X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottGolden
    Established Member
    • May 2006

In my opinion, Panasonic makes the best electric razor. I have has mine since mid-1998.

I shave both my face and my head daily.

I use a Panasonic 'pro-linear' razor. (actually 2 due to having 2 apartments a few years ago but that is a whole nuther story)

The blades move a 10K RPM (how left to right gets to RPM I am still working on). It think the newer ones are even faster. The razors I have are both wet/dry and have an inductive charger, so no cords to tangle. Plug it in an leave it. Just drop the razor in the cradle a like magic it gets charged. Both hold a charge for about 7 days worth of shaving.

The actual shave is smooth as a twin blade razor and in my opinion better they the 5 blade fusion. Most people do not belive that I use an electric since it is so smooth.

The down side is they are not cheap, last I checked they were 100-200 price range.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Redford MI.
      • Craftsman 21829

Gimme them triple rotating floating heads. So Norelco for me.

sparkeyjames

Comment

• scorrpio
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Gilette Mach3 Power

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Real woodworkers use only handplanes and spokeshaves. Tough beards call for a drawknife.

Comment

• kirkroy
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Brunswick, MD

Are there any electric shavers for the lazy? I got a lower end braun for Christmas last year but it only works if I shave every day. I only shave about every other day and the braun just won't cut it (literally). If used every day it cuts very close though...

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I've got an identical Braun (8995 360 Complete) to the one posted by Rod Kirby earlier in this thread. Before that I had a three-floating-head Philishave. The Braun is so much better it's hardly believable and it lasts for ages without recharging if you're away from home.

Ray.
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I vote for the safety razor and cream. Once upon a time (when I had a lot more of it) I used to use a straight razor. Best shave I ever had - my barber taught me how. I tried electric but it never gave me the shave that even a safety razor does.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gsmittle
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                  • BT 3100

I use a Braun 4775, which I've had for almost 10 years now. It holds a charge forever and does a nice job on the parts of my face that aren't covered by a beard.

I've used a Remington in the past. I prefer the Braun. Actually, I prefer a twin blade, but I'm too lazy to lather up....

g.
                  Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                  Bill & Ted

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by crokett
                    I vote for the safety razor and cream. Once upon a time (when I had a lot more of it) I used to use a straight razor. Best shave I ever had - my barber taught me how. I tried electric but it never gave me the shave that even a safety razor does.
                    How 'bout sharing the barber's lesson. I still razor shave on weekends but sometimes I get so raw I burn for an hour afterwards.
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kirkroy
                      Are there any electric shavers for the lazy? I got a lower end braun for Christmas last year but it only works if I shave every day. I only shave about every other day and the braun just won't cut it (literally). If used every day it cuts very close though...
                      It's the same for my Norelco (I believe the model is 4608 x) but the little beast holds a charge for a long time and it's durable - I shave twice a day because I'm face to face with people and don't want to look grody. My beard is too sparse to have the Miami Vice, 2 day cool look.
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by ironhat
                        How 'bout sharing the barber's lesson. I still razor shave on weekends but sometimes I get so raw I burn for an hour afterwards.
                        Well if you use an electric during the week any razor will burn until you recondition your face to it.

Or did you mean a straight razor? It has been a loong time - I don't even have the straight any more but basically the biggies were keep it sharp (when he shaved me he'd strop it once or twice during shaving) a few lighter/slower strokes are much better than 1 heavy/fast one. You are cutting whiskers, not skin. Use your free hand to stretch the skin - this makes the whiskers stand up.

After that it is just being careful to not move the razor sideways.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Cheeky
                          • Nov 2006
                          • westchester cty, new york
                          • Ridgid TS2400LS

norelco here....can't seem to kill the thing. i dropped it 2 days ago, and was able to put it back together unscathed.

sometimes one pops up on amazon for less than the cost of replacement blades, but part of the reason i asked for one for christmas was to help keep the landfills down, so i just pay the 17-25 bucks for the razors every year.
                          Pete

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by crokett
                            Well if you use an electric during the week any razor will burn until you recondition your face to it.

Or did you mean a straight razor? It has been a loong time - I don't even have the straight any more but basically the biggies were keep it sharp (when he shaved me he'd strop it once or twice during shaving) a few lighter/slower strokes are much better than 1 heavy/fast one. You are cutting whiskers, not skin. Use your free hand to stretch the skin - this makes the whiskers stand up.

After that it is just being careful to not move the razor sideways.

Hmmm, maybe I need to stretch the skin instead of just shaving against the direction the beard grow. Could be I'm dragging on the lossere and looser skin. As far as straight razors go I'm steering clear of them. Tried it once in the '70's and about cut an artery (exaggerating for sure). Having a barber do it is a very enjoyable experience. I wonder if any are still doing it, with the AIDS .concerns
                            Last edited by ironhat; 05-08-2007, 10:57 AM. Reason: correction
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• prlundberg
                              Established Member
                              • May 2006
                              • Minnesota
                              • Craftsman 21829

I started with safety razors. First electric was a cheap corded Remington that actually worked pretty well. It shaved fast and pretty close but eventually it died. I think the biggest reason it worked so well was large fast cutters. Many new cordless razors are smaller and the batteries don't seem to move the cutters as fast.

Next I tried a Norelco. Was never impressed with it. Always seemed to miss spots and had more ingrown hairs.

Next was a Panasonic wet/dry. Worked OK but not as well as my old Remington. Wet shave was terrible. Clogged easily.

I'm now back to blades. It's probably more expensive in the long run, but I find today's blades and shaving gels are easier on my skin than electrics, and I think it's quicker to get a good shave with fewer missed spots. I'm still using the Mach 3, don't see the value in upgrading to Mach 5.

I think this is the most I've ever talked about razors.
                              Phil

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2005
                                • Independence, MO, USA.
                                • bt3100

I looked into the razor promotion on Amazon the other day (want a new electric). Too rich for my blood.

I started out shaving with a Norelco razor. Worked great for a number of years then broke something internal when dropped (switch if I remember correctly). Replaced it with a Braun (don't like the foil style, except on neck). Got a Remington and was using it on the face, and the the Braun on the neck. (Remington blades seem duller then Norelco's). Dad has had both Norelco's and Remingtons (whatevers on sale). His was producing the same result.

Gonna get a new cord/cordless (how Norelco lists theirs that work either way). Gonna probably go for the Wallyworld $40 special (why pay more for "features", like "waterproof" aka, use this in the shower, untill you drop it because of wet hands). Been using a safety razor for years, whenever I am without electric. But do to allergies (spring and fall), my skin gets tore up, when going over bumps/reactions etc, and people are always asking, "how did you cut yourself".

Tried a straight razor twice. I can tell you, I won't shave with one of those again, dull or sharp.
                                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...