• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Storing A Generator Outside?

My generator takes up room in my shed. I was thinking about pouring a pad and moving it to where the transfer switch hookup is, then keeping a cover over it. Any issues with this? I would still run it every few months or so just to make sure it runs. It would be behind the house on the lee side of the weather and I could easily cast an eyebolt into the concrete and chain it in place.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Ambient moisture can't be that good for it. Eyebolt and boltcutters=bye bye.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

you might consider a small wooden structure over it, the size of a doghouse maybe.
      That and the chain might prove an adequate security if your neighborhood is not intrisically bad.

Put a set of permanent wiring to your transfer switch and an exhaust port, some rain protected ventilation and shielding it from rain and sun will make it last a while. You need to consider fueling and changing oil. Also a rubber vibration mount might keep noise down. or not.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• KLF
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2006
        • Barrington NH
        • BT3000 (of course)

I looked really hard at this last Fall when I was doing my generator setup. I really don't want the thing in the garage taking up space, plus have to hump it outside in the dark and rain when I need it. I have a Generac unit now, I want it in an enclosure outside on a pad, hardwired to the transfer switch.

I looked at this kit:

I figured I could get one of those plastic shed thingys and modify it to work. But I'm not keen on how hot it might get inside, and the longevity of it.

I haven't finished my setup yet, but what I've decided to do is to buy one of the steel enclosures that these folks sell in their package:

They are located right up the road from me, very convenient. They will sell me the encolsure and a 3" thick precast concrete pad for $500. I went and looked at them, they are very sturdy and well made, they give a 5 year guarantee against rusting. I just have to figure out how to plumb the exhaust out, which I think I have figured out.

I'm gonna put it in a spot about 25' away from the house, at the opposite end from the bedroom. I already have the feed wire run inside the house to where the conduit will enter in the garage, now I just have to find someone to help me dig a 25' long trench.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Make sure in any case that there is ventilation for your enclosure, both in breeze and calm air. Gasoline fumes in a compact area are a potential major problem.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

I would also seal the pad or put down a membrane to keep the moisture from coming up through the pad and rusting the underside.

You might also consider converting it to propane. Then there is no gas to evaporate and gum up the carburetor and make it imposable to start when you need it.

Bill
            over here in the rain

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I was thinking of a removable cover - like a grill cover. Of course if I have to run it in inclement weather that is not ideal. If I did a permanent cover, it would be nothing more than a roof over it. Maybe both - the removeable cover plus a roof to protect it from the worst. I would still need access to pull start it.

I was thinking about the propane kits a while ago and still may do that at some point down the road.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

the good thing about propane is that it won't go bad over time like gasoline and won't gum up your motor. You can also store propane separately e.g remove the tank.
                if you use propane for BBQ ing then that's also a help.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RAV2
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Massachusetts

This enclosure is available at Sears and Walmart.

Bike lock thru one of the wheel bolts limits mobility.

Unit uses natural gas from the bbq valve or the standard gasoline.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I have been trying to maintain my generator in an outside enclosure for 11 years now. It has probably has low hours on it, most are from the weekly exercise schedule it runs. The machine is completely shot from humidity damage. Nothing can be counted on to work properly and is not reliable. Everything has a light coat of rust. It has been moved into the shop for repairs and will probably be replaced. I will not re-install it outside again. I will install it in an enclosure in the shop or garage and exhaust and power vent it outside. This has made me have second thoughts about installing my compressor and dust collector outside also.
                    Side note** this is in south Georgia, and we have us some humidity here.
                    Generator type, Onan, 6.5kw water cooled marine, that is built for wet locations.
                    capncarl

Comment

• phi1l
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Madison, WI

Originally posted by capncarl
                      I have been trying to maintain my generator in an outside enclosure for 11 years now. It has probably has low hours on it, most are from the weekly exercise schedule it runs. The machine is completely shot from humidity damage. Nothing can be counted on to work properly and is not reliable. Everything has a light coat of rust. It has been moved into the shop for repairs and will probably be replaced. I will not re-install it outside again. I will install it in an enclosure in the shop or garage and exhaust and power vent it outside. This has made me have second thoughts about installing my compressor and dust collector outside also.
                      Side note** this is in south Georgia, and we have us some humidity here.
                      Generator type, Onan, 6.5kw water cooled marine, that is built for wet locations.
                      capncarl
                      I suspect the corrosion is actually due to build up of carbon dioxide from the soil. the problem can be minimized by using a crushed limestone "floor" for the enclosure.

Organinc mater in the soil decomposed generating the CO2. The CO2 reacts with water to create acid. covering the soil with limestone will result in the CO2 Acid disolving the calcium carbonate instead of the generator.

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Rav, that is an excellent suggestion and it gets around an objection I know my wife will have, namely that it does not look 'pretty'. As for the environmental factors, the generator is currently stored in an uninsulated shed so it will be in the same environment in an enclosure that it is in now.

One day I will convert mine to propane, not sure if the budget will allow it this year.
                        David

Comment

• RAV2
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2007
                          • Massachusetts

Originally posted by crokett
                          Rav, that is an excellent suggestion and it gets around an objection I know my wife will have, namely that it does not look 'pretty'. As for the environmental factors, the generator is currently stored in an uninsulated shed so it will be in the same environment in an enclosure that it is in now.

One day I will convert mine to propane, not sure if the budget will allow it this year.
                          Mine is actually natural gas.

Be careful, large generators demand a lot of propane. This one is a Generac 7000EXL (7000 watts constant, 12,500 peak). Propane users usually tap into 'big' tanks and are usually concerned about use.

This set-up, installed after I passed the 2 year warranty, gives me quite a bit of flexibility. I keep gas on hand, have the added security of using natural gas, and can pick up the unit and move it where I need it as it is portable.

I used to keep the unit in my garage but needed to shovel a path to be able to move the generator into place.

Now, in less than 5 minutes, I can put the house on the generator.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Conway, SC.
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by KLF
                            I looked really hard at this last Fall when I was doing my generator setup. I really don't want the thing in the garage taking up space, plus have to hump it outside in the dark and rain when I need it. I have a Generac unit now, I want it in an enclosure outside on a pad, hardwired to the transfer switch.

I looked at this kit:

I figured I could get one of those plastic shed thingys and modify it to work. But I'm not keen on how hot it might get inside, and the longevity of it.

I haven't finished my setup yet, but what I've decided to do is to buy one of the steel enclosures that these folks sell in their package:

They are located right up the road from me, very convenient. They will sell me the encolsure and a 3" thick precast concrete pad for $500. I went and looked at them, they are very sturdy and well made, they give a 5 year guarantee against rusting. I just have to figure out how to plumb the exhaust out, which I think I have figured out.

I'm gonna put it in a spot about 25' away from the house, at the opposite end from the bedroom. I already have the feed wire run inside the house to where the conduit will enter in the garage, now I just have to find someone to help me dig a 25' long trench.
                            I usually rent a small ditch digger for $45.00 per day. Sure saves the back. Makes a nice neat trench any depth you want.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Russell, NY, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

+1 on Mr Bill's second paragraph. I converted my generator to propane a couple of years ago as well a permanent location its piped into the house system. All the gasoline fuel created problems are ancient history now. Since we cook/heat water and have a propane furnace my 80 gal. will power the thing for a good while if needed.
                              RuffSawn
                              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...