• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Prayers for those of you in Texas & Ike's path

Sitting here somewhat dry in NY, we want you to know you're in our hearts and prayers.

Hopefully you'll miss the worst of the storm, and maybe it will curve off and stay in the Gulf.

Just want you to know we're thinking about you.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I spoke with my family a while ago and the worst of the storm is past and the remnants are headed north, well past houston although they are still getting mild wind and rain from its trailing edge.

On the west side of town, they got torrential rain and strong winds that broke a lot of tree branches. The power went out early... not long after Ike made landfall and well before teh eye passed Houston. The word is that 90% of houston area customers (some 4.5 million people) are without power and it might take 2 to four weeks to restore to all.

So this is a recap of what I'm hearing:
    The eye passed just to the left of Galveston and to the right of houston which is 60 miles north of Galveston.
    The worst brunt was taken by galveston island with storm surge of 14, 17 and 20 feet (depending upon which end of the island you were on) which basically overwhelmed the west end of the island (mostly dunes and some beach homes) and the east end where the city, seawall, businesses, hotels etc. are with 20 feet surge + tides overtopping the 12-15 ft. seawall put up after the 1900 storm. An estimated 20,000 people failed to evacuate despite city orders. Water may have been 5-10 feet in downtown galveston. There may have been a lot of as yet unreported deaths in Galveston.
    At 9PM Sat, some 5 hours before the eye of the storm hit Galveston, there were over calls to Galv 911 requesting emergency help, basically they were told rescue crews could not get out at all.

There was also a comparable surge on east of Galveston and the Houston ship channel openeing, on the Bolivar peninsula. this low lying area was completely washed over, fortunately it has always been low and the coast behind it is very sparsely populated.

These is also reputedly a lot of wind damage in downtown Houston and probably areas a few miles to the east of the immediate downtown area.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-13-2008, 02:30 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
      Sitting here somewhat dry in NY, we want you to know you're in our hearts and prayers.

Hopefully you'll miss the worst of the storm, and maybe it will curve off and stay in the Gulf.

Just want you to know we're thinking about you.

Bruce
      That was a nice post, Bruce. Our prayers are with them too.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Ed62
        That was a nice post, Bruce. Our prayers are with them too.

Ed
        Yea, I'll ditto that Bruce. Good on ya, sir. Prayers up for coastal Texas.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those on the coast. Looks like Galveston and South Houston and suburbs took the brunt.

Here is a great storm tracking site. http://www.stormpulse.com/fullscreen/current
          Ike is about 100 miles east of the DFW area. We are getting light rain and some high winds. Storm is starting to peter out.
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• goslin23
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Richmond, TX
            • Rigid TS3650

My family and house made it through just fine. We are 20 miles west of Houston near Katy. lot's of rain and wind. The only thing that happened was the rain guage fell off the fence. We lost power for a total of 3 minutes, power is on internet is up and my Buckeyes are getting slaughtered by USC.

The folks in other parts of town weren't so lucky and my thoughts and prayers are with them. I'm not sure that I'll be able to go back to work Monday, but we'll see.
            If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

dbhost lives in League City. Although he did the smart thing and got the heck outta there, I have seen many pictures from League City today that show major flooding. I hope his place was spared.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

Ike

I hope and pray for the best for you in and around Galveston and Houston. Heck, we are even getting hit with Ike's remnants in Kansas! It has been raining all day and between 10 pm and 6 am Sunday, we are supposed to get an additional 3 to 6" of rain. With this much rain in Kansas from Ike, I cannot imagine what happened in Texas.

Bill
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Hopefully all the members from the coast will be able to check in over the next few days. Some of the hardest hit areas may be without power for 2-3 weeks.

The forecast for the Austin area started out as 50-60 mph winds and an 80% chance of heavy rains. Mid-morning Satuday it was down to 25 mph and 20%. By the afternoon we had sunshine, a light wind, and temps around 100. Did get some light rain last night but I haven't checked the gauge yet.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I am still evacuated. I have no idea if I still have a house... My home was very close to Kemah TX on the far east side of League City. I have reason to believe I may not have a home to go back to... I sure wish somebody woud go look for me...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• codaman33
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Houston, TX, USA.

I'll go check.

I will go check for you if I can get over there. I live in Clear Lake, and luckily, I have sustained no damage. I have already been down on my knees saying my thanks, but if there is something that I can do for you, please let me know. That isn't too far away if I can get in. To read my saga, check the post in what did you do this weekend section? Thank God it is over, and good luck to all who are going to try and come back. We have a lot of clean up, both big and little, ahead of us.

Comment

• Kristofor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I can easily imagine the Kemah and Clear Lake folks getting wet. We have an office in Webster and I have been staying at the Hilton by NASA when I go down there. There were lots of pics on the CNN website from/of that hotel and the nearby area. I hope for the best for you DBhost.

One good piece of news was that the surge was apparently like 10' lower than they were forecasting. If it would have been 10' higher it seems like it would have had an even more widespread impact, and you might not have been quite so lucky Codaman..

Comment

• codaman33
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Houston, TX, USA.

pics of my house

here are a few pictures of what used to be my fence and neighbors tree

Comment

• codaman33
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Houston, TX, USA.

that didn't work

Let's try this again.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• codaman33
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Houston, TX, USA.

side fence shots

here are pictures take from my house. These are the side shots.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...