Curry Christmas". All the Aunts and Uncles cooked some curry dish from our home country of Burma. All the "kids"--my generation--crave it all the gatherings because we can't cook it as well as our parents--but we're getting there. Hands down to many of us, we prefer it over the traditional turkey/ham. I went off script, though, and BBQed a whole beef NY strip roast. It came out amazingly well if I do say so myself.

My parents have our kids for the next several days while they're on Christmas break so that I could work on the kitchen. All the counters are off, I just finished installing the new apron sink, and if I don't get stuck at work too long tomorrow, I'll start measuring and cutting the butcherblock tops which have been spray finished in my garage.

We also fit in the new Star Wars movie last night and are going out to see the last Hunger Games tonight (with a quick trip to HD because I forgot PVC cement--and that's the only thing for this plumbing job!).

Merry Christmas everyone.

Paul

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

We had 26 here for traditional English xmas lunch on the 25th. One big 26 lb turkey in the oven and another smaller (13lb) on the smoker. lots of fun and food comas had by all.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

LOML and I decided since the in laws were doing their own thing, and we didn't need to make a huge effort for everyone this year, to enjoy some alone time, on the beach, in Padre Island. So I was a bit too busy driving and enjoying the beach to look at any forums over the weekend!

Gift exchange was before Christmas as it was big stuff this year. LOML wanted new appliances, and so she got them, I did the installation and saved a bunch of money. I keep getting knee jerky about the dishwasher drain hose though, so I keep pulling the bottom inspection cover and looking. Still dry as a bone. This gave me a chance to inspect the cabinet carcasses much closer than I had been able to in the past. I am not going to bother trying to save these, they are particle board with oak face frames. They have GOT to go.

LOML also got a new to us 2006 Chevy Malibu, car had low miles, all the features she wanted, but it was an auction car that needed some body work. My body man BIL fixed the car for us, and gave me a good deal on it. I do need to throw some fresh brake pads, belts and hoses on it, but it's a 10 year old car after all...

LOML gave me the green light to order my own gifts, I went bargain shopping at Musicians Friend and grabbed a pair of powered PA speakers, a 24 input mixer, cables, and an amp stand so that A. My guitarist can have his amp pointed at his head so he can turn down a bit, and B. We can stop renting a PA every time we play a house party, dock party, or wherever PA is not provided. I didn't go super high end because #1. I am paying for it, and #2, the venues we play aren't really that big. Parties of less than 100 people type stuff. I opted for Harbinger Vari V2112 speakers, (Guitar Center / Musicians Friend house brand), which so far sound fantastic, and a Behringer Xenyx X2442USB mixer, which has yet to show up. (Back ordered until mid January). Got them to price match an Amazon lightning deal on the mixer and throw in an extended service policy...

The BIL that has been closest to us gave me a Rockler gift card. I am thinking about a sign makers router pattern template set. I want to make up a bunch of "State Park" style signs for friends and family, so this is right on the money. We have a couple of Nieces that got married this past year and both couples just like the older generation of the family, are camping enthusiasts.

I also was given a Star Trek the Next Generation 25th anniversary PEZ Character dispenser set. I'm not a huge Pez fan, but I LOVE STTNG. This sure hit the nail right on the head!

I should mention, planned shop projects for Christmas gifts got pushed due to no time. I REALLY need to clean my shop! LOML has volunteered to help move her stuff into totes that I can stow in the attic. And I need to vacuum around the lathe, or start with a shovel...
                Last edited by dbhost; 12-28-2015, 01:12 PM.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Youngest and his family live with me and the oldest came up Christmas eve. We do the traditional turkey for Thanksgiving and ham with black eyed peas New Years Day so Christmas is usually different. Had a Frogmore stew (aka, Low Country Boil) for dinner.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

I'm kinda in the same place as Loring in that I tell family that I don't need much. I tend to buy what I want and need when I want or need it year-round as long as I can afford it. I had fun shopping for my youngest and his older sister. My oldest son was easy in just needing bike parts more than anything else. We stayed around town, visiting my in-laws Christmas eve and having Christmas dinner with them and a few other relatives at a local church.

Oldest son and I went for a drive up a nearby canyon and shot our .30-30's the day after and spied a bunch of bald eagles in a couple of trees. We have about 10 inches of snow on the ground, first time we've had this amount on the ground in a few years. On Facebook I shared the pics of the eagles.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...