• Show
Clear All
  • stormdog74
    Established Member
    • Mar 2007
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

Work Boots

I am thinking about buying a good pair of work boots for projects around the house and I was wondering if it was worthwhile to consider safety boots (otherwise known as steel toe boots I believe).

Any opinions? Pros? Cons?

Thanks for any help.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

They always used to hurt my feet... If you are not routinely hoisting appliances or other heavy objects above them, felling trees, or kicking large dogs in the head, then you probably won't derive much benefit from steel-toes around the house...

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

This is really a no-brainer for me. Boxers wear steel cups don't they? Well you may not value your toes like the family jewels, but I'll testify that toes will flatten just so far, until squeeze out occurs. This is a BAM (by all means) decision for me.

Comment

• JBCrooks
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006
        • Seneca, SC

I recently ordered a pair of Belleville military safety boots. I didn't care specifically for the steel toe, but those were more comfortable and lasted several times longer than any other work boots I have gotten lately.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I can't count the number of times steel toes saved me pain from dropping logs, landscape block, sharp tools, or sheet goods.

Living only 20 miles from the home of Red Wing Shoes, Red Wing work boots are truly outstanding and comfortable enough to wear all day. They are spendy though, in the $200 range.
          Chr's

Comment

• mmcduffie
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Des Moines, Washington.
            • BT3000

I wear these from Red Wing.

No break in, comfortable from the start and I get about 5 years before they look too ratty to keep wearing.

You might be surprised at the variety of styles that Red Wing has. Everything from traditional work boots which are a bit too much for my needs to sneakers with steel safety toes. They also carry a line of plastic safety toe boots.

I used to wear Iron Age brand metatarsal boots at the steel mill and still have a nasty old pair around for just in case.

Michael
            Last edited by mmcduffie; 12-08-2008, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• drillman88
              • Dec 2007
              • Southeast
              • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

I like Rocky brand boots they are really comfortable and durable.The pair I wear now cost in the $100 range.If you go to a store that deals with industrial safety shoes they will have sneaker and hiking style shoes that are much lighter than boots and offer steel toes as well.
              I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

They can be comfortable. I think Red Wing is a good one.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I can't comment on the steel-toed ones since I haven't worn a pair since leaving the railroad in 1980 and they have surely made improvements since then. I prefer 8" high tops and I used to really like Vasque (a Red Wing subsid'y, I believe) so now I either buy the RWs or Carolina's. Try some on and walk around the store for 10 minutes to see if they rub anywhere. Oh yea, don't forget to wear a pair of socks that you plan to use with the new boots.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• Zenaca
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Idaho

Wal mart sells Georgia brand steel toes that arn't very pricey. I have owned several pairs of georgis boots and they have held up pretty well and fairly comfortable too. The most comfortable pair of boots i own are Danner boots great fit and comfortable walking all day long right out of the box,just a little pricey tho.

Bud

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i am on my 3rd or fourth pair of ST shoes, mine are the ones by Hush Puppy and they are very comfortable compared to the ones I had before. Pay enough money to get ones that fit right so you can wear them all day. I have wide feet and paid more for the shoes but it was worth it. most of our customers and our own field shops have requirements for ST shoes on work locations.

See if your company has an allowance for safety equipment to help subsidize.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Popeye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Woodbine, Ga
                        • Grizzly 1023SL

For my money it's Redwings. I wear them every day. The last pair I had looked like running shoes and were light and breathed well. Cost me about $100-120 but well worth it. Drop a 4qtr oak board on your big toe just once and it'll be worth every penny it cost ya for steel toes. Pat
                        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• JeffG78
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                          • BT3100

While I was framing houses many years ago, I never had steel toe boots, but a buddy of mine that I worked with had both ST and regular boots. He always complained about how uncomfortable the ST boots were and how fast the leather wore through over the steel. We both always wore Red Wings and loved them, but he always said hom much he hated the steel toes. He had to buy them for another job he had, so he attempted to get his money out of them.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • On the TARDIS
                            • BT 3100

You might want to look at running shoe style safety shoes also. After wearing a heavy work boot all day the last thing I want to do is put some on again. I have a lighter pair of safety shoes for the shop and around the yard. It helps when work pays for a new pair every year.
                            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2003
                              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                              • BT3100

I used to work wearing sneakers, until I dropped a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF on my big toe. After five years, the nail is still weird.

Now I only wear steel toes.

Bruce
                              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...