• Show
Clear All
  • T...K21
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2012
    • Southern Idaho
    • BT3100

Ethonal strikes again

This new gas (w/ethonal) we have is just reeking havoc on my yard equipment. Last winter I rebuilt both carbs on both the smaller and bigger snowthrower. Today the weedeater...samething... carb is plugged and bad gas. I add Stabil every end of season to all the yard toys but I guess I better start draining them.
  • sscherin
    • Dec 2003
    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Our local Conoco station sells Ethanol free gas..

My Motorcycles and yard equipment run better and survives storage without gumming up.
    William's Law--
    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

I know a number of people who buy their gas for small engines at the marina. Apparently it does not have Ethonal added to it. If your local service stations don't carry it that may be a place to obtain some.

Bill

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Our pressure washer, edger, generator, and lawnmower uses it, and I don't have a problem. The generator and pressure washer gets stored, so I run them dry, and drain the tank.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I don't do anything special and don't have problems. My 2 cycle weed whacker and blower were both stowed with gas in the tank and started easily this spring. My mower is 4 cycle but got stored with gas in it and is also fine. Being in a garage may help. I did not put stabilizer in any of them. I try to remember to put it in my boat motor. Sometimes I have to pull those carbs apart and blow carb cleaner through the jets. I don't think that is ethanol, I think that is mixed gas that dried up.

I think ethanol can dissolve some gaskets in old motors and I know alcohol absorbs water but I am not sure I've ever really seen ethanol damage any of my equipment. I think it gets blamed for other things, at least at times. [edited to remove political comment, sorry, moderator]
          Jim
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-26-2012, 08:11 AM. Reason: edited to remove political comment

Comment

• CaptRandy
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2011
            • Warrington PA/Ocean City NJ
            • skil

Have rebuilt 6 carbs on 2 outboards 4 times so far since ethanol. Replaced at least 100 fuel filters and going strong. Pulled tank and cleaned it out and the tank is 170 gal. Look up Startron it is an additive to stop phase separation.
            Get used to it.
            Best advise carry a lot of extra fuel filters.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I don't take care of my machines like I should in terms of draining the fuel. I know that it will "bite" me one day and at that point I probably will. Having said that, I have not had a problem with the ethanol in a 10 year old 21 inch B&S lawn mower, a gas blower, gas weed eater, Chain saw, gas hedge trimmers, riding 42" lawn mower. Some of these machines would only be used one month during the year while I was in Japan.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

My lawnmower was having issues after leaving gas in it over the winter. I bought a product called Start Your Engines! and it worked to get it running smoothly again.

As far as the fuel goes, I was advised to get non-oxygenated fuel. Specifcally V Power fuel from Shell. Apparently, it's less prone to breaking down. The pump says to only use in classic cars, motorcylces, and other small engines. I haven't been using it long, but if it doesn' turn to crap as quickly as the std stuff, I'm ok going with that.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I run the gas out of my equipment prior to storage. First gallon of gas for the season gets 1/2 cup of Sea Foam Motor Treatment added in. Both the 2 and 4 stroke gas cans get it. I started doing this after the Ethanol blend stuff jammed up my Craftsman mower 10 years ago... There is typically a little excess smoke on the first minute or so after the first startup of the season, but no problems otherwise. Only reason I replaced the Craftsman mower was I hit a hidden stump and bent the crankshaft. Thing ran like a dream until then...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania
                    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by T...K21
                    This new gas (w/ethonal) we have is just reeking havoc on my yard equipment. Last winter I rebuilt both carbs on both the smaller and bigger snowthrower. Today the weedeater...samething... carb is plugged and bad gas. I add Stabil every end of season to all the yard toys but I guess I better start draining them.
                    How is the enthanol causing a problem? Ethanol is a primary ingredient in fuel system cleaners and evaporates without residue, so I'm not sure how it could cause problem. In theory it breaks down rubber products and could damage gaskets, etc. but that has not been a problem with equipment I have used. I regularly use a 30 year old push mower and a similar vintage riding mower as well as gas trimmers, and have never had a problem with any of it.

FWIW, I don't use Stabil, I just leave the gas in it over winter. Maybe the Stabil reacts with ethanol?
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• jking
                      • May 2003
                      • Des Moines, IA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by T...K21
                      Do you have non-ethanol blends available? I can buy both here.

The warnings against ethanol in small engines I've heard has always been damaging seals & gaskets. I've never seen anything I consider to be hard facts to back it up. It could be out there, I've just never know how much is real & how much might be hype. It's also very possible it was a problem when ethanol blends first came out, but, aren't a significant problem for newer engines.

How much do you trust how you are buying your gas from? Cars & trucks typical have filters, but, small engines don't always have them. It could be that you just got some dirty fuel. The tolerances on newer carbs are supposedly much tighter & more prone to getting plugged.

Comment

• natausch
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • Aurora, IL
                        • BT3000 - 15A

Am I the only person in the world who runs them dry then drains and replaces oil at the end of each seasion.

Then again, I can't imagine what it is like in states with perpetual growing season... Mower and Thrower both need a break once in awhile.

Comment

• sweensdv
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • WI
                          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

If you can't find a station that sells 100% pure gasoline and must use an ethanol blend then stop using regular Stabil. Instead, use the Stabil that is specially made for use with ethanol blended gas. Even though I use pure gasoline in all my small engines, minimum 89 Octane Rating, I also use Stabil, just in case, and always run the engine dry before putting it away at the end of the season. A little preventative mainenance goes a very long way in preventing frustration.

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by sweensdv
                            Even though I use pure gasoline in all my small engines, minimum 89 Octane Rating,
                            Just a note that I too use 89 or higher for my small engines and 20hp lawn tractor. None of the stations in my area sell ethonol free gas.
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jdon
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2010
                              • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                              • BT3100

How is the ethanol causing a problem? Ethanol is a primary ingredient in fuel system cleaners and evaporates without residue, so I'm not sure how it could cause problem.
                              I can't speak to the effect of ethanol on gaskets, etc, but it's very hygroscopic (it attracts water like stink), i.e., much greater chance of getting water in the gas, than gas without ethanol. I'd never had a problem living for years in upper Midwest and Upstate NY; moved to Seattle area a few years ago- they say we have humidity here)- last spring gas left in the mower over winter had
                              noticeable water; no problem with starting mower this spring, though. go figure.

Comment

Working...