• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by herb fellows
    Apparently, the warning was too late for Twistol, he bought one:-)
    and I successfully disguised it as a used Hyundai Sonata.
    Chr's

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

The only consequence of my showing up late during the school year is that my first period class will set fire to my classroom. The second time is NOT easy to explain to your administrator.

Back to school next week for two solid weeks of "professional development," then students on the 16th. I better practice waking up before noon.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've always been in a "salaried" position, but still the company had dictated hours and in my case it was 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Now, I've got to tell you that I'm not a "morning person" and I'm sure not a "clock person".

On occasion I've had a couple of bosses that would get really bent if you didn't show up "early". On rare occasions, I've been in as early as 5:00 AM, but generally don't make it until about 8:10... If the boss has a can't live with that problem, I'll be more than happy to move on. On the same note, I don't leave in the middle of doing a task, and if that means I don't go to lunch until 10 or 15 after 12, then that's the way I am. Likewise I don't leave before 5:30 and sometimes 6:00 and often work later, come in after dinner, and/or work Saturday mornings too; whatever the project requires. Generally averaging over 300 hours of uncompensated overtime a year.

Still, you get these head-up-their-butt managers who have an absolute fit about being "late". They're the same guys who usually sit at their perfectly clean desktops all day long... and at 5:01 you know they were there because you can see their coat hanger swinging from the rack.

What always bothered me was we had some guys in the department that would come in at 7:00 and leave at 3:30. Problem with that was that they rarely did in work in that first hour, taking their coffee and reading the morning paper until the boss came in around 8:00. Because "under his eyes" everything looked good, these early guys never got any heat.

If I had been part of a crew or team in which my time was critical, then things would have been different, but as an illustrator/writer/designer I've always worked independantly and as such I'm not much for playing stupid time-clock games.

Clocks and "degrees" have always been a pet peeve with me. It's funny how following the rules counts in some companies, much more than doing your job.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I had a job where if I showed up even 2 minutes late, a **** in my department (who also was the wife of one of the shareholders of the company) would complain about me being late. Never mind that I usually pulled 2 or 3 hours of overtime a day, skipped lunch on a regular basis and worked nights and weekends. I would get reamed quite often over being a little late (at worst, 15 minutes-more than that, I called in taking leave). Worst part of it, this woman would frequently take 2 hour lunches, hour long smoke breaks, etc. Yet, any complaints about her fell on deaf ears. She was one of the reasons why I left that company.

I know there are a lot of jobs that require to the minute arrival/leave., etc., but my job really isn't one of them. Considering that I am salaried and only get paid for 40 hours, it shouldn't be a big issue if I am 5 minutes late when I work 50 to 60 hours a week. Believe me, the employer gets my time back, and then some. I do get comp time, but I usually don't put in for it unless it is a huge amount of time, since I am already in a "use it or lose it" situation with my accumulated vacation time.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

I personally hate being late... and it's not because I have 5 bosses, three of which are local and on site nearly 70% of the time, but because in my department the show doesn't start until I get there. I dislike having to wait and so I dislike making others wait. I make it a point to leave my home early enough to be on time or early 99.9% of the time. Call me old fashioned but certainly not old (30's).
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...