• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Question: 6 point vs 12 point Sockets

My brother wants a socket set for Christmas. I have a 6 point set. When I looked for sets, I noticed there are also 12 point sets. What are the pros/cons of 6-point sockets vs 12-point sockets? Thanks.
    Richard
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I love 6 points. They won't round off bolts and nuts, especially lower grade hardware, like a 12 point socket can. They must be of a little quality though. I have broken the sides out of more low quality 6 point sets than I have 12 points. 6 points won't go onto already damaged nuts and bolts. Not without some force. 6 points won't usually stick on the heads like 12 points can.

I have both types as well as deep wells, impacts and swivel sockets in my box.
    1/4". 3/8" and 1/2" drives of each. There have been times when I needed just about every single one there for specific jobs.
    Lee

Comment

• conwaygolfer
      Established Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Conway, SC.
      • BT3000

6 point will never spin on a bolt. The 12 point will spin if it is a worn bolt head. But the 12 point will fit on easier especially if the bolt is in a tight space.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Whenever possible get 6 point sockets as they are less likely to round off bolt heads or have a point round off in the socket. I cannot count the number of 12 point sockets I have thrown out. On the other hand I have probably only ruined 1 or 2, 6 point sockets and then only because they cracked in half.

Comment

• CaptRandy
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2011
          • Warrington PA/Ocean City NJ
          • skil

You can get impact sockets ( harder steel) 6 point, the walls will not break.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

[deleted - probably a bad statement]
            [addition] 6-pts has a little more meat in the sidewalls for the same dia socket but the thinnest point is still the same. A 6 pt does not contact any more of the nut/hex head than a 12-pt, since the contact is near the corners for a properly fitting socket.
            The 12 point will get onto a bolt head at 12 angles (30 degrees) but a 6-pt socket will only fit at 6 angles (60 degrees) so you have less twisting and turning to make it fit, it may be a little thinner wall. For a wrench its handy to have 12 points because you can get a little better fit in areas of limited wrenching swing (that 30 vs 60 degrees is important), also applies to sockets with a non-ratchet handle, but for sockets with a ratchet this is less important.
            If you tend to be hard on tools and work on rough equipment regularly then probably 6 point is best. Guys working on pristine equipment and taking good care of tools, probably 12 point is nicer.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-10-2011, 03:19 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by phrog
              What are the pros/cons of 6-point sockets vs 12-point sockets? Thanks.
              Both 6 point and 12 point sockets make contact with the bolt primarily at the point, rather than the side of the bolt head. As a result, they both work about the same. People will tell you 6 pt sockets are less likely to round a head, but it's "urban legend" and has been disproven in testing.

Sears recently started selling sockets that capitalize on this feature. Since it's really only the corners that matter, they removed the flats to make a socket that will fit multiple types of fasteners. This socket type appears to be the best of all worlds, and is what I would buy if I were buying sockets.

The benefits of 12 point over 6 point is that the greater side clearance of the 12 pt can allow them to fit over a rounded or corroded bolt head, while 6 pts won't fit over a corroded bolt head. Another benefit of 12 pts is that the socket will fit on the bolt in more positions, allowing use in tight quarters where a 6 pt won't work. A 12 point will also fit 4, 6, 10, and 12 pt bolt heads, while the 6 pt will fit only 6 pt bolt heads.

Application may be an issue as well. 12 pt or the new type are much preferred for working on cars, since bolts are usually corroded. Six point might be OK for machinery in a woodshop, where the bolt heads are clean and torque requirements are low.

Whatever you get, get decent quality - Craftsman, Snapon, top level Harbor Freight, etc. A low quality socket will not fit the bolt head properly, will tend to crack or break, and will tend to strip the bolt heads.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• All Thumbs
                Established Member
                • Oct 2009
                • Penn Hills, PA
                • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Here is a pic showing contact areas of 6 and 12-point.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Stytooner
                  Roll Tide RIP Lee
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                  Both 6 point and 12 point sockets make contact with the bolt primarily at the point, rather than the side of the bolt head. As a result, they both work about the same. People will tell you 6 pt sockets are less likely to round a head, but it's "urban legend" and has been disproven in testing.

And the ones that say this are telling it like it is.
                  It's not an urban legend when it is true. I have many years of using tools and this has been my experience. Can they round off a head? Yes. Do they round off heads as often as 12 points? No. Not in my experience. Now the testing would have to have been an all encompassing test with many different grades and styles of tools and hardware under both brand new and pristine conditions as well as typical field conditions in many different industries. I think such an extensive real world test might be more of an Urban Legend.
                  Lee

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

You guys brought up many points that I would never have thought of. Thanks to all who have responded; now, I can make an informed decision.
                    That's why I love this site.
                    Richard

Comment

• woodturner
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by All Thumbs
                      Here is a pic showing contact areas of 6 and 12-point.
                      That picture does not show the contact area.
                      Edit: if you look closely, it does show the contact area. The only part of the nut in contact with the socket is the corners.

To fit over the bolt head, a socket must have some clearance. As a result, when torque is applied to the socket, the socke turns or "cams" slightly. The only place a socket under load contacts the bolt head is at the corners or points - which is why a 6 pt socket cannot apply more torque than a 12 pt socket.

I understand people get passionate about this issue, and convince themselves that a 6 pt socket can apply more torque. Unfortunately, the laws of physics dictate these facts.

There are some simple experiments that demonstrate these physical laws, if anyone is interested.
                      Last edited by woodturner; 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Stytooner
                        It's not an urban legend when it is true. I have many years of using tools and this has been my experience.
                        The only problem is that it is NOT true and cannot be true unless one can break the laws of physics.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'm just sharing objective facts. FWIW, in addition to being an engineer and having replicated this testing (I use this testing for a lab experiment in freshman engineering), I have a few decades of experience wrenching myself. Anecdotal evidence and experience often leads us astray - things seem to be true that really aren't, when everything is considered.

My "pet example" of this is gravity - people like to thing gravity is fact and that it is the same everywhere - until they visit a place where the theory of gravity does not explain the observations. For example, there is a hill nearby where objects roll uphill rather than down hill.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Socket quality can differ and affect the test (clearances of brands/runs, etc), as well as rust can. (had to hammer on a six point socket on enough, due to rust, and hope the heat and other tricks have broke loose the whole thing, so the head doesn't snap). But what is really important, is what is he working on? I've known several who use 12 point with SAE stuff (household goods, OLD cars, etc), but go with six point for their newer vehicles. This allows them to quickly tell them apart. (and 12 point sockets can be found for good prices at garage sales, to fill in SAE gaps, metric, not as much yet)
                          Then if needed (specialties), one can add special 12 point metric sockets, for 12 point bolts, like Ford driveshaft bolts, (12mm 12pt) Dodge brake caliper bolts (1 ton I believe, van, 16mm 12pt), head bolts, etc.

Another thing to notice and something that shows a 12 point verses six, won't really make a difference on clean bolts, is how many 6 point wrenches do you have? (most people use the standard 12, but I do have six, for those bolts that have rusted/head is larger due to buildup)
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Stytooner
                            Roll Tide RIP Lee
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                            The only problem is that it is NOT true and cannot be true unless one can break the laws of physics.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'm just sharing objective facts. FWIW, in addition to being an engineer and having replicated this testing (I use this testing for a lab experiment in freshman engineering), I have a few decades of experience wrenching myself. Anecdotal evidence and experience often leads us astray - things seem to be true that really aren't, when everything is considered.

My "pet example" of this is gravity - people like to thing gravity is fact and that it is the same everywhere - until they visit a place where the theory of gravity does not explain the observations. For example, there is a hill nearby where objects roll uphill rather than down hill.

Again, I'll call hooey on your testing. It was flawed. I was relating my experience, which is fact rather than my opinion.
                            Now I'll clarify this some. Field usage can vary to extremes of tool quality, bolt quality and condition and types of fasteners. Add in novice and Pro users and position or ease of access to fasteners and you have a test bed. I highly doubt you or anyone else has undertaken such an extensive test.

I will agree that with good quality tools and fasteners, there is no difference. That is what I think your tests were probably based on.

If you have low quality tools and fasteners, 6 points are less prone to rounding the corners.
                            I have seen this in furniture. I was a Delivery manager for a while and we had to put a lot of furniture together. The bolt heads would get damaged easily by 12 point sockets and until I removed those from the boxes, they created problems. Especially noticeable on leg hardware where one may have the need down the road to tighten legs again. 6 points simply did not damage the heads.

Now something else your test might not have included is worn tools. A worn 12 point is more likely to round off heads, but both can when worn. I noted this in the Army when we were issued excellent quality tools. All had been used and abused in the past. There were several that were issued to me that I had replaced because of this.

Now with your gravity pet test, gravity isn't all powerful. It can be overcome by other means. Magnetism and energy are the easy ones to understand. If you know a hill where stuff is rolling up it, then something else is at work that is stronger than gravity in that area.
                            Lee

Comment

• unknown poster
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2006

6 point sockets are intended for use on 6 point bolts.

12 point sockets are intended for use on 12 point bolts.

It's really straightforward, but for some reason folks insist on using 12 point sockets on 6 point bolts. I don't understand why. Use the right tool for the right job. I bet many of the folks who use 12 point sockets on 6 point bolts would freak if you used their chisels as screwdrivers. It's the same concept though, just because the tool works doesn't mean it's the right tool for the job.

Comment

Working...