No great shakes of wisdom but the favorite of my girl friend is:

When life hands you lemons ....... Make margaritas

Comment

• gettools
      Established Member
      • Sep 2006
      • Fort Worth, Texas
      • BT3100

If you live for others it will matter to others that you lived !!
      Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Your lack of understanding does not make it untrue.

What many of us thought when sitting in meetings with a former manager.

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

If it can’t be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion.
            R.A. Heinlein
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Sid
              Established Member
              • Apr 2004
              • Bloomington, IL, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

This is posted on my shop door:

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot; has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use Tools, can devise Tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him; he kneads glowing iron, as if it were soft paste; seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without Tools. Without Tools he is nothing, with Tools he is all."

Thomas Carlyle (slightly condensed)

Sid

Comment

• Eagan
                Established Member
                • Feb 2006
                • bloomington, IN
                • rigid r4512

"For we have met the enemy, and he is us"
                Walt Kelly

"We all agree that your theory is crazy, but is it crazy enough?"
                Niels Bohr

"It's not Denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept"
                Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes

"Bad is never good until worse happens"
                Danish proverb

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
                You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
                You're on your own. And you know what you know.
                And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go"
                Dr. Suess, "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

I like Will Rogers, they still apply even though he died 73 years ago"

"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

"I'm not a real movie star. I've still got the same wife I started out with twenty-eight years ago."

"Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators."

"The only time people dislike gossip is when you gossip about them."
                  Last edited by Tom Slick; 08-15-2008, 12:33 PM. Reason: duplication
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• germdoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Omaha, NE
                    • BT3000--the gray ghost

A few quotes from my favorite of all time, HL Mencken:

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.

All [zoos] actually offer to the public in return for the taxes spent upon them is a form of idle and witless amusement, compared to which a visit to a penitentiary, or even to a State legislature in session, is informing, stimulating and ennobling.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

For it is mutual trust, even more than mutual interest that holds human associations together. Our friends seldom profit us but they make us feel safe... Marriage is a scheme to accomplish exactly that same end.

Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards or golf.

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

Nature abhors a moron.

Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who would want to live in an institution?
                    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

"It is easy to be brave from a safe distance." - AESOP

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Mitch Ratcliffe, Technology Review, April, 1992
                        Chr's

Comment

• Hoover
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • USA.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. (Attributed to Sun Tzu)

I refused to attend his funeral. But I wrote a very nice letter explaining that I approved.
                          (Mark Twain)
                          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. -- Abraham Lincoln

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice. -- Bill Cosby

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. -- Elbert Hubbard

If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? -- Will Rogers

Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything. -- Frank Dane

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. -- Martin Luther King Jr.

To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered. -- Voltaire

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions? -- Scott Adams

Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it. -- Thomas Jefferson
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Ed62
                              The Full Monte
                              • Oct 2006
                              • NW Indiana
                              • BT3K

"I Really Didn't Say Everything I Said" (used as a title of a book) - Yogi Berra
                              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• gerti
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2003
                                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

"As I experience certain sensory input patterns my mental pathways become accustomed to them. The inputs eventually are anticipated and even missed when absent." Lt. Data

Comment

Working...