• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
    To me watching Norm is sort of like watching the Victoria Secrets fashion show. My chances of any hands on experience with what I see is about the same.

bill,
    Okay NOW I'm depressed, and I'm not sure why, probably both causes...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Redford MI.
      • Craftsman 21829

Count me in the "I love Norm Abram" camp. Sure he uses some high
      end machinery but hey is it not cool to see some of those in operation?
      I know I'll never own some of the machinery in his shop but I love watching how he uses them and how the machines work.
      The only tool I could aspire too that even Norm does not use would be a multi-thousand dollar cnc wood router setup.
      And no not that trash thing Sears sells.
      Last edited by sparkeyjames; 03-02-2009, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• mclear6
        Established Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Northern NJ

I don't get to watch as much as I would like, but I just remember watching one time and noticing that he was using some Irwin Quick Grips to clamp some project. I remember saying to my wife, "look I have those..." The only thing is that the brand name Irwin was covered with duct tape... Not porter cable or delta, can't show the brand.

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

Norm's tools and projects are getting beyond what the average (if there is such as thing) woodworker can do or afford to even buy the lumber, etc.

This old house is no longer Joe Six pack and his family's house. Now is what I can do with several million dollars. There is a disconnect with reality and the original series.

Yes, I still watch his Normness, but I cringe when he whips out his brad nailer. The earlier shows were more fun to watch, and you could imagine yourself being there and doing it.

If Norm asks the government for a tool purchase bail out, I will sell all my tools and go to Roy Underhill for forgiveness!!!
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

I think of it like watching a show about new cars (top gear is my favorite!). I'm never going to own a new mercedes or porche but I still like watching them get driven around and tested. I'm doing the same thing they are on a day-to-day basis but I'm in a Ford and a Mazda, sometimes dreaming of racing while doing it.

another way to describe it is reading Fine WoodWorking but building projects out of Family Handyman.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• WLee
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2004
              • Elkhorn, WI, USA.

Originally posted by Hoover
              Norm's tools and projects are getting beyond what the average (if there is such as thing) woodworker can do or afford to even buy the lumber, etc.

This old house is no longer Joe Six pack and his family's house. Now is what I can do with several million dollars. There is a disconnect with reality and the original series.
              This Old House "jumped the shark" into mega-mansion territory a long, LONG time ago... like a decade or so.

I think a big part of that is that they are in "New England" and mainly around the Boston ("Baastun") area -- or they end up in Connecticutticuttt or on Looong Island or some other $$$ territory. It'd be a lot different if they were from fly-over land where most of us live.

Originally posted by Hoover
              Yes, I still watch his Normness, but I cringe when he whips out his brad nailer. The earlier shows were more fun to watch, and you could imagine yourself being there and doing it.
              That's probably the only time I *don't* cringe. Brad Nailers are dirt cheap (I picked a new one up for $25 the other day) -- and (having used one now for nearly a decade) they are dang useful things, for a LOT of things, it beats screws or hammer & nails hands down.

The other item that always USED to make me *cringe* was when he whipped out his "biscuit cutter" -- I mean didn't everyone have a biscuit cutter?

But then I actually picked one up (one of the small Ryobi-made models, but the Sears package on sale) -- tried it, and now I have no idea what I would do without it (it has made doing cabinet panel-styled work a piece of cake -- helluva lot better than any doweling jig BS).

Ironically that was the first Ryobi tool I'd ever bought -- and now my workshop is a sea of Blue/Gold with the Red & White logos on darn near everything (well, maybe 75% of the tools anyway).

So I figure I owe Norm for at least those two things -- the biscuit cutter and the brad nailer.

But beside that I always figured the best comedic send-up of "Nahm" was the good old "Tim the Toolman Taylor" from the Home Improvement series; he was forever shilling some new piece of tool/crap that he managed to mangle/bungle everything up with.
              Last edited by WLee; 03-10-2009, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• BearPipes-1
                Established Member
                • May 2006
                • Silicon Valley, CA
                • Ryobi BT3100

Now, Roy Underhill, I have watched him from the beginning too, and I kid you not, I have a few better tools, and I can do a better job than he if I can use a bit of electric.
                ...in half an hour, like he does? Including bandaging time?

I love St. Roy, and I think it's spectacular what he's able to do given his philosophy about how to put a show together (up to 3 takes, no edits).
                Don't just say no to kickback.

Comment

• hermit
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Somerset, PA, USA.

here's my 2 cents. I like Norm. Always have, in fact I think I learned most of my woodworking from him. As far as the tools go, if you watch original episodes, he didn't have that many extravagant tools, and even used a hammer quite often. But, just like most of us, his shop grew over the years. Heck who still uses only the couple tools you made your first project with, many years later?

Todd

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

I've watched most all the DIY type shows and for the most part they are all entertaining, and informative. I don't think any of them are directed to a specific type of work, or shop set up. They demonstrate different tools, which for the most part may be new to the average homeowner. We can look for the "intended advertising" if we want to, but lets face it, it's showbiz.

Comment

• docrowan
                      • Mar 2007
                      • New Albany, MS
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      another way to describe it is reading Fine WoodWorking but building projects out of Family Handyman.
                      Hey, now! - I resemble that remark!
                      - Chris.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                        I think of it like watching a show about new cars (top gear is my favorite!). I'm never going to own a new mercedes or porche but I still like watching them get driven around and tested. I'm doing the same thing they are on a day-to-day basis but I'm in a Ford and a Mazda, sometimes dreaming of racing while doing it.

Well, If Porsche ever decides to offer another clunker like the 914, or 924 (VW Type 4 with an engine spun around midship, and a rebodied Rabbit...) you can afford those I am pretty sure...

I'll keep my Ford and my Saturn thank you very much.
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• kirkroy
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Brunswick, MD

I like watching Norm and the style of furniture he makes appeals to me. If you want to talk about tool envy, I remember at least one of David Marks' shows where he says something to the effect of, "run the board through your jointer diagonally" and the board he's referring to is over 10" wide... Uh, yeah, I'll do that.

Comment

• JeffG78
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                            • BT3100

His 20" jointer has to weigh more than my truck. Did you see his nickel test with it? He stands a nickel on edge and starts the jointer up to show how little vibration it has.

I can just see it now... David calls his buddy and says "hey, I just bought a tool at a garage sale, can you give me a hand moving it?"

Comment

• BigguyZ
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I dunno. I was matching the Sam Maloof video series on the wood working channel website, and he was talking about some of the tools he has.... Or has been given. I can't fault a guy for using the best he has available. David Marks and the Aircraft carrier he calls a jointer are waaaaaay more than what I have access to. Don't forget the 2 or 3 bandsaws, and the drum sander (not a $$$$$$$$$ tool, but I think most WWers don't have them).

I think it's probably to be expected. At least on TV. Now some webcasts are great- because they're much more Average Joe type endeavors. Have you seen what "T-Chisel" has done on his site? He has a Sawstop, but other than that it's almost all hand tools.... And my god, the things he does...

Comment

• toolguy1000
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2009
                                • westchester cnty, ny

is that shop Norm's? unless i'm mistken, i believe the shop on NYW is the prooperty of Russ Morash, the creator of TOH, Ask TOH and NYW. although talented, norm may just be using someone else's equipment. just my $.02. BTW. i've spent a lot of time on the ridgid forum and have just discovered this site. so far, the postings i've seen and the info they contain is really first rate.
                                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...