• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Late To Work?

Are there any consequences to your being late to work? I had a friend that got docked 15 minutes for every 5 minutes late. Maybe just leaving earlier is the answer.

Or, if in a rush, buy a new Bugatti Veyron 16.4. It just set a new top speed record for a production vehicle...267.9 MPH. It broke the old record (253.76 MPH) also by a Veyron. Now, that's gettin' to work.
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

One way to always to on time is to never leave. That's right, sleep at your job. Think of all the commuting time and money you'll save.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• pecker
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003

I work at a division of a large corporation with about 10,000 employees.
      About 9500 of them come and go as they please. The other 500 of us have to punch a clock which tracks our time to the tenth of a minute. So you can work 7.99 hours of the day, and it's considered an infraction.

It's both pathetic and demeaning.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
        Are there any consequences to your being late to work? I had a friend that got docked 15 minutes for every 5 minutes late. Maybe just leaving earlier is the answer.

Or, if in a rush, buy a new Bugatti Veyron 16.4. It just set a new top speed record for a production vehicle...267.9 MPH. It broke the old record (253.76 MPH) also by a Veyron. Now, that's gettin' to work.
        the Veyron is not very practical. I read a review where they drove at the maximum speed. They had to stop for gas fillup every 12-15 minutes because that's how long it took to go thru a tank of gas. At 250 mph the gas milreage is not so good. I suppose that's OK if your wife has a really weak bladder, but it seems like a a real drag - 15 minutes of thrill/terror followed by 10 boring minutes of gassing up. Not to mention, If the oil change interval is 3000 miles, that's about every 10-12 hours... Might even be more frequent at that level of abuse.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-27-2010, 08:50 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I always hated punching a clock and you're right, it's demeaning.

As far as the Veyro's concerned—if you can afford one, you're probably not in a job that requires punching a clock!
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• smorris
            • Apr 2003
            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I come and go as I wish pretty much...of course my average work week is 60 hours and 7x24x365 on call.
            --
            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by BobSch

As far as the Veyro's concerned—if you can afford one, you're probably not in a job that requires punching a clock!

You're right...if you own a Veyron, it's probably your clock.

Comment

• natausch
                Established Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Aurora, IL
                • BT3000 - 15A

Stopped playing the punch the clock game after graduating university. Even if I'm late, which has only ever been related to the commute, there's really no consequence.

That said, I work weekends, holidays, long hours, at home and on the road. Being a "salaryman" has some adantages and many disadvantages. The biggest of the disadvantages is that you can put in a 90 hour week and receive the same pay as a 37.5, and no additional time off.

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by BobSch
                  Indeed. And the 3000 mile oil change has been a myth for going on 15 years now.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                    Indeed. And the 3000 mile oil change has been a myth for going on 15 years now.

For most drivers I'll agree it is. But 6000 RPM at near maximum torque & continuous load might just constitute what the car makers suggest as heavy use under extreme conditions where they invoke the more frequent oil change schedule. You might also err or the short side when dealing with the motor of a $1.700,000 car. Wiki says: " A replacement transmission for the Veyron costs just over $120,000. It also has permanent four wheel drive using the Haldex Traction system. It uses special Michelin PAX run flat tyres, designed specifically to accommodate the Veyron's top speed, which reportedly cost $25,000 US per set.[5] The tyres can only be removed from the rims in France, a service which reportedly costs $70,000." It says you get 3 mpg at top speed.

Here's another wiki fact:
                    "The car's everyday top speed is listed at 350 km/h (220 mph). When the car reaches 220 km/h (140 mph), hydraulics lower the car until it has a ground clearance of about 9 cm (3.5 in.). At the same time, the wing and spoiler deploy. This is the "handling mode", in which the wing helps provide 3,425 newtons (770 lbf) of downforce, holding the car to the road, and helping the Bugatti Veyron perform 1.34 g forces on a 300 foot skidpad.[6] The driver must, using a special key (the "Top Speed Key"), toggle the lock to the left of his seat in order to attain the maximum (average) speed of 407 km/h (253 mph). The key functions only when the vehicle is at a stop, when a checklist then establishes whether the car and its driver are ready to enable 'top speed' mode. If all systems are go, the rear spoiler retracts, the front air diffusers shut and the ground clearance, normally 12.5 cm (4.9 in), drops to 6.5 cm (2.6 in)."

But you know, underneath it all, it's just a volkswagon.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-27-2010, 09:19 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

RPMs aren't what kill motors, starting and killing it are. There was a taxicab study back when I was in the business that completely ignored that fact, and it was a complete joke.

With a deep pan and a mind toward replacing the filter, 20-30 thousand km isn't out of the norm. Last interval I did was 15k miles, and my analysis suggested I could have gone another 3k or so.
                      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Back in the day when I worked for somebody who came to me after 15 years and told me to punch a danmed clock, when I started doing it, they found out that they were gonna owe me more money, so that requirement disappeared in a hurry...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Tacoma, WA
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          But you know, underneath it all, it's just a volkswagon.
                          I really have to stop reading these when I am on the phone with a client

Bill
                          over here where it's still only 8:33 am

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

There is no consequence for showing up late. At my current client, if I get in to the office an hour late, I'm still the first one in the parking lot. My commute is 360 miles and less than an hour. If you add driving, parking, security, car rental, it's more like six hours.

I've been self employed since before I finished college. Be your own boss they say ... everyone is my boss.
                            Chr's

Comment

• herb fellows
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • New York City
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              the Veyron is not very practical. I read a review where they drove at the maximum speed. They had to stop for gas fillup every 12-15 minutes because that's how long it took to go thru a tank of gas. At 250 mph the gas milreage is not so good. I suppose that's OK if your wife has a really weak bladder, but it seems like a a real drag - 15 minutes of thrill/terror followed by 10 boring minutes of gassing up. Not to mention, If the oil change interval is 3000 miles, that's about every 10-12 hours... Might even be more frequent at that level of abuse.
                              Phew, that was close! I almost bought one! Thanks, Loring, I guess I'll just stick with the Camry. Although if you get the right (wrong?) one, they can go fast also....

'My commute is 360 miles and less than an hour.' Apparently, the warning was too late for Twistol, he bought one:-)
                              Last edited by herb fellows; 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM.
                              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Working...