• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Why Norm Abram is cavalier

I was chatting with a friend about Norm and where he fits into the world. He doesn't particularly like him because "he has a shop that, I think, costs more than my house."

He went on to role-play his style a bit. I got a kick out of it, so I hope you do, too.
    Norm says, "Now in order to add some texture to the surface of this table, we'll walk over here to my high energy particle accelerator... You can't get good results if you have a fermion accelerator -- those are trash -- if you have one of those, trash it right now -- you need a bradion accelerator that can sustain 0.995*c at the very least -- and you need the autoquark vac to collect the waste -- don't cut corners here, 'cause shop safety is #1 and your body can only absorb so many pions...."
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Hysterical... and not far from the truth...

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I like Norm, he has served to be a good inspiration for many woodworkers.

I also hate Norm. Not really hate, but, well... He does a LOT of damage to would be woodworkers that maybe only can afford construction grade lumber, a benchtop saw, and a few hand tools. These guys and gals see Norm's shop and walk away with the impression that woodworking is an elitist pursuit. In all honestly it can be, but by its very nature it isn't. Some of the prettiest wood pieces I ever made were simply carving with my Swiss Army Knife when I was a boy. My parents still have it, I am hoping talk them into snapping a pic of an Eagle's head I carved when I was at scout camp when I was in 6th grade...

I think for the case of the "Joe Six Pack", Marc Spagnulo, and the guys at Wood Magazine are MUCH better teachers of the art. Sure they like a well equipped shop as much as anyone else, but they also show us how to make do with what we may have on hand...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

LOL. That's pretty funny.

I will say that the current season (which rehashes episodes from previous seasons) illustrates that the producers have gotten much better at product placement over the years.

Earlier shows wanted to highlight and demonstrate tools. It seemed uncomfortable at times, like you were being pitched. I'm sure the Delta/PC people loved it, but it was the wrong approach whether the manufacturers knew it or not.

Later, the producers got smart and realized that showing Nahm in a sea of blue/gray tools was enough. I wonder how many Unisaws have been sold because "its what Nahm has" to people that never really got the knack and later sold the gear. All Nahm has to say is, "and I'll do that at the mortising machine" and then turn to another Delta tool. The person watching the show will understand it is Delta and Nahm likes Delta.

It is funny that Scott Phillips still seems to take the previous approach. He stops the show on occasion and goes to his garage where he shows a second shop that is pitched as within the grasp as weekend warriors.

Product placement, done well, is a very effective sales tool. Done poorly, people sense it and often resent the sales pitch.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery
          LOL. That's pretty funny.

I will say that the current season (which rehashes episodes from previous seasons) illustrates that the producers have gotten much better at product placement over the years.

Earlier shows wanted to highlight and demonstrate tools. It seemed uncomfortable at times, like you were being pitched. I'm sure the Delta/PC people loved it, but it was the wrong approach whether the manufacturers knew it or not.

Later, the producers got smart and realized that showing Nahm in a sea of blue/gray tools was enough. I wonder how many Unisaws have been sold because "its what Nahm has" to people that never really got the knack and later sold the gear. All Nahm has to say is, "and I'll do that at the mortising machine" and then turn to another Delta tool. The person watching the show will understand it is Delta and Nahm likes Delta.

It is funny that Scott Phillips still seems to take the previous approach. He stops the show on occasion and goes to his garage where he shows a second shop that is pitched as within the grasp as weekend warriors.

Product placement, done well, is a very effective sales tool. Done poorly, people sense it and often resent the sales pitch.
          That might explain why I don't own anything Delta or Porter Cable.
          But then again, my Forstner bits are Porter Cable... There goes that idea.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jonmulzer
            • Dec 2007
            • Indianapolis, IN

I love Norm's show. I DVR every episode and love to watch. I hate it when he does reclaimed wood though.

Not that I am against reclaimed wood, it can make beautiful furniture! I hate that he suggests to use your wide belt sander and you can have all the gritty stuff off in a few seconds. But if you don't have a wide belt sander you can spend the better part of a week using a hand held belt sander covered in carcinogenic dust with your shoulders about to fall off and accomplish the same thing.

Or when he resaws. Just head over to the corner of your shop and use your $2,000 Hitachi resaw bandsaw with its 3" wide blade and frame made for the high tension loads with the aggressive carbide toothed blade. The same blade that cost more than the bandsaw most hobbyists use.

Or when he makes certain moldings. Just set up the molding machine that costs as much as a slightly used Honda. You have to install the custom ground knives that probably cost the same as the aforementioned hobbyists bandsaw, to run 10' of crown. With a custom set of knives for those projects, what is the per foot cost of the moldings? Answer, possibly a bit more than the mortgage for most people's first homes.

It is those three tools that get my goat. Most everything else a home hobbyist could have in one fashion or another. Probably not ALL of what is left, but some. I doubt anyone on this board has half their bench lined up with cordless drills, or two drawers full of routers though.

I am just thankful I have only seen one Festool on there. He should get royalties off of every mortiser and brad nailer sold to a home hobbyist though. I would be willing to wager that before Norm almost no one had a mortiser for sure. Same with biscuit joiners for the most part. Although I doubt few bought the $800 Lamello he has multiples of, including a cordless version!

With all that complaining though, I still love the show and watch it every single week.
            "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Daryl
              • May 2004

I have enjoyed Norm from the beginning, but I would kid myself if I thought I could compete with his tool collection.
              Now, Roy Underhill, I have watched him from the beginning too, and I kid you not, I have a few better tools, and I can do a better job than he if I can use a bit of electric.
              Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

I, too, have a bit of a problem with Nahm and his high-buck tools. But I also have a problem with those that look down their noses at any non-purist who stoops to using power tools.

My thought is: use what works for you, not what the guy on the tube uses.
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• docrowan
                  • Mar 2007
                  • New Albany, MS
                  • BT3100

I really don't think Norm's show is aimed at the weekend wood wacker like most of the folks here at BT3Central. I think it is aimed at the casual viewer who simply wants to watch him make something. My parents have never owned anything more powerful than an electric drill and a jigsaw and have never built any kind of furniture, but they enjoy watching Norm. Me, I tend to get frustrated and I much more enjoy watching that new Wood magazine show and "Ask This Old House".
                  - Chris.

Comment

• JeffW
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
                    • BT3100

That why I liked Wood Works with David Marks. His shop was his shop and he had many old tools in it. I think the only new tool I saw was his lathe.
                    Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• JeffG78
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by JeffW
                      That why I liked Wood Works with David Marks. His shop was his shop and he had many old tools in it. I think the only new tool I saw was his lathe.
                      I don't know about that. Yes, he has mostly old tools, but how many causual woodworkers have a 20" jointer? I do like that it is his own personal shop. Anybody know if Nahm's shop is really a TV studio?

Comment

• jonmulzer
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by JeffG78
                        I don't know about that. Yes, he has mostly old tools, but how many causual woodworkers have a 20" jointer? I do like that it is his own personal shop. Anybody know if Nahm's shop is really a TV studio?
                        Nope, it is a shop that was built at Russ Morash's home. The original Unisaw that they used was even Russ' that was given as a present to him from his wife. There is a whole website devoted to the tools. www.normstools.com if I remember correctly.
                        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                          • sears BT3 clone

His shop is nowhere near as stocked as a production wood shop or even a cabinet makers shop. He may have a couple of tools beyond the causal woodworker but there are hobby grade versions of all of his tools.
                          If he was using sliding beam saws, cnc routers, ripsaws, etc then I'd say his show was beyond what a hobbiest can do.
                          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2007
                            • Tacoma, WA
                            • BT3000

To me watching Norm is sort of like watching the Victoria Secrets fashion show. My chances of any hands on experience with what I see is about the same.

bill,

Comment

• Alex Franke
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • Chapel Hill, NC
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                              To me watching Norm is sort of like watching the Victoria Secrets fashion show. My chances of any hands on experience with what I see is about the same.
                              Now THAT is funny. ROFL!
                              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...