• Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Kinda bummed today...

Last night was an eventful one, to be sure... Got out of my car at a late-night store, and was immediately confronted by a do-rag-wearing young punk, brandishing a butterfly knife. The Glock was out of reach, or I'd have used it, so I had to do things the old fashioned way, and ended up busting him up pretty good. No problem, I thought, I've been here before... Today, however, I'm struggling with second thoughts about maybe working him over more than I had to. I'm remorseful that I could've gained control of the situation with more control and less damage. I lost my temper a little, and despite knowing I was well within my rights to deal with it this way, or even worse, I'm feeling guilty about it. This is not a feeling I would have had in my somewhat younger years. Just trying to reconcile it in my mind now, and not enjoying the process...
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

The punk got off easy. If you had access to your Glock he could be dead and you would be having different second thoughts. It could have ended a lot different, he could have been more agile and better with the knife than you anticipated and could have been the winner and drove off in your car with you wallet and house keys and left you bleeding on the ground. Yep, you should have broke both legs.

capncarl

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Loosing control of ones temper is disconcerting, I do not like doing it myself. You might find a small amount of solace in the thought that he might have been even worse off if you had access to the gun.

I always believe people get what they deserve. I'd probably try to think of it something like you just made delivery of some well deserved karma, and that slightly loosing control was the only way to carry it out.
      Erik

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I respect your feelings of remorse, but this was a much better outcome for both of you than some of the other possibilities, which definitely include serious injury or death. He has no business approaching people like that...hopefully, he'll learn a lesson. This was a bad situation that ended reasonably well. Personally, I think you done good!
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          Today, however, I'm struggling with second thoughts about maybe working him over more than I had to. I'm remorseful that I could've gained control of the situation with more control and less damage. I lost my temper a little, and despite knowing I was well within my rights to deal with it this way, or even worse, I'm feeling guilty about it.
          Yikes! Yeah, I can see where you're coming from -- that would be a tough one to work through. My guess is that at the end of the day you'll reconcile it. I mean, you don't have the benefit of hindsight and thoughtful consideration when you're "in the moment." It could have gone worse (for either of you) and it could have gone better. Maybe this one went just perfectly...
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Shep
            • Nov 2008
            • Columbus, OH
            • Hitachi C10FL

It's always hard to tell just how you will react when confronted with a situation like this. Often times thinking goes out the window and instints take over. It's good that you handled it properly and quickly. Just out of curiosity, did you call the cops afterwards or did you just let him hobble home to lick his wounds?
            -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by Shep
              Just out of curiosity, did you call the cops afterwards or did you just let him hobble home to lick his wounds?
              There was no hobbling or licking... He needed a hospital. I called the law, and sat there with the Glock in my lap (in case he had friends around) until the cops arrived.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, I see all of these "police brutality" complaints about some kid who tries running the cops over in a stolen car, nearly kills a family in their minivan as they are trying to get out of the way, and then pulls a weapon on the cops as they try to run away when they get hammered with the pit maneuver. These same punks then have the gall to act surprised when the cops lose control and render a serious butt kicking to them.

While I do not endorse needless violence, well as the old saying goes...

"He just needed to get his (symbol for the American Democrat Party) kicked".

I have only had something like that happen to me once, at Home Depot, I had a 2x4 in my hand... He needed an ambulance and a lawyer.

I am honestly not sure why your conscience should be bothering you about this. You did not go out of your way to harm somebody that wasn't bothering you. And maybe a solid beating will teach the twit that he just can't tell who is going to get the better of him for doing stupid stuff like that...
                Last edited by dbhost; 04-30-2010, 10:06 AM.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Rule #1...

Brandishing a knife with threatening actions in a case of non self defense = the risk of getting shot... physically harmed.. going to jail.. etc..

He got the lesser sentence! Remorse..? Remorse for what..?.. defending your right to be a peaceful.. law abiding citizen!

Thanks for having the balls to defend yourself and doing your civic duty without the use of tax-payer money for court cost. Do you suppose if he had harmed you he would be remorseful this morning? I already know the answer to that so.. no reply necessary!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I am honestly not sure why your conscience should be bothering you about this.
                    Neither am I, but it is. That's why I'm bugging. I guess it's because I know I could have just run him off or hurt him less. I'm embarrassed I lost control.

I'm reminded of a time years back when I sat on a jury, in judgment of a derelict drunk who threw a motorcycle helmet at a police officer, who promptly whipped out his nightstick and broke half the bones in the drunk's body with it. I was conflicted then, as well. Sure, the drunk was stupid, and deserved to go to jail, but was the cop entirely in the right to completely tenderize the guy? Still not sure about that...
                    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 04-30-2010, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Neither am I, but it is. That's why I'm bugging. I guess it's because I know I could have just run him off or hurt him less. I'm embarrassed I lost control.
                      Look at it this way—maybe he learned his lesson.
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Your feelings show that you are a man of compassion but you should purge any self doubt immediately. Hello.........I think they should throw you a parade.

Comment

• germdoc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Omaha, NE
                          • BT3000--the gray ghost

I am glad things turned out that way and that he was the only one who got hurt.

I am also glad you didn't have to use your weapon because that would have all kinds of legal and psychological implications. Better to avoid it if possible.
                          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I'm reminded of a time years back when I sat on a jury, in judgment of a derelict drunk who threw a motorcycle helmet at a police officer, who promptly whipped out his nightstick and broke half the bones in the drunk's body with it. I was conflicted then, as well. Sure, the drunk was stupid, and deserved to go to jail, but was the cop entirely in the right to completely tenderize the guy? Still not sure about that...
                            And that is what sets you apart from any thug : violence is easy, getting carried away is normal. But reflecting back and seeing if you could have done differently, particularly when you came off the 'winner', is both rare and commendable.

That said, can I say I'm in awe of you now, without tripping your guilt-meter any more? I'm picturing you like a Jack Reacher (Lee Child character), and am sure to be bragging about 'this friend of mine' who bought a mugger down. What can I say, I live vicariously !

I have never been in any similar, and am very relieved about that : I don't think I'd come out of it with anything intact - my person, my wallet or my dignity. If and when it ever happens, I wish I am alone (yeah, I'd rather be a closet coward), and that I'm wearing brown pants. No, that's not a joke .
                            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

A KNIFE...THAT'S NOT A KNIFE...THIS IS A KNIFE!! Remember that famous line by Mick Dundee? You just weren't equipped for the night beat. It's unfortunate you had a confrontation like that, it could have gone another way. That's never happened to me. I guess I might look more like a muger than a mugee.

Remorse? You shouldn't feel remorse for a guy like that. To do what he attempted calls for no sympathy. Did he learn a lesson? Probably not. I doubt I would have been as easy on him.

Comment

Working...