• Show
Clear All
  • gerti
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Slow leaks because of aluminum wheels?

Our 2000 Passat has always had a problem with loosing air in the tires. Supposedly because of oxidation of the aluminum wheels which is killing the seal. We have had the tires remounted twice already, only brings temporary relief.

Right now it is particularly bad again: I filled up the tires to spec ten days ago, today one of them is dead flat (car hadn't been used).

Is there a more permanent fix short of replacing the wheels?

Thanks!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

inner tubes or bead sealer

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t947...inum_rims.html
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Aluminum can be porous enough the air comes right through the metal. You can try to fix, but it's easier and sometimes as cheap to just replace. Aftermarket doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• RAV2
        Established Member
        • Aug 2007
        • Massachusetts

Go to a reputable tire dealer. Not some thing staffed by high school kids like Town Fair Tire.

I had a similar problem with my tires on my 2003 Sporttrac. I discussed this with a long time (family run) tire supplier. They were well versed in dealing with this problem. They spent time properly prepping and sealing my rims, all part of the 4 tires I bought, and my problem has not returned for over a year now. I used Sulivan Tire of New England.

My co-worker went to TFT, had a similar issue addressed by them during his tire change, and the leaks continue.

(Note that actual condition of the rims might be a critical factor but his truck was newer than mine).

A little more money but well spent.

Be cautions of getting what you pay for -- especially when talking free services such as front end alignments.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

This question comes up periodically with those of us that compete with our cars in track events. Aluminum and magnesium wheels are popular as they are lighter. It could be a defective wheel. Some have had them resealed...coated on the inside, and solved the problem. It could be a bad seating of the bead, or a leaky valve stem.

Comment

• tommyt654
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2008

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051 , should do the trick

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by tommyt654
              According to lines 1, 4, and 5 it is also a great survival tool as an emergency latrine.....

•Refreshed bowl design provides fresh aesthetic for commercial applications
              •Coverage can be up to approximately 9 sq. ft.
              •Can be top-coated with latex-based or oil-based paints after 24 hours, flat or matte finish will not reflect light
              •Optimized bowl and fully glazed 2-1/8 in. trapway, provides both superior bulk and light waste performance
              •Reduces water consumption by over 20% from 1.6 GPF toilets, qualifies as an HET toilet that conserves water while providing a high-performance flush

•MFG Model # : 207340
              •MFG Part # : 265495

OOPS!
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Yup, wondered about that as well. I actually used this stuff on a small window leak on the chevy truck, hasn't leaked since then, so seems to be a viable water seal, would think it might work in his air application as well. What's an emergency latrine other than a hole in the ground or a tree trunk anyways

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I have actually used a roof tar based sealant to coat the insides of rusty steel rims that had formed rust from someone allowing moisture to get inside the tire. This stuff never hardens and seemed to lubricate the rubber and keep it from hardening, thus keeping the rubber flexable allowing it to fill up the pitted metal surface. It also made the tire much easier to install on the rim. Should work on aluminum and mag rims as well.
                  capncarl

Comment

• All Thumbs
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Penn Hills, PA
                    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I assume you have new valve stems. There was a recall of millions of Chinese-made valve stems a few years ago, because they caused slow leaks.

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Just plain old oxidation on the bead mating surfaces causing a leak? It would have to be pretty severe. I worked specializing in wheels, tires, and suspension prior to changing careers, Leaks due to wheel corrosion is FAR more common on steel than aluminum wheels. HOWEVER, when I did see wheels come in causing leaks, (it does happen), we would...

#1. Remove the tire / wheel assembly from the car.
                      #2. Mark for location, and dismount the tire from the wheel.
                      #3. Depending on the severity, chemically, or mechanically clean, smooth, and polish, and then seal the bead mating surface of the wheel. (in severe cases, I have had to chuck a wheel in a lathe, and using a foam sanding block, sand the lip smooth).
                      #4. Re-mount and balance the tire. Using a proper bead sealant. (Doesn't have to be anything fancy mind you, we used water and laundry soap, hey it works!)
                      #5. RE mount the tire / wheel assembly on vehicle.
                      #6. Torque lug nuts to spec.

Something to be aware of, aluminum wheels CAN be so porous that air can actually leak through the metal itself. Make sure that isn't the problem.

In a worst case scenario, replace the entire wheel assembly. Aftermarket rims are typically less expensive, and more attractive than OEM replacements, at least if you are buying new.
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• havighurst
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2004
                        • Metamora, MI, USA.

Has there been any damage to the rim? I hit a pothole here in Michigan and it actually damaged the rim on my Passat and I had a similar problem. They were able to repair the rim in my case, but I was told that it is not always the case. I would agree that you should visit a reputable tire dealer and have them check it out.
                        \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• gerti
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

It's all four wheels, at random rates. Sometimes one is worse, later another, seems to change at random intervals. They pretty much did that from the get go. Had it 'fixed' a couple of times at different places, that helped some but was not permanent. Lately it's pretty bad, got to top of twice a week.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll check around for a reputable tire place and see what they say.
                          Last edited by gerti; 02-22-2013, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• geeoh
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Mid Maryland
                            • Delta Contractor

If you do use a sealant, make sure it is not petroleum based or similar, as it could possibly weaken/dissolve the tire in that area.

Comment

Working...