• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Books read per year?

I've heard some statistics lately about readership in America, and wondered how this group compares with the population as a whole. A recent Harris Poll ( see http://www.harrisinteractive.com/har...ex.asp?PID=891 ) found the following:

A couple things that jump out for me: (1) almost a third of American adults read less than 4 books per year; (2) Republicrats have similar reading habits, while Independents read significantly more; (3) women read significantly more than men, with the extra probably involving mysteries and romances; (4) seniors (63+ years old) read significantly more than those younger, who all have pretty similar reading habits; (5) elsewhere on the page, seniors report having more time to read, perhaps due to retirement, which accounts for at least some of their extra reading.

About how many books do you estimate you read per year?
    None
    4.85%
    1-3
    10.68%
    4-6
    11.65%
    7-10
    8.74%
    More than 10
    64.08%
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Used to be I'd read way more than 10. Now I read about that in a good year. No time now to really read. After the kids are in bed I do all the things I couldn't do while they were awake.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Actual books read cover to cover....few to none in successive sittings, but I flip through articles in many woodworking books and mags.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• mschrank
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2004
        • Hood River, OR, USA.
        • BT3000

WAY more than 10 a year. I read three just last night:
        • Horton Hatches an Egg by Dr. Suess
        • Silly Pig Has an Idea
        • Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Now, if you didn't mean children's books read to a couple of sleepy toddlers at bedtime, then I probably only read about 1-2 a year. Before wife and kids, that number was probably closer to 8/yr.
        Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

I am also way more than 10. I travel quite a lot and airplane time gets through a lot of pages. I can sometimes do 2 per trip.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• DUD
            Royal Jester
            • Dec 2002
            • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Me or LOML read at least one at night, and I read a book a week at least. We have

gotten Our oldest GrandDaughter to love to read, it has been good for Her and Us. Bill
            5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

When I was younger I'd read a book about every two days, on average. I'd lay in bed at night, occasionally glancing at the clock and thinking, "It's almost two a.m., I have GOT to turn off the light and get some sleep!" Nowadays when I get horizontal, I'm usually good for about twenty or thirty pages before I'm off to the Land Of Nod.

I still probably read about 25-30 books a year, though -- mostly series mysteries (Grafton, Parker, Estleman, etc.), historical naval fiction (O'Brian, Kent, etc) and travel essays (Bryson, Theroux, etc). This is in addition to the time I spend reading magazines and leafing through woodworking books.
              Larry

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

A couple years back, before I moved up in my company, I worked at the call center. On slow days, or during the weekends, I was able to read a ton. During the two years at the call center I read way more than 10 books a year, which was probably more that I've read in total in my life previous to that. Now that I have my new positions, I can't read at work. And with WWing and my house, I don't have time....

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

4-6, but that is all non-fiction, typically biographical works.

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

I'm guessing 5 - 6 books per year. Not a big reader like LOML.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • On the TARDIS
                      • BT 3100

Both LOML and I read loads of books each year. I get called the librarian at work because I usually read during lunch and breaks.

Our idea of a good camping trip is taking a few books each and relaxing around the camp site while the kids are off playing. We get our books from a local charity shop that only charges 10 cents/paperback.
                      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• TB Roye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

I read 3-5 books a year. I read more magazine articles on book on my various hobbies. LOML reads a book a week. I need to have real good light to read otherwise these old eyes don't like me. I can't sit for hours and read like I used to but I love to read so it is in shorter time frames. Not really into fiction but like non fiction. On trips by car to Idaho from Sacramento, 8hrs. We listen to books on tape or Cd and there have be times where we have stopped to listent to the end of the book before we got to Son and DIL' house in Boise.

Tom

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Have an enormous specialty book collection considered by many to be the most complete of its kind in the world, and I've read every one of them. Now I get them before they even go to the publisher. Represents a huge investment in time, but worth every minute.

Comment

• Kristofor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2004
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I figure I've hit the 1,000,000 page mark in the last couple years right around the time I turned 30.

I would guess for the last 20ish years I've read 100-130 books per year. SciFi, Fantasy, Horror, Mystery, Political Thriller, and non-fiction in roughly that order of frequency.

That said, my first child is about 4 months old now and I can already feel the pace slacking... No more reading until 4AM on work nights to finish a great book since I know he won't let me take a nap or hit the hay early the next day.

Kristofor.

Comment

• MilDoc

I answered, more than 10. I actually average about 40 a year. All kinds, from "thrillers," to sci fi, to "real books," especially about history.

Comment

Working...