• Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

An Oz (WW) dream come true!

OK - this may be a big yawn for you guys, but...

About 30 years ago, when I started reading the US WW magazines, I discovered that MAPLE was a widely used in the US. The pics and articles made me green with envy! I liked the color of it and the hardwood properties - I DO NOT ONLY WORK WITH MDF! It was also obvious that you guys had easy access to it and used it like we use Victorian Ash or Tasmanian Oak (boring!) If we go to a lumber yard, that's the ONLY stuff available

THEN - a friend of mine said he had discovered a place that specialized in "exotic" timbers and sure enough - US Maple was available - for a price

I decided to "bite the bullet" and get some. I decided to start with 2"x1" - dressed to 1-3/4" x 3/4". The lumber yard guy said I could get 12 x 3' lengths from a "standard" rough cut length they had in stock. Wait for it - - worked out about US$10 a piece - BUT...

WOW - what beautiful stuff to work with

1. Hard as **** but very light weight.
    2. Beautiful, very close grained - almost white compared to pine. Wipe-on poly makes it gleam
    3. Very clean to machine - cross or rip cuts from my WWII blade are like glass
    4. Any kind of router bit seems to love it.
    5. Saw/router/drill "dust" is very tiny "curls" - rather than "chewed out" bits.
    6. I suspect Maple would NOT like dull tools!

Anyway - I LOVE MAPLE I just wish it was readily available (read cheaper) in Oz
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Rod

It is easily available in some parts of the U S A, but not all. I can get it here, but not as

readily as pine, walnut or pecan. However it is not as high here, You are right about that.

Bill
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Maple is a fun wood to work with. 10 bucks for a 12"x3' piece? Isn't that 3 board feet? Then 3$ a board foot seems reasonable. Around here I can get it for ~4$ a board foot. As Bill said though - even in the US wood somewhat regional and prices will vary.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Maple is nice wood. A bit prone to burning if you are not careful. BUt a dream to look at and work with otherwise.
        Glad you are happy, Rod.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

Like all guitar aficionados I LOVE maple. My main axe has curly maple sides and back. Love it! I also like to make furniture using maple contrasted with walnut.

I saw an Aussie movie last night--"Romper Stomper"--one of Russell Crowe's first movies. Very intense, very good flick. But the Aussie brogue was so pronounced I had to put the subtitles on to understand it. Just curious--do you still have skinheads over there?
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

Maple is great wood to work with. it's hard and dense and it cuts well and doesn't splinter. it is sometimes sensitive to planing and jointing against the grain. it takes well to card scraping. I love highly figured maple- flame, quilt, curly, etc, I find run of the mill maple a bit boring but that is because it is very common around here.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• RodKirby
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by crokett
              Maple is a fun wood to work with. 10 bucks for a 12"x3' piece? Isn't that 3 board feet? Then 3$ a board foot seems reasonable. Around here I can get it for ~4$ a board foot. As Bill said though - even in the US wood somewhat regional and prices will vary.
              $10 for a piece 3' long x 1.75" wide x .75" thick - not quite the same!

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by germdoc
                ... I saw an Aussie movie last night--"Romper Stomper"--one of Russell Crowe's first movies. Very intense, very good flick. But the Aussie brogue was so pronounced I had to put the subtitles on to understand it. Just curious--do you still have skinheads over there?
                wotcha meen? nuthin' rong with Oz langwich

No - haven't heard of skinheads for years. As I recall, they were more prevalent in Sydney (rough & tough), than in Melbourne (all class!) .

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

[quote=RodKirby;309202]... like we use Victorian Ash or Tasmanian Oak (boring!) If we go to a lumber yard, that's the ONLY stuff available /quote]
                  You poor boy! Those sound pretty cool to me.

Is the ash not similar to work with to the maple?

JR
                  JR

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Does this mean you might be emmigrating?

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• RodKirby
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by JR
                      ...like we use Victorian Ash or Tasmanian Oak (boring!) If we go to a lumber yard, that's the ONLY stuff available /quote]
                      You poor boy! Those sound pretty cool to me.

Is the ash not similar to work with to the maple?

JR
                      It's sort of grey in color and very heavy and no nice grain, but yes, similar to work.

I'll post some pics....

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by RodKirby
                        $10 for a piece 3' long x 1.75" wide x .75" thick - not quite the same!
                        Holy smokes! How much is shipping from US to Oz? I can send you quilted and curly maple that would you cry. This is a serious offer.

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

I like maple myself. It is pretty predictable to work until you get some quilted and curly. Then just go slow and pay attention to the grain. It will let you know quick when you ain't doing something right.

The satisfaction of finishing it outweighs the trouble milling it though. Some of it is truly spectacular.

I don't care much for the soft maple species. It is nice, but rather plain Jane. The hard maples are where you find small patches of birdseye and curls in ordinary lumber. If they know it's in there, they will likely charge more.

Birdseye is my favorite maple to use. Those eyes just pop out at you when finished.
                          Lee

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

OK, let's see some maple jigs, maple stands and maple drawers! And don't forget Larry, Curly and Moe in Maple!
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                              Holy smokes! How much is shipping from US to Oz? I can send you quilted and curly maple that would you cry. This is a serious offer.
                              If you can get it through customs. Rod nearly went to prison for having a finished picture frame in his luggage!
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...