• Show
Clear All
  • jwd12
    Established Member
    • Jun 2005
    • Dyer, In..
    • BT3100

water damage

I had 6' 9" of water in my basement shop this past weekend. Most everything was stored below this height. Drills, routers, sharpeners, etc. were submerged. Any hope for them? Fortunately the BT3100 was moved to the garage.
    I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

Hopefully you have good insurance since the odds are, you are going to wind up junking a good portion of the electrical items. I was flooded during Hurricane Ivan but I did manage to salvage more than I expected. Use lots of lube on anything metal and take apart everything that can be taken apart to give things a chance to dry out. Get some non-greasy spray lube and i does a pretty good job of buying you some time. If you have a compressor (that didn't get submerged) it helps getting rid of some of the concealed moisture.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I would let electrical items dry out completely and then try them out soon thereafter. Don't let them have time to rust out. Using a blow gun may help, but also may push moisture where it wasn't. If they were submerged, I guess it wouldn't matter.

Make sure you are well insulated while you're doing this stuff.

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

What about a dehumidifier? I bought one of them after a plumbing leak, it literally sucks the moisture out of everything. I'd probably take apart what I could after running the dehumidifier for a couple of days, preferably in an enclosed room with the tools well exposed on all sides, and spray everything down with wd-40 (the wd is for water displacement).
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I have been through several floods where my elec tools were flooded, and none were lost. I purchased a case of WD40 and hosed everything down, inside and out. Resist the temptation to plug it in and see if it will work, because it may flame up. Allow to air dry and give it a good cleaning later when you more time. Drill bits, router bits, saw blades, etc. just hose down with WD 40 also and wrap in paper towels or rags and clean up soon. ***insurance**** A note on insurance claims. Ive found that a claim for replacement starts the deductable debate, and gets your feelings hurt when you see what they want to give you for your stuff, but a claim for repair for the same device usually returns you about the replacement cost. Keep good records. *** also*** Do not throw away your gasoline equip like weed eaters, chain saws, lawn mowers etc. After they are washed out with WD 40, some gasoline and oiled and dried they run better than before! Hydraulic jacks must be drained quickly and flushed with solvent to absorb the water and re-oiled quickly.

Good luck
          Capncarl

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

You might try drying things out in an oven set to 110 or 1120 degrees. It'll lower the relative humidity inside the oven and help dry things out faster.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by jackellis
              You might try drying things out in an oven set to 110 or 1120 degrees. It'll lower the relative humidity inside the oven and help dry things out faster.
              Your over heats to 1120 degrees? Should take about 47 seconds to cook a Thanksgiving turkey!
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Pappy
                Your over heats to 1120 degrees? Should take about 47 seconds to cook a Thanksgiving turkey!
                This here's a ruthless forum - no quarters given, no mercy shown ! And eagle-eyed, to boot!
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

You can pre-dry most anything that has an open chassis by letting a fan blow on it for a while, and then closing it up suspended in a plastic tub with DampRid crystals in the bottom. Then, after sufficient time, use WD40 to displace any remaining water and lubricate. Only then should you fire anything up. A slight burned odor is normal as the WD40 cooks, but any heavy smoking or noises that don't sound normal are reason enough to add the item to the insurance claim.

Comment

• John Hunter
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                    • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by jwd12
                    I had 6' 9" of water in my basement shop this past weekend. Most everything was stored below this height. Drills, routers, sharpeners, etc. were submerged. Any hope for them? Fortunately the BT3100 was moved to the garage.
                    Sorry to hear you got so much water, I am in Lake Station and got a little about 1/2 inch in the basement but nothing like you did. This is the worse flooding in this area I have seen in 50 years.
                    John Hunter

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

I didn't think Dyer got hit that hard. Munster really got it pretty bad. We're in Calumet Township, and we just got a trickle in the basement. Our garage flooded, but the house was OK.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Not sure what a basement is. I think it is another name for an indoor swimming pool right?

Okay so we don't have them here. Being so close to sea level, and the water table, they would fill with water no matter what you did, and if you could seal them from getting water from the sides, the hurricanes would make sure they would fill up...

On the wet tools thing. You might call the tool MFG and ask what they recommend in that situation. I am pretty sure this is not terribly uncommon...

I know lots of guys who have gotten their tools soaked. I submerged an old Craftsman drill about 10 years ago by dropping it in a deep puddle running from my truck to the garage... I dried it out with compressed air, had a fan blow over it for at least a day, and then fired it up. No worse for the wear. I still have and regularly use that drill...

Same thing with my blender. (LONG story).

I wouldn't be so worried about the electrical once it dries out. I would worry WAY more about the bearings...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• shoottx
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2008
                          • Plano, Texas
                          • BT3000

CorrosionX is One of the best rust removers and rust inhibitors I have ever found. Over the last many years I have used virtually every type of oil, lubricant or rust inhibitor on my shotguns. The only thing that I have found that both lifts rust and leaves a protective lay on metal is this product. Originally developed for airplanes it works well on steel as it does on aluminum.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

And I wish I got paid for the referrals but I don't.
                          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• jwd12
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2005
                            • Dyer, In..
                            • BT3100

Thanks for your suggestions. Yesterday we moved everything from the basement to the driveway. Almost a total loss of "junk" collected though years of saving. Tools are a another matter. Will begin the drying process later today. 3 of 4 routers were in the garage, the Milwaukee dill and my old craftsman router were underwater (now drying). The reciprocating saw was also in the garage and was used to cut in half or thirds water logged furniture. Anything made from MDF was warped beyond repair. Need new benches, cabinets and have a chance to rethink these items. My walnut and maple were stored in overhead racks and may warp from the humidity but seems good for now. All of my clamps were "clamped" to this storage rack. My first thought looking at the mess, that was formerly my shop, was that it is possible to have too many clamps. Back to work. Thanks for listening.
                            I am praying for patience but extremely upset that it takes so long.

Comment

• shoottx
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2008
                              • Plano, Texas
                              • BT3000

[QUOTE=jwd12;368564] My first thought looking at the mess, that was formerly my shop, was that it is possible to have too many clamps. QUOTE]

I know you are under a lot of stress, who wouldn't be, but I believe the above statement borders on blasphemy!

At you next break, you can say three jorgensons, two besseys, one quick grip and one assorted clamp and you will be forgiven!
                              Last edited by shoottx; 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the witty saying
                              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

Working...