X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tuttlejr
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • LAKEWAY, TX, USA.

I bought several battery (not chargeable) razors for less than 10 bucks at Walmart. Walgreen's has them also. Great little shavers for traveling. I sometimes use them while watching TV. Cut very well and use AA batteries.

I keep one in my toilet article kit all the time.

Otherwise I use Norelco corded.
    Bob Tuttle

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I generally shave when:
      1. My beard begins to accumulate enough pollen to make me sneeze (in allergy seasons)
      2. I get tired of the bearded look.
      3. There is an occasion that calls for shaved look.
      Otherwise, I just let it grow. An electric would probably die on the first shave.

I remember this joke:
      At a show, a guy is marketing a new 'automatic shaver'. Very easy, just stick your head into a hole, and it shaves you clean!
      Someone in the audience asks: but how is this possible? Everyone's face is shaped differently!
      - Only until the first shave!

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Last time I shaved it was for a friends wedding! For the next six weeks I was digging ingrown hairs out of my neck. I decided that the pain was not worth it any longer! I do however trim it all off about monthly with a pair of hair clippers.

Back when I shaved I used a Norelco and liked it. Except for all the ingrown hairs. I switched to double edged razors and lather made the hard way with cup soap and a brush; this lessened the ingrown hairs but not totally.

My job allows me to look scruffy and LOML likes it so that's what I do.

gloat: post #1600!
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

answer to Scott -

Originally posted by ScottGolden
          ...The blades move a 10K RPM (how left to right gets to RPM I am still working on). ...

Virtually all electric motors in common use are rotating motors.
          The circular motion to reciprocating linear motion is usually done with
          a pin offset from the axis on the rotating shaft. The pin this travels in a circular motion.
          The blade is in a track that allow motion side to side, The rotating pin engages a slot in the moving part of the blade assembly. The slot is perpendicular to the direction of the blade motion.

As the pin travels in a circular motion, it moves up and down and side to side. The up and down motion is within the slot, but the side to side motion of the pin against the sides of the slot drives the blade assembly side to side in its track.

So each rotation of the motor mades one complete side to side motion of the blade. So, motor RPM = cycles per minute for the blade.

One could argue that it cuts in both directions, so actual cuts per minute would equal twice the RPMs.

P.S. I still use a Norelco for those ocassions when I need to shave small areas, I've had a beard since about 1980.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

How about a spokeshave? LOL
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• RichG
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2003
              • Ashland, MA, USA.
              • BT3001

When we were first Married my wife was working for Braun. Been using Braun ever since. I think I'm on my fourth in 21 plus years. I have the 8995 now and quite like it.
              There will be no parking in my shop

Comment

• Lance
                Established Member
                • Jun 2005
                • Haverhill, MA, USA.

Another vote for panasonic wet/dry shavers. I've had two over the last 15 years or so. The hold a great charge, you can use them with shaving cream or shaving soap and brush for an extra close shave, and you cna clean them under running water.

I've tried braun, norelco, remington, and something else I can't remember. For me, the panasonic shaved faster, better, and with less irritation, and could handle a Monday shave aftger a shaveless weekend.

I definitely think that electric razors are not a one-size-fits-all item, since folks beards & skin vary so much. My well-used panasonic my be your face-burning nightmnare.

-Lance
                Ex-Armchair Woodworker and newb galoot.

Comment

• docrowan
                  • Mar 2007
                  • New Albany, MS
                  • BT3100

My face responds best if I alternate electric and safety razor. I get a closer shave with the safety razor, but it can irritate my skin. I think the shave cream is as important as the razor if you have sensitive skin. I use Bath & Body works - it has an antiseptic property and a can of it lasts forever.

I keep an inexpensive Braun folding electric razor in my car to alternate with my safety razor. It's powered by two AA batteries, and it gives me plenty of warning that I need to change the batteries by slowing down. I use it 2 - 3 times a week and a set of batteries lasts me at least a couple of months. I found my first one in a clearance sale for 5 bucks and I used it for about 7 years before the foil tore. I liked it so much I looked on eBay for a replacement, it cost me about 12 bucks.
                  - Chris.

Comment

Working...