• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

vaking, will your neighbor's insurance cover it, with no deductable in that case?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by vaking
      And I thought I was well prepared and the tree wasn't even mine - it came from neigbor's property but it will still likely be my insurance and my deductable.
      Originally posted by LCHIEN
      vaking, will your neighbor's insurance cover it, with no deductable in that case?
      That's a good point. Damage from a neighbor's tree may be covered on his policy. Worth checking into.

Comment

• vaking
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/ask...bors-yard.html

When your tree falls on your neigbor's property and it causes no damage - no insurance will cover tree removal and it will most likely be your out-of-pocket to remove the tree.

If there is damage to neigbor's property - his insurance pays for the damage.

I already talked to my insurance agent and got the same answer. The neigbor is out of town returning tomorrow. I have not talked to him yet but I am not expecting miracles. I am reasonably certain that he will be paying for tree removal while I shall be restoring damage to my garage and pool.
        Alex V

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Often in a hurricane or tornado, the things or DEBRIS that causes the damage can't be tied to an original source. It's considered your debris to remove if on your property and damage is dealt with through your Ins. co. While high winds alone are enough to cause some damage, the major issue with them is that they are laden with debris. This debris impacting structures can be catastrophic.
          Dealing with some Ins. Co. after such an event can also be frustrating. I have one neighbor that lies about everything to everyone. Fema and his ins. buys him all new stuff every few years. I keep thinking he will get his one of these days, but all he keeps getting is new stuff.

For us, the best we were able to do is replace a shingled roof with steel after the ins. paid to have the shingled roof spot repaired. It was already 12 years old, so a repair didn't make much sense to me. The ins. co. isn't about what makes sense. it's about what cost fewer cents now. I do thank my Ins. co. for the little help they gave to put a steel roof on my house. Still waiting for the law to haul off the neighbor.
          Lee

Comment

• bmyers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Fishkill, NY
            • bt 3100

After the storm passed you would have thought we're all good to go but that wasn't the case. Along the Hudson River where I am, MAJOR flooding was the problem. My house is far enough away but some of my neighbors are not so lucky.

I belong to a boat club north of West Point on the Hudson. Here is a video a club member made Sunday after most of the storm had "passed".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZTCBTBWF_U

I pulled my sailboat out of the water before the storm and put it on shore but the water came to it anyway.

The other big problem was power outages everywhere. I didn't loose power for very long luckily, but other I know did.

On the upside, tons of free firewood and turning wood is mine for the taking.
            Last edited by bmyers; 08-30-2011, 07:26 AM.
            "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Stytooner
              Often in a hurricane or tornado, the things or DEBRIS that causes the damage can't be tied to an original source. It's considered your debris to remove if on your property and damage is dealt with through your Ins. co.
              It might be an interesting outcome (or stated in the policies of the insureds) if a tree caused the damage as stated, was sheared off at the base, still on the neighbors property, and the other end is through your roof.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

A couple months back, we prepared for just such a scenario. A differnt neighbor to the rear of our property has a 3 acre lot. We both have a stand of SY pines bordering the properties. I cut most of ours out long ago, so the ones we do have are large. His are stunted because they are so close together. Fine for pulpwood. Lightning killed one of his larger ones. He didn't even realize this because he didn't look closely. The tops of his are bunched tightly together.
                We asked him if we could remove it and he okayed and thanked us. We promptly cut that baby down. I had guessed it to be about 60 foot tall. We measured when cut down and my son said you were wrong. It's only 59'. I said check out the 1' of stump left.
                Had it come down the wrong way, it would have nailed my new shop.
                This is what is known as hurricane preparation. Not that you can ever really prepare for one fully, but every little step you take in preparing does ease the pain when the $HTF.

We have seen many of these and the SOP now is cat 3, we leave. Anything less we can and have rode through. That doesn't eliminate risk though. Still a huge risk. Tornado's are common in any cat cane.

Insurance companies seem to change coverage and policies often. It is logical to go have a sit down with your Agent and play the "what if" game to see exactly where you are or aren't covered.

I certainly sympathize with you guys up there that were effected. No matter the outcome from these, I am always thankful when loss of life is low. Mother Nature can take you out in an instant. She has some awesome power, so when loss of life is low, she is really giving the rest of us a break. No one anywhere is immune.
                Last edited by Stytooner; 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM.
                Lee

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

power is back on as of 10:18 this morning. now to service and stow the generac 4000xl till the next time. the local HD had four pallets of 5KW husky generators monday monrning as there were NO gens at all by friday night. gotta love america, though. lots of CL ads for gens @ 2 and 3X retail.
                  there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• DrChas
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Burlington, Vt, USA.

the big thing up here is that Irene brought record rain fall on top of already saturated soil. Up where I live in Burlington the effects were minimal, although the city does have a large flood plain that is leased out to farmers for organic farming. It looks like the growing season down there came to a rather abrupt end.

Far more serious is southern Vermont. My friends who live in VT near Dartmouth are now living with friends. There is no electricity at their house, and access is severely limited. Flooding down there was and is intense. By the way, for you Texans: mountain floods are not the gentle little floods you get in flat areas. They are more like the flash floods you get in deserts. There are a number of dramatic pictures of 150 year old covered bridges being washed away, and a picture of a house that was on one side of a culvert on Sunday morning, and the other side Sunday evening. A few of the mountain towns had ALL of their roads washed away, and the only access is by foot or helicopter.

Wind here was minor never getting up over about 30 to 40 miles per hour in Burlington. We had a tree company come in this spring to remove a number of trees that I was concerned about, so other than a rather large branch falling across our driveway there was essentially no impact for us.

The most serious problem we ran into was that I failed to stock up on rum, so I was unable to make hurricanes to celebrate the event. That particular aspect of my disaster preparedness will never happen again!

Comment

Working...