• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

So what do you watch on TV?

We have a spanking big 42" LCD with a lot of Hi-def content coming in, but we do not get to watch a lot. One for time, another for choice of content.

Not counting the kids' stuff, we have only watched 'Homeland' with any seriousness. Actually we started late, and caught up with all three seasons in the past six months. Impressively produced. Other than that, I'm an avid follower of Mad Men, not so much LOML. She likes to watch the light detective fare - she loved Monk, and nowadays she watches Mentalist. (I'm always surprised how nonchalant she can be about any such stuff - she doesn't care about continuity, or that sometimes she's seeing a very old episode. She just sits thru something and forgets about it.) She did not want to watch the Walking Dead just by the premise, nor Breaking Bad.

We do try some of the newer series, once in a while, but we get bored fast with the repetitive police procedurals or the unfunny sitcoms. Thankfully, our tastes in reality shows are alike - would be a torture for both if one loved it and the other didn't.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Do you have a media pc? They make some nice tv's now, but with 1000 channels, there can certainly be nothing on. I have two shows that I can watch, or not, not making a special effort to watch (Big Bang Theory, which is starting to bore me, and Person of Interest, just a highly unrealistic escape from reality). There are two shows that I watch, but only one can be watched in my country, Doctor Who (which I grew up watching) and Mrs Brown's Boy's which I hope someday will be available on dvd in this country. As is, I have to watch it online, and it is the funniest thing I have watched in years.
    Nice tv's, no content.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

The Walking Dead
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

we have a 50 inch connected to a PC with an HDMI output.
        I don't watch all that much TV but my wife watches Korean dramas Hulu endlessly.
        I'll watch THe Houston Texans (NFL) and the Houston ROckets (NBA) sometimes. My wife is the big Rockets fan. I'll be doing other things and then watch the last quarter.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• greenacres2
          • Dec 2011
          • La Porte, IN
          • Ryobi BT3000

For me:
          How It's Made
          How'd They Do That
          Gold Rush Alaska
          I can watch those over and over--mostly 'cuz my TV time is when i go to bed, and i'm only good for about 5 minutes!!

LOML watches American Idol and movies.

earl

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Wife's favorites are Wipeout, Raymond, Cosby, and the comedy channel. I get to watch NCIS sometimes and the Military channel.

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Shows we watch together and cannot miss--Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Amazing Race, Big Bang Theory, Once Upon a Time and New Girl.

We have The Americans on our DVR. We watched the first episode the other night and liked it.

LOML likes Glee, Smash, Revenge. I don't watch those with her.

We love to find series on DVD from the library and then just run through entire series at once. We usually do that in the Summer when there is less going on.
              Joe

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Watch TV over the air and through Netflix.

Live, we watch Downtown Abbey, Modern Family, The Middle, New Girl,CBS Sunday Morning.

Live, I watch Castle and This Old House.

I record all these shows on my PC so we could be watching them live or streamed later that week. I haven't watched Castle all season but will do my own marathon in the summer.

Streaming, House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead (me, not her), and we pay Amazon to watch Mad Men the day after it airs on AMC.

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Nothing on the 4 major networks ABC,CBS,NBC or Fox unless it has to do with Sports or something special. We watch out local new on the NBC station. Use all the other "Cable" networs for our viewing. Just don't find the stuff on the Majors to my liking. Like Smithsonian, Nation Geographic, DIY, HGTV Speed. ESPN, and no we dont' watch Honey Bo Bo bear, nor some of the scripted programs like American Pickers, Storage Wars or other of that ilk. Yuuuuuup! Don't do to many Movies either to many bad ones one. We are older so we read more, I usuall read and have the TV on to a Sports progam and kinda watch the action. I have no TV in the shop that is asking to loose a didget or worse. Radio/CD player ok, but no TV.

Tom
                  Last edited by TB Roye; 02-24-2013, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • IL, USA.
                    • DELTA 36-675

Series that i'm recording and try to watch when I have time: Banshee; Spartacus; The Walking Dead; Frontline (PBS); Inside Combat Rescue (NGC); Yukon Men (Discovery Channel); Downton Abbey (PBS); Bellator MMA Tournament.

Series that I also follow that are not currently on: Homeland; Hunted; Strike Back; Games of Thrones; True Blood; Mad Men

I recently saw Killing Lincoln (NGC) and that was pretty good.
                    Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I have noticed I stream or play DVDs for most of my content, however there are a couple of shows I like to watch...

The Big Bang Theory
                      Modern Marvels
                      Trucks!

And of course DIY shows, and news...

Honestly most of my entertainment comes from streaming video, youtube, netflix, hulu etc... or from my DVD collection...

Most recently I have seen World War 2 in HD, and Victory at Sea. I would love to see a World War 2 documentary given from the Soviet perspective... Here in the U.S. we rarely hear about any other perspectives on major world events...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Some tremendously interesting ideas. I think I need to check out Downtown Abbey - hear a lot about it. I'm sure i can get prior seasons from VOD or the library. And need to spend more time at Discovery...

And yes - history from different perspectives could be an eye opener; wonder how the Soviets think of WWII or even the Bay of Pigs.
                        Last edited by radhak; 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM.
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• JoeyGee
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

Downton Abbey is fantastic. I didn't care much for season 2, but 1 and 3 were outstanding. There are only 8-10 episodes per season, so you should get through them pretty quickly.

One thing I like about TV nowadays between cable and broadcast, there are seasons starting all the time. Not like the "old days" where all seasons started in the Fall, ended in the Spring and then in the Summer you get Battle of the Network Stars.
                          Joe

Comment

• pelligrini
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Fort Worth, TX
                            • Craftsman 21829

I watch a lot of movies on cable and netflix.

Series that I follow;
                            Dr Who
                            Homeland
                            Game of Thrones
                            The Walking Dead
                            Lost Girl
                            Being Human
                            Erik

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I'm mostly an old movie fan, watching TCM mostly but on occasion RetroPlex or Sundance. Big decision for me is "commercial" content... it's getting to be so absurd that I stopped watching most of the major networks some time ago.

But, there are some shows that I have found that I sort of like. "Suits", "Covert Affairs" on USA and "Justified" on FX. I also like "Touch" on Fox and this new show, "Zero Hour" (NBC, I think). But the commercials and the extremely short seasons (like six episodes with some of these) is very trying of my patience.

I do love the "Hitler" channel (Military), but that is so full of repeats that I've found it challenging to catch anything new. Science and Discovery channels are also pretty neat, but I have to admit I'm not a regular there. I do a helluva lot of channel surfing, if you know what I mean... and lots of nights were I just give up any hope and grab a book. (In the last six months I've gone through six volumes of Churchhill's 2nd World War, Obama's Audacity, Eisenhower's Campaign in Europe, as well as an assortment of lighter readings, like "Archie's Way" and "Beam Me Up Scotty" and several wood-oriented books (Carpentry, Framing, Finishing, etc.).

In our house we have only two TV's, both small and only one is a modern flat screen. We can get nothing of value without cable and with Time-Warner, I only get the digital basics... even with those roughly 170 channels, there's duplicates, and pay-per-view channels. Even those few are costing me $140 a month (with phone and Roadrunner), which seems like a major rip. (I'm also paying that again, for the house in Painted Post, where I'm only at a few days each month, but my wife won't be without that stuff there.)

My wife and I have totall different tastes too, so we watch nothing together. Hence she has the one TV in the den, and I have the other up in the library.

CWS
                              Last edited by cwsmith; 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM.
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...