• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Literally, Denver (today).

I'd like to think everyone has my FAQ so there's no more questions to be asked.

Just kidding, I'd like to see more woodworking discussions.

going from a 12 minute commute each way last year to a hour and 15 minute commute each way costs me 2-1/2 hours a day of time I don't spend woodworking anymore.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-19-2010, 06:03 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Not much participation in what I post, so I post less and ask my questions elsewhere.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by LarryG
        It's simple, really. When BT3Central became more about posting stupid-ass YouTube links and Craigslist typos than it did about woodworking, most of the people who wanted to talk about woodworking either left outright or cut way back on their participation.
        Larry nailed it, at least for me. I have also noticed a lot more ill feelings between members and offence being taken at posts that are often not meant to be offensive. I suppose that is the bad side of the growth over the years.

I still check in a couple of times a week, but my posting frequency is way down.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

As someone onec said (or maybe it was my Mother) "Nothing lasts forever".

"Game over, man", I think Hal from 2001 said that.

Bruce,

Sinking not too slowly into the sunset.
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

I still check in at least once a day but my posting is way down. I think the reason is that I am a turner and it seems like most of the turners have left and there is little turning interest left. I came over from the old Ryobi forum about 8 years ago and this forum felt like home, it's not quite the same anymore but still a great place and a great group of people.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              Literally, Denver (today).

I'd like to think everyone has my FAQ so there's no more questions to be asked.

Just kidding, I'd like to see more woodworking discussions.

going from a 12 minute commute each way last year to a hour and 15 minute commute each way costs me 2-1/2 hours a day of time I don't spend woodworking anymore.
              An hour and a quarter? Are you working in Texas City these days?
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Kristofor
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2004
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                "Game over, man", I think Hal from 2001 said that.
                Hudson from Aliens... At least that's the one that came to mind, though I'm sure there could be others.

My guess is that all of the points above have some impact on the decline in traffic. However, I think the BIG impact is that there aren't many BT3's going to new users these days and thus not a lot in the way of new blood stumbling onto this site.

Comment

• All Thumbs
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Penn Hills, PA
                  • BT3K/Saw-Stop

I just jointed so I could see the pictures. I needed to mount a router table to my new-to-me bt3 saw. You cant see the pictures if you dont joint.

Comment

• dsandrews2

out to lunch

Nobody comes here anymore...it's too crowded.

Comment

• JeffW
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
                      • BT3100

Like most others it is about time availability, but also the lack of actual woodworking talk. Way back when it was all about woodworking and the fact that we all had a saw that was really unique.

Perhaps the fact that Ryobi stopped making our beloved saw has impacted us?
                      Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

I think it is all a matter of perspective. When you run the numbers of days open for business and total posts you come to an average of 18ish new posts per day over the life of the forum. This does not count all those that were lost or corrupted through a couple of software changes, etc. However, that being said we have 44 new posts since yesterday. Not too shabby IMHO.

Beyond that I have noticed changes over the years. There does seem to be at times a more adversarial tone in some posts. There are noticably absent some of the crowd that joined in the first year and came over from the old Ryobi site. Some have passed on, some have left woodworking, some have simply just drifted for no known reason, still others have left due to disagreements. If there is a reason I'm sure you could find someone to fit it.

The ending of production surely has not helped. However it never was just about the saw anyway. For a forum that has been around since November 2002 we never have grown to what I would consider big, still under 9000 members, most of whom have never posted and likely do not even visit on occasion.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JoeyGee
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I was reminded why I don't spend much time on this forum anymore while I was reading this thread.

1) a lot of yelling, screaming, pounding, thumping and ultimately crying coming from one floor above

2) daughter #1 yelling down the stairs "Dad, daughter #2 hurt me REALLY bad...and don't listen to a thing daughter #2 is about to say"

3) daughter #2 yelling down the stairs immediately after "Dad, daughter #1 hurt me really REALLY bad and don't listen to what she just said"

4) son coming down, reading over my shoulder "why would anyone call themselves 'Pappy'" (and I am not making that up...)

5) I should be sorting out #1, #2 and #3, and making sure son is doing homework instead of spying on me on the computer and making dinner and getting ready for tonight's pack meeting, instead of replying to this thread.

That's why I don't post much...

P.S. I also blame Facebook. I blame Facebook for just about everything anyway...
                          Joe

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by Kristofor
                            Hudson from Aliens... At least that's the one that came to mind, though I'm sure there could be others.
                            For some dumb reason I thought I was wrong. But you win the next leather thong for being correct.

Bruce
                            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

I had a gym coach in high school who was also a 260 lb. defensive lineman for the Ottawa Roughriders. This was in the days when 260 lbs. was huge and professional athletes needed to augment their income with part time jobs. He famously told the class in his Virginia drawl, "I know who's smoking in the locker room. If I catch you it's game over for you, boy."

JR
                              JR

Comment

• RAFlorida
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2008
                                • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                                • Ryobi BT3000

JoeyGee is the one who must

appoint the time to get on the 'net to visit us! That man doesn't have a chance...Joey, our thoughts for your sanity is with you.

Comment

Working...