X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

the one thing that is seen in any commercial generator set that is outside is crankcase heat. this keeps the crankcase at about 90 degrees which keeps the engine above the dew point of the surrounding air and prevents the majority of humidity problems even in high humidity areas.

Provide high and low natural ventilation in the housing and if the housing is fairly tight you will need to provide forced air circulation with a fan. I have used the 6 or 8" round duct booster fans succesfully on up to a 6500 watt generator 10 HP. If larger then that it will take a larger fan.

Most commercial gensets are exercised for 20 minutes monthly, on a six month basis they should be worked against a 50% load. Also if it is a new genset I would put a 30 to 40% load on it for about 3 hours and then a 80% load for 1 hour to break it in and find any warranty problems. Electric heaters work well or AC units on an RV. bear in mind that most generators have 2 separate 110 vac circuits and if you don't load both circuits you are only loading 1/2 of the windings. 240 VAC loads both sets of windings.

If you use gasoline be sure and use a marine fuel stabilizer to prevent fuel problems and change the oil yearly.

propane use will be about 10% higher then gasoline so if it burns 1 gal an hour gas it will burn a 5 gal tank in about 4 hours. you would need to use at lest the 15 gal tanks to get enough flow for continues operation.

hope this is usable info.
    Last edited by master53yoda; 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM.
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

Working...