• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

do you wear a wristwatch?

I used to wear a wristwatch all the time.
    In the last few years, I came to rely upon my cell phone which tells me the time and keeps it synchronized to the mobile servicecs time base which is presumably tied to the time standard somewhere in the world.

This works when I'm in the normal mode of haning around town, working and relaxing as I almost always have the phone on my belt.

But there are a few instances where it fails me. When I travel, you have to have the phone off in the airplane. So for the duration of the trip I don't know how long we've been going, or how much longer its going to be or if we are going to be late. When we arrive, I turn the phone back on. On a good day the time is updated immediatley for the local time an all is well. On a bad day, the time won't be updated for quite a while an I'll still be showing local time at home which can be confusing not knowing if the time zone/hour is correct.

On my recent vacation I was many time zones away on a cruise ship did not carry my cell phone - so I wore a watch, Also I saw lots of duty free jewelry shops selling all manner of watches rfom Guess an swatch to Rolexes and Tag Heuers.

So, who still wears watches?
    all the time - as ornamental jewelry
    0.76%
    Sometimes for dress up ornamental
    6.06%
    All the time, for telling time
    52.27%
    When travelling
    2.27%
    Never - use my cell phone
    21.21%
    never (retired and don't care what time it is)
    10.61%
    Other
    6.82%

The poll is expired.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Like you, I have begun to rely on me cell phone for time. It makes LOML nuts. She believes you have to wear a watch. It's mandatory. Now I don't wear a watch because it drives LOML nuts.

BTW - yes, the mobile networks keep accurate time. It's required that the radios maintain accurate time, for two main reasons. First, they derive their frequencies from their primary reference source, which is what keeps a call from being dropped when the hand-held moves from cell to cell. Second, call accounting data is derived from the time of day information generated by each call.

JR
    JR

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I still use a watch, as a matter of fact I just replaced a 30+ year-old Seiko. If I forget my watch I go nuts looking at my bare wrist all day!

I rarely use my cellphone so haven't gotten into the habit of using it as a replacement timepiece.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

More often then not. I do have to take it off for things (vehicle work, at work as well due to restrictions, etc). I don't have a cell phone, as it is a LOT more expensive then my home phone, with no side benefit for me (it would allow work to get me easier). I don't receive many calls, and until they get the cell phone, down to $20 a month for unlimited calling, it does me know good (not as reliable either).

My watch however, is a G shock, that also receives the updated time signal being broadcast. I believe I can set multiple times for it (two different area's if I remember correctly) as well as adjust it by time zone. If I am out of a broadcast area, it keeps going, and I don't need to turn it off.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I never wear one anymore. I used to, but I've managed to smash 7 or 8 crystals, then have had the normal band replacements, batteries, etc....it's just too much trouble to bother with.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drillman88
            • Dec 2007
            • Southeast
            • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I can't stand to have anything that feels like it is binding me. I don't wear jewelry of any type including my wedding band, although that has to do with safety as well. I cut that finger pretty badly at work when it got caught on something. I even have to wear the sleeves of my shirts above my elbows or long sleeved pulled up above my wrists.
            So the cell phone works great for me.I dont need to carry my pocket watch anymore.
            I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• tseavoy
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
              • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I wear my watch all the time unless I am in bed. I have a cell phone, but hardly ever use it. If I leave it on all the time I would have to recharge it every day or two. I lost my company 30 years of service award Seiko some time ago -- it fell overboard, it's a long story -- so now I have a Target Store Timex.

Tom on Marrowstone

A proud supporter of the makers of fine beer

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

I guess I am old school. I got used to wearing one and still do. When I travel to different time zones I use my Cell to check time, save the hassel of reseting my digital watch. Being retired I have a calander but don't change the month very often. Being retired I don't keep track of date or time very much.

Tom

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

I don't wear a watch while working. I have a wall clock for that. Don't use the cellphone as the numbers are tiny and stuck in a corner.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

Many years ago, my dad bought me a watch for Christmas. It was self winding and told the date. I loved that watch and wore it every day( except when in bed ). It finally got the the point where age, wear and tear forced me to retire that watch and I was going with wally world cheapies. In 2006 I came in third in a lift truck rodeo ( that's another story) and they gave me a Swiss Army watch. I had to replace the battery once but I use it every day. When the baterry quit and I left it off, I felt naked!
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Hoover
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • USA.

Yes, I wear a watch constantly, except when bathing. I have a small collection of watches, some are automatics, the rest are quartz.

The Swiss Army watch is one of my favorites. It has great lumination at night.
                      Attached Files
                      No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

Prior to cell phones with time displays I wore lots of watches. Seems that a watch and I do not get along, either I destroy it or it just stops working. I have had watches that worked just fine on the dresser but as soon as I start wearing it it stops or starts keeping the wrong time. I had an Eddie Bauer watch that started to run backwards. I sent it in and the replacement worked great for about 6 months and then it to started to do strange things. I now rely on the clocks I have all over the place and the cell phone. Mine has a large time display on the outside that lights up. Have to use the reading glasses to read anything else on it but the time is great and I use the alarms all the time too.

Of course the cell phone does strange things too, like now I can't download a photo from it but I can sync the contact list and appointments. I am just waiting for it to stop telling me the time.

Bill,

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

The main times I wear a watch are when I don't need to know what time it is. Sure as I'm sitting here, if I need to know the time, it's home in a drawer...

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

I got my first watch when I was in 7th grade and had never been without one until I reached 58... that's when I retired and within a matter of days, my much loved Seiko quict working too.

I figured somebody, somewhere was trying to tell me something!

So, I don't particularly care what time it is anymore... at least not down to the minute. I eat breakfast when I wake up, and the LOML calls me when it's time for lunch and dinner. I've got the little clock on the bottom corner of the screen when I'm on the computer and all my appointments are there too.

When I'm on the road, time matters only to where I am, as opposed to where I want to be. When I'm on the radio (Ham), time matters only to when I have to identify. When I'm in the shop or with friends, time doesn't matter at all.

The leaves are beginning to turn, so I think it's still September, isn't it?

CWS
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Ed62
                              The Full Monte
                              • Oct 2006
                              • NW Indiana
                              • BT3K

I wear mine 24/7. It rarely comes off, even though I know it should when I'm in the shop.

Ed
                              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...