• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

I am also an avid reader. I usually have 2 or 3 books going at once. One in each car, and one by the bed. I have 3 going now. One is a Clive Cussler. When I was in school, I inhaled science fiction books. Heinlen, Norton, EE Doc Smith, etc. I can't find much in Sci-Fi that I like anymore. Too much fantasy or occult in what I find. Adventure books and murder mysteries are my usual fare now, but I do like historical novels and prehistoric such as Aurel's series. I burned out on Grisham. I haven't liked much he has written since "The Client."

Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

I usually have two books going at any time, sometimes three. One is invariably something light, a mystery or western and the odd historical novel now and then. The other usually history or a biography. This has been my routine for close to fifty years. The genres rarely change.
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

I usually read hardcover books when on vacation,and I listen to audio books on my commute.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

LOML reads about 2 a week, so I get her hand-me-downs. If I average 1 a month that would be a lot. I do get about 6 magazines/month. I like non-fiction books, woodworking, military history and biographies, firearms and martial arts.

Comment

• rnelson0
            Established Member
            • Feb 2008
            • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
            • Firestorm FS2500TS

I've finished more than 10 this year already. More if you consider that some of them are omnibus books containing 3+ novels and a number of short stories. I do a fair mix of non-fiction in with my fiction (why don't we call them "fact" books?) - I am reading Beowulf and have the Iliad, The Odyssey, and some historical books on Rome in the queue. I've never read Homer's stuff before so I'm looking forward to it, but it's fairly tough to chew on.

In fiction, I have 6 books on the shelf waiting for me to read and at least three books I'm aware of that will hit the printing press before the end of the year. I'm sure I'll find others between now and then too.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I average two a week, LOML is rarely seen without a book in her hand and reads while doing everything else with one hand.
              Chr's

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

I probably average one a week, fiction, biography, other non-fiction and just about anything else. Between LOML and myself we've got eight bookshelves full including a couple that are double-stacked with paperbacks. That doesn't count books from the library.

To cut down on physical storage, I've started to order books electronically from Baen ( baen.com ). They offer a web subscription service where you can get a set of books (four or five, SF/fantasy) in several file formats each month. Not really a subscription service since you order, or not, when you feel like it. They also have a fairly large library of free downloads. I like it because it has given me a chance to try out new authors, something I might not do otherwise.
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Anna
                  • Feb 2006
                  • CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by BobSch
                  To cut down on physical storage, I've started to order books electronically from Baen ( baen.com ). They offer a web subscription service where you can get a set of books (four or five, SF/fantasy) in several file formats each month. Not really a subscription service since you order, or not, when you feel like it. They also have a fairly large library of free downloads. I like it because it has given me a chance to try out new authors, something I might not do otherwise.
                  Thanks for that website, Bob. I love free books.

Which reminds me, Tor gives out free PDF files of a book each week. I've signed up and have received about 5 e-books already, all sci-fi. I just need a really good e-book reader now.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Whole books, cover to cover, straight, rarely now. Between time constraints, the type of books I generally read (technical manuals, computer stuff, that puts people to sleep), it has been a LONG time.

I have several that I would like to read (I used to have a list), just trying to find 1. The time and 2. Find them cheap (not as many good used book stores anymore), things like 1776.
                    As for fiction, I don't pick up enough to find any that interest me. The last one I did was The DaVinci code and I read it in less then 24 hours. Good book. They changed enough of it that I disliked the movie. (movies are another subject, I stopped going in 87 due to Ishtar, seen 10 since and no great ones)
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I have started a new one about Amazon's "Kindle". Come on over and tell us what you think...

Comment

• rnelson0
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                        • Firestorm FS2500TS

I should add that I read enough books that "Build some bookshelves" is high on my projects list. I am of the opinion that you can never have too many bookshelves.

Comment

• BobSch
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by Anna
                          Which reminds me, Tor gives out free PDF files of a book each week. I've signed up and have received about 5 e-books already, all sci-fi. I just need a really good e-book reader now.
                          Thanks for the heads-up about Tor. I just signed up.
                          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• mmcduffie
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Des Moines, Washington.
                            • BT3000

It's closer to 200 a year, see my post in the Kindle thread.

Michael

Comment

• mmcduffie
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Des Moines, Washington.
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by BobSch
                              Thanks for the heads-up about Tor. I just signed up.
                              Would you mind posting the email address that the link comes from? I don't mean the whole link, just enough that I can white list it. I signed up but my filter is a bit strong and I might miss it.

Thanks,
                              Michael

Comment

• dlminehart
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jul 2003
                                • San Jose, CA, USA.

Boy, what a literate forum we have! 84% of us read 4 or more books a year, compared with 69% of the population at large. Only 5% of us read no books, compared to 9% of the nation as a whole. Perhaps most telling is that 65% read more than 10 books, compared to a national average of only 37% (29% if only men are considered, and our group is predominantly male). No wonder the discussions here are uncommonly informed and informative!
                                - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...