X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mrs. Wallnut
    Bandsaw Box Momma
    • Apr 2005
    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I just got to thinking about something, and mind you I have been up all night working, but what if someone got a tattoo and they are about 20 and the art work is that of a chubby mermaid or merman. If they got it somewhere that as they got older and a little heavier and things started drooping, would that eventually make the tattoo into a beautiful sexy looking with time.

Sorry I don't mean to steal this but I was thinking about that as I was reading the other responses.
    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• RAFlorida
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
      • Ryobi BT3000

Mrs.Walnut asked,

"...WHAT THE HECK IN AN INDUSTRIAL?". Me ask too. Maybe it's a motor mount bolt, or sawzaw blade, or something more practical? Hate to be stupid, but I had no idea there were such things.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
        What's next!!! Everything has been pretty much used to draw attention. Maybe this is what's next. We should show this to Bruce.

http://www.ezakwantu.com/Lip%20Plugs.jpg
        Uh, I think that person works behind the counter at Freebirds!

In all seriousness, the body modification trend is kind of a scary offshoot of a variety of subculture fashion and music trends popular among the youth of the day.

For example the 1950s has the blue jeans, button down shirts, wing tip shoes, and lettermans jackets of the rock & roll crowd. The 1960s had the tie dye, ratty jeans, birkenstocks, etc... of the hippies. Fast forward to the 1980s that had the heavy metal jeans, studded leather, long hair, and earrings of the Heavy Metal crowd. Each generation / decade seems to push the envelope a little further and further... Unfortunately with body modification, what many of these kids don't seem to realize is that when they finally get through school, and have to earn their own living, it is going to be just that much harder to get a job when you are tatooed and pierced up like a Circus freak show...
        Last edited by dbhost; 07-16-2008, 10:15 AM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Talking about tattoos made me think of a patriotic man I worked with in the late '60s in the summer times. He was drunk when he got his tattoo and his friend who did the tattoo was drunk also. His tattoo: U A S
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cabinetman
            Just curious...why did you do that?
            I never really thought about why, I just liked it. At that time it was probably a rebellion thing, not every guy had a pierced ear. But it's not like I thought "I'll go get me an earring so I could piss some folks off". It wasn't a set out plan of action, seems like it just happened.

The earring wasn't as bad as the bleached spots I did at that time though. I used to wear some really strange earrings, but for the last 20 years it's always been a small 1/2" dia 1/16" thick gold hoop. I still wear my hair pretty long, but it is usually neat and slicked back in a ponytail.

Now the earring and hair is just something I feel comfortable with, it’s been the same for over a decade and a half. (Except for the grey and the taller forehead.) Normal look and down on special occasions It just doesn’t feel right without my hoop now, I’m sure I’d feel absolutely naked if I cut my hair off.
            Erik

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

Okay and to ask another stupid question WHAT THE HECK IN AN INDUSTRIAL? Is that one of those earrings that puts a hole in your ear?
              I had too look it up
              It is the piercing at the top of the ear with a bar connecting two holes
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

Even though it's not for me, I actually think a guy can look very presentable wearing an earring, if it's small enough. Case in point, Michael Jordan. He wears a small earring, but he's a very sharp dresser, and he looks classy.

Tattoos? I won't have one, but it doesn't bother me to see others wearing them. But everything in moderation. Too much is too much, [B]especially[/B] on a female.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Pizza Anyone??

Hey Cab,
                  What's with the crack using a guy who has a pepperoni pizza for a top lip. What I DO find in bad taste is the piece of $hit AK he's holding. Somehow one would expect something like that.

As Always,

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I see the current trend of tattoos and earrings as ironic. Once they stood for rebellion. Now it's just the opposite--it's "cool" and "hip" to do it.

The thing I find funny is, when I was 18-22, I was so sure of what was meaningful and important. I know now how stupid I was, and I would hate to have any reminder of that permanently etched on me anywhere--maybe that's why kids today all put it in Chinese .
                    Joe

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      I've still got a little gold hoop in my earlobe that I put there in high school ('85). Had to do it myself because the jewlry store in the mall wouldn't do it without my folks there since I was under 18.

I never have really liked tattoos.
                      Boy your story sure sounds familiar!

Mine was done with a swiped bottle of tequila, some rubbing alcohol, an ice cube, and a safety pin!

I stopped wearing mine in 1997. I think the most embarassed I have EVER been was when my niece noticed the hole.

As to why, it was part of teen rebellion. By the time I got into my late 20s I was trying to look presentable for a professional job, so the earring, the long hair, the leather jacket, the combat boots that whole thing left...

There was DEFINATELY a fashion and subculture thing, just like the hippies, and the goths, the earrings really took off with the Heavy Metal subculture of the 80's and 90's. This took a LOT of influence from a variety of sources, not the least of which was the Biker scene, Germanic imagery, and even the BDSM crowd...

A trip through that memory lane would have a fairly typical headbanger dressed up in..

Black Leather classic motorcycle riders jacket. The more worn the better... I still have mine..

Combat Boots...

Woodland Cammo BDUs. (Surplus stores used to have mounds of these!)

Black Concert T-shirt of your favorite Heavy Metal band...

And just about any sort of jewelry sporting any image of celtic crosses, skulls, razor blades, bats, or anything of the sort....

I'd show a shot of the metal era hair I had back in the day, but those are pics I have long ago lost... But look up Brett Michaels with Poison circa 1989 and you'll get an idea prior to 1997...

This is DEFINATELY a youth subculture thing, but so much like the hippies of the 60s, much of the subculture gets wrapped up into the mainstream.

I could probably walk by a modern day headbanger, and only think wistfully back to the years of my youth. I would probably not notice anything odd about that...

I know I am going to have a BIG problem with credibility when I tell my kids not to get piercings and tattoos...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dale
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Mesa, AZ, USA.
                        • BTS-15

The Ear-Lobe Stretchy Ones

Whenever I see a guy with one of the ones that stretches the ear lobe and has a hole in the middle, I always want to poke a pencil through the hole.
                        I really am going to make something one of these days.

Comment

Working...