• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

about irene

anyone have any observations yet regarding this storm? things aren't supposed to really deteriorate in NYC area until later tonight.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

As a Texan, I am having a really tough time not laughing my tail off at the east coast types that are soiling themselves with a category 1 storm. But then again, I remember how foolish we look when we get a dusting of snow here and they shut the city down...

My prayers for minimal damage and very little if not no loss of life. You guys are really out of your element with this thing, and hurricanes can and do get really ugly....

From everything I am seeing on the news, the impact so far has been far less than what they expected. I am hoping and praying that it continues to fall apart. All y'all in the path of the storm, please let us know that you are okay would ya?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Dal300
      Banned
      • Aug 2011
      • East Central Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

It will be the cleanest that NYC has been in a century or two. The other plus is that threr should be a lot of hard wood available all up and down the seaboard. Just go pick it up!

All of you over there take care and be safe!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks like the storm surge+high tide will hit NYC around 8AM Sunday, that's when any flooding will occur; the storm eye should pass NYC area early afternoon.
        Nat'l Hurricane Center now showing it may still have low level Cat 1 hurricane status when it hits NYC.
        http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4...large#contents

Seems to me the major danger is flooding low lying parts of Manhattan. And postponing the start of the US Tennis Open.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-28-2011, 12:54 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

From what I heard on the news, 8 people have died so far with storm related causes. Hopefully it won't get worse.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

They are talking about how it's going to be hitting the Canadian east coast as well.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Wind damage apparently isn't too severe. However flooding due to rain and storm surge, and mudslides due to heavy rain are likely to cause a lot of damage.

I know one of the barrier islands off Long Island has been flooded - my wife had me turn on the Weather Channel to see Al Roker standing on the boardwalk in Long Beach.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

luckily, the worst seems to be over in our little part of westchester cty, NY. we're about 30 mins north of NYC and it seems that connecticut, parts of the NJ coast and NY's long island got a good smacking around. power is out to several hundred thousand in CT, and there are some scattered outages in westchester and it's northern cousin, putnam county. from this computer, things went really well, for which we are thankful.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Seems like mostly all is well. Anyone heard from Bruce yet? Maybe he evacuated to S.E. Asia.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • westchester cnty, ny

well, i spoke too soon. 5pm saw the wind take out a transformer a few houses down, so now we're on standby power. since we're not on a main artery, it could be a while before power is restored. oh well, it could be worse.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Now comes the bad part... the rain goes away inland, the wind die down. Everything seems to have passed and you thank god for your luck. Then the river starts rising as all the rain upstream causes the river to rise several feet. Two or three days after the hurricane you have flooding threats all over again along river banks. NYC has two rivers...
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

This is getting ugly. Sorry to see all the flooding. I have a few friends from up that way that have been awfully smug for years about how they aren't vulnerable to floods or hurricanes. Blame them for this...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Maybe something like aftershocks.

Comment

• herb fellows
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • New York City
                            • bt3100

I'm in Queens, about 3 miles from JFK airport.

It was considerably less windy than predicted. The biggest problems by far were electric going out, trees falling down (about 2,000, 3 of which were on my block) and water damage, both inland and ffrom the bays and the ocean. I think we ended up with about 6" of rain.

As Bloomberg said, much better off being over prepared. I think all the governments functioned really well and erred on the side of caution, which is exactly what you are supposed to do when other peoples lives are in your hands.
                            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• vaking
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2005
                              • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100-1

Yesterday I walked down my block and saw about 50% of houses pumping water out of their basements. I talked to some - nothing major, couple inches give or take, so probably not much of water damage. My house got no water at all - I have 2 sump pumps and I know they work. I had seen before what happens without them.
                              My problem is different. A large oak tree fell from my neigbor's property and landed on my garage. The garage is still standing but it is certainly damaged. It is tilted, doors don't move, etc. I also have a swimming pool and the pool pump and filter are next to the garage. The pump is shattered by the fallen tree. I see broken piceces of PVC pipe all over the area. I figure between pump and garage there are few grand in repairs. These things are covered in my insurance policy but with $2500 deductables. So it looks like I shall be doing some estimates to decide whether I want to file the claim or not.

And I thought I was well prepared and the tree wasn't even mine - it came from neigbor's property but it will still likely be my insurance and my deductable.
                              Alex V

Comment

Working...