• Show
Clear All
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

Ebay = scamalot?

For all I hear about Ebay having scam problems, I've never had even the slightest problem buying from there, spread out over maybe 10 years and 200-300 purchases. Have I just been lucky?

If anyone is interested, give us your approximate number of purchases over how many years, and if you've ever been scammed. Details on the scam are optional.
    Not a very scientific approach I'll admit, but we should be able to at least get a snapshot of how dangerous or not Ebay really is.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Same amount of time (10 years) and probably 100 transactions. Never had a problem with them. One sell was slow to send tracking info on a package they sent, but aside from that. I wouldn't say scam, just a lazy seller...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I purchased a rather high-end monitor, only to discover the account had been compromised. Interestingly enough, the account belonged to the head of security for Verizon. This was early on before Paypal had become so dominant, so I had sent a money order. However, w/ the help of the USPO, I was able to use a "retrieval of mail" form to get my $$$ back.

I've purchased other things from individuals that inflated condition, and used pictures of items in perfect condition only to ship items that looked like they had been driven over with a car.

Comment

• kevincan
        Established Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Central Illinois
        • Craftsman 21829

I have been using Ebay for 8 - 9 years. I have used it for both selling and buying and have not had any problem or been scammed. I do look at the feedback on the sellers I buy from. If it is a new seller I will not risk a large purchase on them.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I've only used Ebay 6 or 8 times over as many years, but never been scammed. I pay attention to the sellers, # of sales of each and the feedback ratings.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

While I agree with checking the sellers reputation, to play Devil's advocate, new sellers pop up all the time with no, or very little sales history, Look at their reputation as a buyer as well. I have noticed almost every bad seller I have looked at has a bad reputation as a buyer too... So if you have a seller that is new, or has very few sales transactions, but a good buying history, you are probably pretty safe... Not always, but most likely...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I have about 150 purchases over the years, and only one where the seller failed to deliver as agreed. PayPal credited the money back to me, and the seller soon disappeared from Ebay, which stuck to policy and did not give me any details. I do try to stick to sellers where there is documented positive history, but I'd do the same if I was shopping in a brick & mortar store.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

In 10 years and probably around 250 transactions or more I've only had one problem. Several years ago a seller took my money and didn't deliver a few Pentium-Pro processors he was supposed to have.
                Erik

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                  • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Over 100 transactions myself and one of each. I had a buyer that disappeared right after close of an auction, and one seller that never delivered. Unfortunately, I was too patient and by the time I contacted PayPal, it was beyond 30 days so they wouldn't refund the money. I'm only out 26 bucks but it still annoys me.
                  Chr's

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've probably had over 300 transactions with very few issues, and those were minor...no scams.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• herb fellows
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • New York City
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                      Over 100 transactions myself and one of each. I had a buyer that disappeared right after close of an auction, and one seller that never delivered. Unfortunately, I was too patient and by the time I contacted PayPal, it was beyond 30 days so they wouldn't refund the money. I'm only out 26 bucks but it still annoys me.
                      As well it should. To use a tired but tried and true phrase, It's not the money, it's the principle.
                      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

I have 955 positive transactions on ebay, since October 2001. As you might guess, I love ebay.

I sent 15 Pounds, in UK currency, I had left over from a trip, to buy a book in London. Never heard a thing and the seller was disbarred. A couple of the "antique" things I got from China, appeared to be recent antiques.

We did have a scammer bid on a car LOML was selling. He was going to send us a check for $10K, more than the purchase price. No Sale.

Otherwise I have been very satisfied.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

If I remember correctly, Ebay started in 95? I was on it in late 95 or early 96, with my 386, Windows 3.1, trumpet winsock, dial up. (really making myself feel old) I found it and bought a 387 math coprocessor for $1. (shipping MAY have been as much as $4). I was hooked and a relative said it wouldn't last (I wish I would have invested, LOL)
                          My ISP (non profit, connected with the public library) went belly up, overnight. I lost that email, Ebay account, and my dial up. A few weeks later, I was bbs'ing and looking for a free/cheap dial up internet access, when lightening took out my pc.

Got back on it in 98, only have less then a couple hundred transactions (selective and bargain hunter) and they are only purchases (never sold). I prefered it with Postal M/O, as I only had two problems. One was from a shipper in Canada (no idea if he shippped as said, and it got lost in customs or what), less then $10 (stopped buying for a bit due to it out of anger). The other time I bought from a company (sells off goods from shut down businesses), that received the money order and didn't ship. I contacted them and they claimed never to have received it. I sent another and filled out the forms at the post office and inspectors paid them a visit. The Ebay employee had deposited it, but was fired before shipping and no one knew WTH was going on. They QUICKLY corrected it.

I used to LOOK for low number sellers, as I received quite a few bargains from them. Most sold a few things then were no longer on (getting out of business and selling tools I was looking for). US Postal money orders made it a federal offense, so people didn't screw around. Several others lost accounts due to phishing, buying or selling outside of Ebay (approached but never bit), etc. NOT all (weak passwords can and do get guessed), but most of the issues I have heard of, are from the same people who believe a Nigerian prince needs their bank account to transfer money.
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

ive had well over 200 transacations all buying and have never been scammed where the buyer was out and out trying to rip me off the the total amount.

I've had a couple where the item was not as clean as represented and a couple where the seller failed to ship in a timely fashion and one where the item never arrived and the seller finally refunded my money.

There are some time limits like Paypal guarantee where you have to act in 30 days and its real easy for a bad seller to string you along for more than that.

By and large try and avoid deals too good to be true esp. on hot items like PCs, game consoles, etc. And look at the feedback, 98% is about the cutoff for me, allowing for a few people who are never happy.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Redford MI.
                              • Craftsman 21829

I have bought and sold on eBay and never had a scam problem. Lately however the auto bidding snipping problem has irritated me.

Comment

Working...