• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

60 Minute Challenge?

I hesitated to post this because it is an idea, but I am not volunteering to follow up on it, so take it for what it's worth...

Woodworking contests seem to be quite popular on woodworking sites and the YouTube woodworking community. Couple that with several recent comments on a lot of members not having time to do any woodworking led me to this.

What about our site hosting/sponsoring a contest in which participants have to build a project in 60 minutes or less start to finish? Obviously we are not looking for a Queen Ann style highboy projects, just something simple to get people out and working in their workshops in a time of year where temperature and time limit what a lot of us can do.

Just thinking out loud, but if we could get donated prizes and open it up and publicize it outside this site, it might drive traffic. All entrants would need to post on this site, either with just pictures or links to videos of their projects. Usually these types of contests get dozens or even a hundred+ entries if promoted across YouTube and social media. Even a fraction of that traffic would be good for the site.

Thoughts? Anyone want to run it?
    Joe
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

It would take me that long or longer to clean up my shop to even begin to do a project. Sorry to say my shop out in the backyard has become more of a storage area and the home for our semi Feral cat. Last year started out great and about April started going down hill to where the only who goes out to the shop is my wife who feeds the feral cat out there. Now I need to get refocused and moving before another year slips by. 1/2/2015 3:445pm PST Just spent some time out in the shop got it pretty well cleaned up Told Feral cat she may have to leave during the day. I think I would be up for a contest. Have no clue what I could do in 1 hour, depends on the rules.

Tom
    Last edited by TB Roye; 01-02-2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• durango dude
      • Mar 2011
      • a thousand or so feet above insanity
      • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

IIRC, this site did have a walnut slab challenge ---- see what you can make with a single piece of walnut.

They had some impressive sponsors and prizes, in fact.

I'd imagine it can be hard to get sponsors for a site that appears
      to be dedicated to Ryobi tablesaws. (that's appearance, only - many of
      us have "evolved" from the BT).

Sponsors prefer to sponsor contests when they think they'll get more visibility.

That said - I'd be game - as long as SWMBO hasn't "organized" my shop any time recently.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

In the past getting sponsors has not been the problem. Getting participants has been a problem. Even in the heyday of the sight we had only a small fraction of the active members participate in our first contest to build something useful from a construction grade 2"x4".
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

I like the contest idea and I will like it a lot me when I have a shop to work out of

Things like this are a good way to drive more traffic if promoted appropriately.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I remember the old 2x4 challenges. I never entered, but they inspired me. I'm not nearly talented enough to do some (most) of the things that were done in those contests.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Sorry, I don't seem to move so fast any more. In 60 minutes I haven't even finished planing my wood to thickness. I'd participate in a 2x4 challenge, or something similar. One of our local Scout groups did a contest with birdhouses and then hung them. Maybe build something small for a contest and donate it to goodwill or Salvation Army to sell?
              capncarl

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

I think it should be reasonable and accessible. Glue drying time, finish drying time and even wood preparation (planing, joining, etc) wouldn't be included in the 60 minutes.
                Joe

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I see that the 2011 2x6 challenge is still in Forum. I don't even remember this contest going on, can't imagine what I wouod have been doing to miss it. Anyhow, good example. Lots of work by a few to put it on though.
                  capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

sounds like a fun idea.
                    They would be small projects and most likely not finished (what can be used raw... jigs, boxes, ?)
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

If enough interest is generated we can do this. Adding sub forums is not much work for me. If you wish to form a committee to come up with the details and rules. I only ask that before we ask sponsors to donate prizes that we have a firm number of committed contestants.

A poll has been posted to help you out.
                      Last edited by Black wallnut; 01-03-2015, 10:30 PM.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• vaking
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Though not a real woodworking but I am spending all my available time doing some construction/carpentry around the house. Within the last week built a pocket door, installed cork flooring, etc. Building pocket door is kind of 2x4 project, except it takes more than 1 2x4.
                        Alex V

Comment

• Brian G
                          • Jun 2003
                          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                          • G0899

I think this could be a fun challenge, as long as it is kept simple. I think something that limited participation in the two 2 x 6 x 8 challenges was the complexity of rules and requests for "what about. . . ?" or "can I use. . ."

Maybe something like; 1.) you get one board of one kind, 3/4 x 6" x 36". 2.) Wood and glue, that's it. 3.) One hour. 4.) sketch a plan as part of your entry. 5.) have fun.

Don't worry about divisions, turned or non-turned, skill, experience, tooling. Just build it and post it.
                          Brian

Comment

• JoeyGee
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

Thanks, Mark. I am willing to work on it and do what is needed, but I don't want to be the only one
                            Joe

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

Another possibility would be to use a specific board, (example, 8'x4"x6" red oak) that is easily obtainable from Lowes, HD and other big box stores. Yea it is more money but the possibilities are greater and possibilities of gifting are greater. And it doesn't gum up all your sandpaper like SYP. This also reduces the what if's with cutting down a 2x8 and on and on.
                              capncarl

Comment

Working...