• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

There are a lot more that regret "not" buying, but I was bitterly disappointed with my Oldham 60T finishing blade....it performed like a $5 blade and lasted about as long as one.

My B&D jigsaw and belt sander were both real pigs...it wouldn't have cost much more to buy a real version of each tool, had I waited for a good sale or looked into refurbs.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• toolguy1000
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • westchester cnty, ny

just my now sold 18" jet band saw. very, very average tool but the company's tech support was absolutely inadequate. oddly, every tool i own, a lot of which i didn't need when i got them, have helped me out of a jam at some point. so as long as i an get something for pennies on the dollar and i think i might need it sometime, i get it when the opportunity presents itself.
      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Big mistake buying HF nail set kit (3). Too soft, they got 86'd.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the reminder!

Arrow electric finish nailer. Doesn't drive the nail but 3/4 of the way in...

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Electric stapler. Usually doesn't have the power to drive the staple all the way in.
          Blade stabilizer. Waste of money, on the BT3 at least. Reduces cut depth and doesn't really improve anything.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by dbhost
            Thanks for the reminder!

Buy shorter nails.
            Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
              Thanks for the reminder!

It does work good for installing ceiling tiles (the T&G type).

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by phrog
                Another one I still have is a Slick Plane. Just don't think it is too slick. In my hands, it tends to tear the wood. Maybe, it's just me.
                Yea I have a slick plane too, I hate it. Glad I got it on a special.

I have an inexpensive Ryobi biscuit jointer, I would have really regretted getting a high dollar one.

The cheapo craftsman handheld belt sander I bought is a dud. Every once in a while I'll try to use it for some odd task. I regret it every time I try to use it.

I regretted buying the electric power washer I used to have, especially when the rotating jet head started to not work. I hope whoever stole it hates it worse than I did.
                Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phrog
                  Buy shorter nails.
                  one-legged staples perhaps.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Makita Biscuit Joiner- I think I got it from CL. Never use it.
                    Any screw extractor set other than the grabbit- they never worked.
                    Cable stapler- used to attach Romex cable to studs and joists. The staples are flimsy, and it's not much faster than using a standard staple.
                    An old Montgomery Wards benchtop jointer- Got it while picking up a CL buy.
                    HF carving chisels- Never use them, and they're absolute junk.
                    HF sand paper- not a tool, but I never thought sand paper could work so poorly.
                    Any electrical non-contact voltage tester that covers multiple ranges- they are always WAY too sensitive, even when you try to adjust it. You would have it a foot away from two wires, and it'd be set off. Useless in trying to find the hot wire in a circuit.

I'm sure there's more. Pretty much mostly impulse buys. However- I have more tools that I'm glad I bought, sat on, then had readily available when I suddenly needed it.

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                      HF sand paper- not a tool, but I never thought sand paper could work so poorly.
                      You can use it in your outhouse.
                      Richard

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

Ryobi three-base router kit. I've used only the plunge base for years now. Skil jigsaw that I bought at a garage sale for $5.00. Some no-name Forstner bits—just threw them out yesterday. Some REALLY cheap chisels I bought at Builder's Square before they were eaten by HD. (They're my loaners now.) Tiny little Kunz rabbet plane that I spend more time fiddling with than using.

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2003
                          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                          • BT3100

All those tools taking up room and gathering dust that I either used once,and then threw it across the shop or never used at all.
                          Think they could bury them with me. Or maybe I'll will them to some one I don't like.
                          Actually, that's not a bad idea to get rid of the "dopey stuff" we've all bought. Will them to that neighbor who constantly trys to borrow tools, those are the ones I'll ever lend.

Bruce
                          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• sailor55330
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2010

For me:

A Roto-Zip (was a gift) that I rarely use because it's scary hard to control. I have had some luck with it for cutting large circles in 1/2" or less MDF, but that doesn't really happen to often.

HF countersink bit set. None of the bits are straight. It works great as long as you don't mind the fact that the coutnersinks are oval. Then again, it was $4.99 on sale, so I can't really complain.

Belt Sander---I'm sure someday I'll find a reason I can't live without it.

One of those plastic miter boxes. I needed to cut one angle and didn't have my CMS with me. It was $9.99 including the backsaw. Oh Yeah, it was awesome! But on the bright side, I now have a great pruning saw

Comment

• jseklund
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2006

I love tools. All tools. Even if I don't use them, I just love having them. When there comes a time to use it (after 10 years on a shelf), people say "I can't believe you have one of those" or "I've never known about that" and I get the job done in 2 minutes that they thought would be great. It's the ultimate.

Harbor Freight has finally come to Cape Cod and I realized I have a problem...
                              F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2005
                                • Independence, MO, USA.
                                • bt3100

I would have to admit the Gorilla Gripper was worthless for what I bought it for (aluminum diamondplate sheets). There are other tools that I have bought and used less then I thought, and then sold off. Others I have bought cheaply enough, that I don't mind using them infrequently. When I do, they will go into a garage sale. It isn't just about the tool, it is also about the learning skills and what works for me.
                                I bought a Rotozip from a friend who used it for a few remodels (it is basically a drywall tool). I gave $10 for it, found out about the recall (which was on the part that was broken) and they sent me a brand new one and had me send in the old motor. I've kept it for two jobs that instead of doing it ourselves, got hired out. I think that $10 has saved my back a lot more.
                                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...