• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

GM to shut down Saturn

It appears that GM's deal with Penske to buy Saturn is dead.

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/pf/...60&floc=NI-mo3

GM pulled the plug on Saturn
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

That is a shame. Penske probably would have done a better job with Saturn than GM and he might have taken GM over later. What a waste good car and all the people who will lose their jobs. The communities around the plant will take a big hit also. I know the plant is in the south and not Detroit. I wonder if politics got involved some how, being GM is not owned by GM anymore. The reasons will come out sooner or later.

Tom

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by TB Roye
      I wonder if politics got involved some how, being GM is not owned by GM anymore. The reasons will come out sooner or later.
      I think I remember hearing that one of the up-front stipulations to the GM bailout deal was that they drop Pontiac, and sell Hummer and Saturn, or close them down if not sold within a prescribed time period. Nothing cloak-and-dagger here, just following through on the agreed plan. Sucks if you're one caught in the middle, though...

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I remember when Saturn was launched it was supposed to be something special - new automation techniques, labor from the south free of the UAW ties and associated huge pension costs, and a new way of financing ( no haggle fixed pricing).

WHat happened, did they just become another GM division after so many years? and the cars shared so many components with the other GM divs that they were nothing special?
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Charlie
          Banned
          • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
          Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:25 AM.

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by TB Roye
            The communities around the plant will take a big hit also. I know the plant is in the south and not Detroit.
            The Spring Hill, TN, plant has not produced Saturns for at least a couple years. The freeway exit signs around it used to say "Saturn Plant" but they were changed to simply "GM Plant." The spur from I-65 over to Spring Hill is still called "Saturn Parkway," however.

I think the factory has been building one or more SUV models for other GM divisions (not sure which), and also producing some parts. But I don't know whether it is operating at the same capacity as in Saturn's heyday.
            Larry

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

A lot of shuffling going on at GM. Last month the deal to sell 55% of Opel (German) that GM has owned since 1929 was in the making. The deal will allow GM to use Opel platforms as they are the underpinnings for the Buick LaCrosse and the new to come Chevrolet Cruze.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Maumee, OH, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

So Long Saturn...

I was disappointed to see the notice also. I purchased a '92 SC Coupe and drove it for 10 years with no problems at all. My Brother-In-Law is still driving it as a go to work car. Other than a broken passenger door latch, the car runs like new. It uses almost no oil between changes. And there is no rust due to the plastic body work. The entire chassis was dipped in epoxy paint at assembly time, so the thing is solid still, even with winter driving in Northwest Ohio road salt.
                Jim Frye
                The Nut in the Cellar.
                ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• pierhogunn2
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2009

Just read an article on this, it looks like Penske failed to find a manufacturer for the car, had one lined up but the board of directors of the new manufacturer cancelled the deal, effectively killing Penske's ability to proceede with the deal. I am sure GM would much rather sell the brand than shut it down for nothing

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    I remember when Saturn was launched it was supposed to be something special - new automation techniques, labor from the south free of the UAW ties and associated huge pension costs, and a new way of financing ( no haggle fixed pricing).

WHat happened, did they just become another GM division after so many years? and the cars shared so many components with the other GM divs that they were nothing special?
                    GM pulled Saturn into the corporate "fold" in about 2000 or 2001, and they've been in the toilet ever since then.

I have had 2 of them (still have my second) my mom owns one, etc... They were a great little car. I love the reliability and gas mileage I get from mine!

I guess this is going to be the last GM product to hit my driveway. There is nothing in any of the other divisions that interests me...

Now Ford on the other hand has had some much more interesting offerings as of late. Specifically in the Lincoln division... Especially the MKZ. Not even close to the same class of car, but interesting no less.

As far as Penske being able to do a better job of running Saturn than GM, as a former employee of Penske, I HIGHLY doubt it, unless he keeps his fingers out of the deal... He has a tendency to go for style over substance every single time... Look at the past 15 years history of his United Auto Group performance and you will see what I mean... He comes into a market, buys up older dealerships, pumps a ton of money into remodeling them, and within a year or two closes them down because he can't make any money...
                    Last edited by dbhost; 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by pierhogunn2
                      I am sure GM would much rather sell the brand than shut it down for nothing
                      I worked for GM as a financial analyst for a while before they became Government Motors and the above is a huge understatement. It cost GM millions I believe over 100 million but don't quote me on that, to shut down the Oldsmobile division due to dealer contract buyouts, union buyouts, asset writeoffs etc. I left GM before the bankruptcy so I don't know if there was a bankruptcy exemption for these discontinuations or not, but it will still cost them a bundle.
                      Chr's

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

LOML had 3 Saturns, starting in 1992. She loved the first one, and drove it until the tires fell off. The second one looked good, but didn't last nearly as long. The third one was ugly and spent more time in the shop than at the house. Obviously, the more time went by, the more corners they cut. And the consumers eventually spoke.

Comment

• BasementJunkie
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Apr 2007

Here's a pretty informative article on why Saturn failed; illogical concepts excecuted poorly tend not to work out too well.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/10/01/auto...ion=2009100111

The senior managers in Detroit have been incompetent / in denial for 20 years. People (like me) who have tried to support American carmakers over the year get burned by inferior products. LOML's Toyota (and the Honda before that) has been a great car, at a decent price, and I can drive it without fear of breakdown.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                            • sears BT3 clone

One of the changes I noticed with Saturn is they used to be a unique brand with unique strategies and vehicle design. When GM got their fingers fully into them they lost the unique qualities and as of late became an outlet for GM to market their European-made vehicle in the US. Saturn lost everything that made them different.
                            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Redford MI.
                              • Craftsman 21829

Currently own a 2005 Saturn. Hmm if they close all the dealerships where the heck do I get parts if it breaks down?

Comment

Working...