X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mnmphd
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

I would say I average 1 book per year of the fiction variety.

That said I read MANY papers from engineering journals. Finding time to read
    through a whole book seems to get more difficult as work and home projects
    occupy 80% of my time.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Not counting woodworking books or software books, I usually read approx. 1 fiction/non-fiction book a week. And yes, I spend a lot of time in the bathroom.

Bruce
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• KenBurris
        Established Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

lots more

My record in 2005 while "working" 11 PM - 7 AM as basically a babysitter for computer problems, was 5 books in 5 work days - granted, 3 were Spensers (Robert B. Parker). I could read a Spenser in 2.5 hours back them. Now i read 4 - 5 a week , still occasionally stay up until 4 AM to finish one. Library run at least weekly. 99% mystery/thriller, some hard SF(hard to find anymore) Haven't opened a non-fiction book since college(not much then ) If you like to keep track of what you have/want to read (my library lets me order to my local branch for pickup) I recommend
        stopyourekillingme.com - for mysteries - you can search by author, protagonist's occupation or location, etc.) ,
        or http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/ - all kinds of fiction
        Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

What's a book???? Somebody give me a link and I'll go read one!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Count me as another whose voracious reading habit is on hold while I encourage the same habit in 3 little ones. Of course, one of the best ways to do that is to show your kids that you read books yourself, as well as reading to them. My parents are big readers, and that's where I got the bug.

I will very proudly say, the last book I read was "I Need to Go to the Bathroom" by Bailey (my 6 yo old son). He sat down the other day and wrote the whole thing out, and glued the edges together to bind it.
            Joe

Comment

• sparkeyjames
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Redford MI.
              • Craftsman 21829

I can easily read more than 10 in a month. Mostly SCI/FI some fantasy. Read tech books like programming in C or perl to fall asleep to.
              Last edited by sparkeyjames; 04-28-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Redford MI.
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                Have an enormous specialty book collection considered by many to be the most complete of its kind in the world, and I've read every one of them. Now I get them before they even go to the publisher. Represents a huge investment in time, but worth every minute.
                So you own all the Cat in the Hat books too?

Comment

• OpaDC
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • Pensacola, FL
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Have always been an avid reader. Read most anything except romance novels. (This included cereal boxes ). Fan of alternative history when done well, which is rare. Ruled Britannia by Harry Turtledove was fun. And I love how Clive Cussler sneaks himself into his stories.
                  I can thank my parents for my reading habits. Spent so much time on restriction I had to do something. Even used to read encyclopedia. Still addicted to looking things up and it's soooo much easier to google than grab the Britannica. Major problem is I tend to buy new, prevents me from getting repeats. Good thing about that is USO at airport recently got couple hundred books (paperback). (good place to donate books)
                  Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  Have an enormous specialty book collection considered by many to be the most complete of its kind in the world, and I've read every one of them. Now I get them before they even go to the publisher. Represents a huge investment in time, but worth every minute.
                  Curious what kind of specialty books. Old, new, borrowed, blue? Just call me nosy.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I don't remember the last time I read a book cover to cover. It's sad, really.
                    When I was a kid I would go to the library and check out tons of science
                    books, but those were more like cookbooks where I could pick and choose what
                    interested me most. That is probably why I read a lot of magazines and have
                    a lot of subscriptions. I always considered myself somewhat of an intellectual
                    but the book department is definitely where I fall short.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by OpaDC
                      Curious what kind of specialty books. Old, new, borrowed, blue? Just call me nosy.
                      Japanese martial arts...

Comment

• Bigbit
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Southern California
                        • BT3100-1

I only read about 1 or 2 books per year. The reason: I have to read about 20 - 30 trade magazines and journals per month as part of my job. Just don't feel like reading much else with that on my plate.

Comment

• cwithboat
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                          • Craftsman Pro 21829

I read two to three hours each day. We have a great used book store in our town, I treat it as my library. All my books have been turned into the store , except for reference books. Once or twice a week I stop in and drop off books and grab new ones. Occasionally, I will buy a hot current book from Amazon (see Book Review;The Great Warming). I probably finish over a hundred books a year, I guess I give up on an equal number as not worth the trouble.
                          regards,
                          Charlie
                          A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                          Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• drumpriest
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                            • Powermatic PM 2000

For me it really depends upon the year, and my state of work. We are super crunched on a project right now, and I have not read much at all in months, only 2 books in 3 months. I put 7-10 as that's my pace for this year. Last year it was in the 20s, and usually is, but not this year with the new baby and the project shipping in weeks....
                            Keith Z. Leonard
                            Go Steelers!

Comment

• Anna
                              • Feb 2006
                              • CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

Do graphic novels count?

Even without graphic novels (okay, comic books, but that's just a technicality), I read more than 10 books a year. I get into author binges, where I pick an author and read all the books he/she wrote until I get tired of him/her.

So far this year, I think I've already read about 18 books, mostly SF/fantasy. Next in line, though, is John Adams by McCullough. It's supposed to be a very good book.

Comment

• Popeye
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2003
                                • Woodbine, Ga
                                • Grizzly 1023SL

When I was an over the road driver I listened to probably 5-6 a week and read another regular book while sitting at customers. Now that I'm home everyday that's dropped to approx. 1 per year. At home it seems if I'm not doing something active I feel lazy. I watch very little tv for the same reason. Pat
                                Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

Working...