• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    Rats, looking at the Moultrie products manuals, the flash takes 20-30 seconds to charge after motion is detected, before it can take a picture. OK for grazing deer but the car would be gone by then.
    Why not just a web cam and a motion detector? Check out X10's offerings - they have low cost surveillance cameras with motion detectors.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dkerfoot
      Alternatively, it would be fun to rig up an electronic circuit that would really scare the heck out of them. Are fireworks legal in your area?
      A machine pistol loaded with blanks might be fun
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by woodturner
        A machine pistol loaded with blanks might be fun
        I was gonna suggest motion-activated lasers but I like your idea better.

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

I think a discussion with the kid who is the main issue and possibly his parents is the right first step. It may not solve it but it seems like a necessary step. Best to concentrate on why/how it negatively impacts you.

Arguably the sign goes first and you might be lucky enough you don't even have to have the discussion, but I doubt it. The sign could make it obvious you are not "picking on their kid".

If these steps did not resolve it, I would block the driveway as a "reminder". If they are dediated to being a problem, you could end up needing to drop it. In other words, I wouldn't be willing to block the driveway every night forever. Maybe every night for a week and then see what happens. This works if the family are basically OK, the son has just developed a bad habit.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

He's not the only one- but he's the one i can identify. There's unfortunately lots of others doing it too in cars I don't recognize.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

If you have a good relationship with your neighbor talking to them about their son's habit might help, at least for him. For the general offender I'll add my vote for a motion detector and bright lights. Make it uncomfortable for the offenders and they may decide it's not worth doing. Add a sign referring to security cameras too.
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

I would just ask the neighbor to park at the end of your driveway. That would stop the drive through in the night......

bill

Comment

• annunaki
                  • Jan 2008
                  • White Springs, Florida
                  • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Something tall, but not too heavy on both sides of the drive entrance.
                  Stretch between these two objects clear nylon fishing line, so that entrance into the drive will push against the line and cause both objects on each side of the driveway to fall onto the hood of the car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

You could park your car beside the drive way and use your car panic button on your key remote when you see someone drive on your driveway. The horn and flashing light may send him a message. This was one of the safety tips you can use if you detect an intruder in your house, hit your car panic button. I knew there had to be a use for the aggrivating thing!
                    capncarl

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...campaign=0111C
                      Doug Kerfoot
                      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Cubsfan
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • CO.

An interesting question to me is: Is it illegal to turn around in someone's driveway? I suppose the answer varies by state, but here's an answer from one paper:

http://www.livinglakecountry.com/muk.../64957767.html

Looks like the sign is a first step. Though it seems like a better choice to just talk to the neighbors to me if that would eliminate the bulk of it. I'd imagine the sign could cause more problems than it's worth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Cubsfan
                          An interesting question to me is: Is it illegal to turn around in someone's driveway? I suppose the answer varies by state, but here's an answer from one paper:

http://www.livinglakecountry.com/muk.../64957767.html

Looks like the sign is a first step. Though it seems like a better choice to just talk to the neighbors to me if that would eliminate the bulk of it. I'd imagine the sign could cause more problems than it's worth.
                          There's clearly degrees involved here.
                          One is if the driver simply pulls his front wheels into the drive with the intention of backing up and making a Y-turn. I avoid doing even this.

Another level is what I have - a U-drive. One entrance goes on up to the garage beside and behind the house which is about 100 feet back. The entrance also circles through my front yard, with 10 feet of my front door, and exits on the opposite side of the yard... the lot is about 65 feet wide. For some reason people don't want to drive around the block - they make a trip in the garage side, turn past my front door and out the other exit.

They do it at all times of the day and night. It's very disconcerting to hear an engine and see headlights through the panels in the front door and side windows. It's like living 10 feet from the street (in which case you might build your front door differently.) I think this is clearly beyond any conceivable reasonable use of someone's private driveway. The streets are concrete with curbs so its very clear where the street boundaries are.

They don't even slow down very much!

I think the sign is much less confrontational. It lets them know you don't want it without you having to personally suggest that they are a trafficker.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-31-2013, 11:12 PM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            There's clearly degrees involved here.
                            One is if the driver simply pulls his front wheels into the drive with the intention of backing up and making a Y-turn. I avoid doing even this.

Another level is what I have - a U-drive. One entrance goes on up to the garage beside and behind the house which is about 100 feet back. The entrance also circles through my front yard, with 10 feet of my front door, and exits on the opposite side of the yard... the lot is about 65 feet wide.

They do it at all times of the day and night. It's very disconcerting to hear an engine and see headlights through the panels in the front door and side windows. It's like living 10 feet from the street (in which case you might build your front door differently.) I think this is clearly beyond any conceivable reasonable use of someone's private driveway. The streets are concrete with curbs so its very clear where the street boundaries are.

They don't even slow down very much!

I think the sign is much less confrontational. It lets them know you don't want it without you having to personally suggest that they are a trafficker.
                            I forgot that this problem was actually several years old.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

We have seen the coffee table he built in another post. His skills are good enough to build a toll booth for his driveway.
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 2003
                                • Maryland
                                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                                We have seen the coffee table he built in another post. His skills are good enough to build a toll booth for his driveway.
                                How 2011! Install an EZ Pass.

Comment

Working...