X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • russde
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2013

Allen wrench storage

I've got a box (literally, a cardboard box) that I've kept my allen wrenches in for better than 15 years...it's finally given up the ghost; the top fell off today as I was searching for the right size allen to adjust something.
    There's got to be a better way.
    Additionally, I can no longer see the size marking on most of them...the metrics are mixed in with the SAE and I have to put my reading glasses on AND rub the surface to 'brighten' up the stamped markings before I can read them.
    Suggestions?

As always...many thanks.
    R
  • TCAS
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Here is what I use...

SAE - Bondhus 13 Pc. Hex Key Holder

Metric - Bondhus 9 Pc. Metric Hex Key Holder

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I went through my Allen wrenches a while back and made sure that I had several complete sets of mm and SAE then divided the pile in thirds. These were given to sons and neighbor! No need to keep the cheapies that come in installation kits.
      capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

My favorite go to Allen wrench is the Klein pack. I keep it handy for quick set ups, then if I need a single Allen I already know the size.
        Attached Files

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I have two Husky sets from HD (SAE and Metric) that have their own plastic storage container, as well as a handle that helps you get more torque with them. Good sets.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I've got a set of Husky (HD) Metric and SAE hex key wrenches as well as an assortment of loose pieces... I think I even have one of those 'jack-knife' sets in the auto tool box (obviously, they can't be used too often if I don't remember exactly).

Last spring, I went through most of the loose ones, measuring and tagging them with tape. None of these were identified in any way, so figure they were part of assembly items, or else just cheapo keys I've accumulated over the years.

Depending on whether or not you have a handy work bench at which you might use these, you could simply drill some scrap stock and make yourself a holder for them. For the hex keys that come with some of my tools, like my RAS, drill press, and CMS, I've drill blocks, or made some similar arrangement to keep those particular keys readily at hand.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Most allen keys I have in the loose "L" configuration don't have marking on them.

I take a small scrap block of wood and drill holes so the long shank end slips into the hole and put a set of the keys that fit a particular tool on the base or body of the tool. Use velcro or magnets to hold them in place. You can mark the block with the sizes if you want but I haven't found that to be of much help. That way you have the keys to fit all the adjustments at hand for the tool and no extraneous ones to confuse you. With fewer choices the one you grab will probably fit the screw you are trying to turn.
              I've done this for the belt sander, band saw, table saw, mortiser and CMS.

Then I have a T-handle ball-end set of metric and SAE for everything else which are well marked as well as color coded. Takes up too much bench space though.

I have a couple of handfuls of those plastic holders with sets of keys and some fold out key holders and even the ones that have the springs to hold the keys but I don't find those comfortable, convenient or easy to use. Too tight and have to pull out too many to try. They're just OK to take somewhere in a portable tool box and keep them together.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-08-2014, 01:30 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• russde
                Forum Newbie
                • Aug 2013

Thanks all for the tips (except those that suggested new tools, shame on you!)
                I had thought about the wood block type thing as that's what I did with my forstner bits, but was hoping to avoid it...guess I'll go find a nice 2x4.
                Cheers!
                R

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by russde
                  Thanks all for the tips (except those that suggested new tools, shame on you!)
                  I had thought about the wood block type thing as that's what I did with my forstner bits, but was hoping to avoid it...guess I'll go find a nice 2x4.
                  Cheers!
                  R
                  1x2 more fitting, i think

or you could just make a rail of 1/2 x 3/4 even.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I've got the Husky, and HF flip out sets, the HF is a little weird as the set holder is actually quite a bit wider than the total of keys etc... and the binding post that holds it together tends to work loose...

For my loose keys, I simply put them in a drawer in my small parts bins. Upper right hand corner. I rarely use them so no big deal...

FWIW, I prefer to use allen head sockets. I have a set of Metrics from Snap On that are about 23 years old now, and a set of SAE from whatever Hi Lo Auto Supply used to sell in the 90s was... I am ready to upgrade my SAE to something better, teh cheapies I can SEE twist when I use them...

If you want something more readily available, why not build a display box with holes drilled for the corresponding bit? Would take a bit of design work, but not much...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

I have a bunch of loose ones, plus a metric and SAE set like these. They are a bit of a pain as you cant torque them much as the handle bends and in the long orientation they are off center so turning them is awkward.

Now Loring mentions the ball tipped variety I think I may have to add that to my shopping list. I just noticed this Tekton dual set on amazon for $17. Dont know much about Tekton but amazon also has a $10 of $50 deal right now.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-piec...set-96645.html

not too expensive, has ball end opposite the T-handles and a regular end off the end of the "T" handle for more leverage. I was worried they might be real soft but I have not broke any off yet.

I usually try not to use the ball ends to break a real tight allen screw loose as the ball can't be ground off square if damages (like you can a square ended regular hex key) and its weaker because of the undercut. The ball end advantage is getting a loosened screw out quickly when its hard to access straight on.
                        Th only weird thing about this set is, strangely it's not got a 1/4" hex key. Maybe they intend for you to use the 6mm which is .236??
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-08-2014, 09:40 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...