• Show
Clear All
  • BrazosJake
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Benbrook, TX.
    • Emerson-built Craftsman

CraigsList rant

Is it just me, or do CL posters include a dearth of information about tools they expect to collect hundreds of dollars for? Even when you ask for a model#, they can't find it, or don't bother to look for it.

I inquired yesterday on a local CL add for a 16" Grizzly Bandsaw the seller was asking $650 for. Grizzly doesn't currently catalog a 16", but I bet over the years they've sold a dozen models in that size with significantly different specs. So I emailed and asked if he had a model# or the HP rating from the motor. His reply was to Google it!

Of course, I couldn't resist a very sarcastic reply, also mentioning how asinine it was to expect a potential buyer to sift through thousands of google hits, or take several hours out of their day to show up with $650 cash in hand, only find out it's an underpowerd POS, when he could take 2-minutes to read something off the motor.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

It's craigslist, you expect too much. Anyone not providing the information you were looking for in their ad to begin with would send up a red flag to me. Chances are very good that they are not at all familiar with that tool or any tool for that matter and are selling something that a dead relative once owned.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

Or worse, are just a reseller of estate/closed business etc. and have no clue as to the pedigree of the item, past abuses, etc. It is what it is. If you have that kind of coin to spend on a b.s, why not new or at least from a reputable store?
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

I have to agree with everyone here, but with that kind of coin to spend might as well drop a few more and snatch up tnis instead and have a new, warrantied B.S. instead, , http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2...Series-/G0513P

Comment

• BrazosJake
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Benbrook, TX.
          • Emerson-built Craftsman

[QUOTE=chopnhack;493696]Or worse, are just a reseller of estate/closed business etc. and have no clue as to the pedigree of the item, past abuses, etc. It is what it is. If you have that kind of coin to spend on a b.s, why not new or at least from a reputable store?[/QUOTE

The bs was just an example. But so far as possibly buying it, $650 was the sellers asking price. No matter how ignorant the seller is, if they could take a second andlook for anything to give a clue as to specs, I can decide if it's worth inspecting and come up with an offer. I would never rely on the sellers word as to pedigree and Possible abuses, that has to be determined by inspection.

If you know of a decent, new 16" baPndsaw of at least 2hp for $650, I'd love to hear about it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

well, BJ, probably the sellers lack of good info is due either to ignorance or laziness.
            It may be inconvenienceing to you because you will have to show up in person to verify that this is a good saw and in good condition.

But, OTOH, it may serve you well in the end. If it is a prime condition, good brand and good model then there will be much less competition for it from other buyers becuase they had the same problems/issues.

In this case if it turn out to be a desirable saw, then there will be fewer lookers and the guy who might have swooped it up in the first hours after posting did not take a look and now it can be yours. Lower interest reduces the serious offers and increases your bargaining power and you can get a lower price.

So it may be a blessing in disguise and work in your favor... If you are willing to do the work, take the effort and check it out.
            Just another way of looking at the pie.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

If you know of a decent, new 16" baPndsaw of at least 2hp for $650, I'd love to hear about it.
              IIRC the Grizzly 17" 2hp BS's are somewhat close to that price and are brand new. Of course shipping would increase the bill, but the trade off of new and warranty may far out weight the extra bucks. Not knowing what your intentions are, I assume some serious resawing since your spec'ing a 2hp motor. Would the new 17" not serve you better? In my area b.s. are in extreme shortage on CL - at least serviceable reputable models. Mostly I see the old craftsman C frame and a bunch of fractional HP models with lots of rust. GL in your hunting.
              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

grizz watchers:
                why is the GO513 $35 MORE THAN THE go513p (polar bear white series)
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

The seller can say or not whatever he/she wants to. I would never travel more than say 50 miles for a "killer deal". And that would only happen if there was sufficient proof that the tool was what was advertised, and not a pig in a poke.

For local tools, maybe a phone conversation might clear up the grey areas. There has been a few times that all seemed well, and after arriving from a short trip, somebody showed up and beat me to it.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've seen CL adds that were as vague as "For sale - 10" table saw - $200". No pic, no brand, no model...no discernable brain activity?
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• sweensdv
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • WI
                      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      grizz watchers:
                      why is the GO513 $35 MORE THAN THE go513p (polar bear white series)
                      Special introductory pricing for the Polar Series tools which has been going on for about a year now. You'll find the same kind of discount pricing for other white Polar Series tools vs the green models. Pretty much, the "P" tools are identical to the non-"P" versions.

Comment

• tommyt654
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2008

Mo Green = Mo money

Comment

• jnesmith
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Originally posted by BrazosJake
                          Of course, I couldn't resist a very sarcastic reply, also mentioning how asinine it was to expect a potential buyer to sift through thousands of google hits, or take several hours out of their day to show up with $650 cash in hand, only find out it's an underpowerd POS, when he could take 2-minutes to read something off the motor.
                          Did he respond to your reply?
                          John

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I have seen Craigslist tool ads that are as simple as.

"Old power tool, no idea what it is. $500.00 firm"

No joke...

I swear Craigslist makes the morons come out of the woodwork...
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                              I have seen Craigslist tool ads that are as simple as.

"Old power tool, no idea what it is. $500.00 firm"

No joke...

I swear Craigslist makes the morons come out of the woodwork...

Suppose he gets it? Who's the Moron, then???

answer - the buyer, unless it happens to be worth $5000 because its really old, rare and valuable and the seller had no idea, in which case its you.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...