• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Men And Earrings

Jerry S. would say "Not that there is anything wrong with that". Any preference or opinions about men wearing earrings?
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

I don't object, but in my case it would be like painting a mud house - what's the point?
    - Chris.

Comment

• germdoc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Omaha, NE
      • BT3000--the gray ghost

I don't think the pirate look fits me very well.

Or the Elton John look.
      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• jonmulzer
        • Dec 2007
        • Indianapolis, IN

What about Industrials or Labret piercings?
        "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I was a child of the 1980's hair bands, and guys with earrings. To my world experience, it's normal. Just like to todays kids tattoos are normal. Kind of scary to think of what's next...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I'm not a fan of earrings on men and random body piercings on anyone but it's not my body so it's not my business. Body art does strange things to my brain that I cannot explain.

My sister-in-law and niece have several extra piercings in their ears. Another niece has a tongue ring. Two of my nephews have small tattoos. I don't ask why and I try not to pay too much attention.

Then there's my wife, who can't have her ears pierced but loves to wear earrings.

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

Seeing earrings on men doesn't really bother me that much unless they're like big glittery hoops or something else that's overtly feminine -- or I should say something that doesn't really go with the rest of the way the guy is dressed or his age. E.g. a guy dressed as my culture would expect a guy to dress for his age, but wearing big hoop earrings -- that would have me wondering, "what's with that?" But I guess even that doesn't really bother me too much -- maybe just a little uncomfortable or confusing to look at.

...but if the guy were dressed in drag, I'd expect the earrings to match the outfit and I'd probably think it a bit odd if they didn't.

I guess some earrings have made it into the cultural norm for guys... I've never really given it much thought until now. I must have somehow picked up some intuitive sense of what types of earrings are "normal" for guys and what aren't... but there's no way I could look a lot of earrings and make a judgment on whether or not they're appropriate for a guy...

interesting question...

At the end of the day, though, it's their body, and if I don't like to look at it, then I just turn away.
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                ...but if the guy were dressed in drag, I'd expect the earrings to match the outfit and I'd probably think it a bit odd if they didn't.
                LMAO!! Alex, you are putting WAY too much thought into a fairly mindless topic. (not disrespecting the poster, or this topic, but let's face it this is not like one of the physics topics, lol)
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

men and earrings

Earrings, piercings, tattoos and the like ......not for me and never will be either! I find most of that junk is offensive in most ways. Years ago in 60's
                  only sailors came home after a long voyage at sea wearing a tatto(s).
                  Most other people didn't have or care for them.

I don't think that grown men need to wear earrings.....come on now ? where
                  are the so called pirates they are trying to look like huh? No surfers this far inland from the beach around here either. A stupid fad that is still hangin' around to this day and time.
                  When I was in high school in the 60's, if a guy had an earring in one ear,
                  to most people it was considered that was his way of announcing to everyone else that he was "gay"...but we didn't call them " gays" back then.

Never saw anyone with two (2) earrings back then except women!
                  eezlock

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

None of that stuff for me either. Body disfigurement is a barbaric practice IMHO. I'm so strong in my opinions about this that I refuse to allow my daughter to have her ears pierced until after she turns 18.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Back in '70s, a younger neighborhood friend was talking about getting his ear's pierced for an earring. Another neighbor said: "I thought you were talking about joining the marines?" The young fellow said "Yes." - to which the other neighbor said, "If you get your ear pierced, you better hope it heals BEFORE you join the marines. AND I certainly wouldn't go sign up with one in my ear."
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Gator95
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Atlanta GA
                        • Ridgid 3660

um... no. really don't care if a direct report shows up with one or with any other odditities as long as they can do the job.

I do expect that any decoration be tastefully coordinated with their interview outfit. If some guy showed up with a blue suit and garnet earrings <<shudder>> he gets a big black mark.

Comment

• Rand
                          Established Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Cman, if you want an earring just get one.
                          Rand
                          "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

I've got my ear pierced and a tattoo, want to make something of it

Bruce
                            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• p8ntblr
                              • Jan 2007
                              • So Cal
                              • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by dbhost
                              Kind of scary to think of what's next...
                              That would be piercings again. Just not the ears
                              -Paul

Comment

Working...