X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Anybody tried the new Internet Explorer 8

yet? I downloaded and ran it a little while ago and it is some what faster than the older versions. The drop down url list is better too. Don't know what all the changes are yet, but it does appear to be an improvement. Download time and install took about a total of 15-20 minutes. Thought I'd drop a note for those who might want to try it.
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Firefox does everything I need it to, so why should I use a MS product? When MS actually produces a superior product, I will switch.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by jonmulzer
      Firefox does everything I need it to, so why should I use a MS product? When MS actually produces a superior product, I will switch.
      Because Firefox doesn't have nearly complete compatabilty across the board with all add-ons that IE does. This means that you will find features of certain website that just don't work on Firefox.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by RAFlorida
        yet? I downloaded and ran it a little while ago and it is some what faster than the older versions. The drop down url list is better too. Don't know what all the changes are yet, but it does appear to be an improvement. Download time and install took about a total of 15-20 minutes. Thought I'd drop a note for those who might want to try it.
        I installed it earlier today and so far it seems very fast and completely stable. That's 2 things MS isn't known for.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• DUD
          Royal Jester
          • Dec 2002
          • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I was a tester, and got to like it. Bill
          5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by maxparot
            Because Firefox doesn't have nearly complete compatabilty across the board with all add-ons that IE does. This means that you will find features of certain website that just don't work on Firefox.
            I haven't noticed any. Firefox also is not integrated into the OS so...

a) much easier to move your settings to a new PC, just copy the profile directory and profile.ini file instead of looking in several places
            b) less suseptible to malware and other nasties.

Firefox also has lots of neat add-ons like a bookmark synchronizer.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• alpha
              Established Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Interesting . . . You may want to stick to Firefox for a while!

IE 8 is hacked in 2 minutes…
              A researcher has already hacked IE 8. It took him just two minutes at the PWN2OWN contest. Details have been disclosed to Microsoft. But Microsoft refuses to confirm the vulnerability.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...src=hm_ts_head

Bob

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, like virus propogation web sites that rely on ActiveX.

If your I.E. setup has even halfway reasonable security, it trips on the same stuff Firefox does...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

I have yet to run into a website that I have had to revert to IE for. The ONLY thing IE is ever used for on this computer is Windows Update. It has yet to be an issue. Until it does, I am sticking with Firefox.

The problem with such statements is that they are usually put out on the web by Microsoft. Several years ago I got a call from a friend that had installed Windows Defender on their PC and after its scan it showed Firefox as being malware and a browser that was used to spy on those using it and that it also had many security vulnerabilities. This is what MS wants people to believe. AFAIK they removed that from Defender, but it still shows the true colors of the corporation.
                  "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

This is the same kind of **** that mcafee does. Their software is, according to them, not compatible with anything out there.
                    Therefore, the solution is to get rid of Mcafee, which I will be doing as soon as my contract with them runs out next month!

If they don't want to play nice with others, just play with the others! I don't know what fantasy world these companies live in that they think they can dictate what we should and should not use!
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

And those are the sites I don't visit and don't do business with. I'm just stubborn enough that if a site can't follow the established web standards, they can take a leap as far as I'm concerned.

Petty of me, I know, but that's the way I feel.
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Montgomery, AL.
                        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by alpha

A researcher has already hacked IE 8. It took him just two minutes at the PWN2OWN contest. Details have been disclosed to Microsoft. But Microsoft refuses to confirm the vulnerability.

Bob
                        Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but this guy also cracked Firefox and Safari at the same conference.

This just proves my point of view. It doesn't matter what software or hardware you're using, if a human created it, it's just a matter of time before someone cracks it. Some things are easier than others, but all are vulnerable.
                        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• jziegler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Salem, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

And IE (especially earlier versions) doesn't follow the HTML and CSS standards well at all, so if you write in the standard languages of the web, you have to hack your pages to work well on IE. Compatability issues go both ways, but ask any web developer (at least the ones I've talked to) and making a page work right for IE is harder.

Jim

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by alpha

Bob
                            All I can say is - wow.

Comment

• catta12
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Reno, NV
                              • BTS20R

I read a review on Yahoo Tech that makes IE8 sound pretty bad. Here are a couple excerpts:

The list of websites that don't work with IE8 is enormous (including eBay, Apple.com, Facebook, Google, and even Microsoft.com), so Microsoft issued a running table of sites that automatically fall back to Compatibility Mode when you visit them (you won't even see the Compatibility Mode icon when you hit one of these sites).

No matter what Microsoft's internal benchmarks and PR department claim, pages simply -- and almost unilaterally -- load more slowly with the browser vs. the competition, and even vs. IE7. Average page load times in my tests, based on a sample of common websites were as follows:

> IE8 - 4.3 seconds
                              > IE7 - 3.4 seconds
                              > Firefox 3 - 3.1 seconds
                              > Safari 3 - 2.8 seconds

The full story is here

I think I will stick with Firefox and just keep IE7 around for updates or the occasional page that only works in IE.
                              If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

Working...