• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

What's in a name?

OK, I stole this topic from another board I frequent, but I thought it was a good one.

What is the story behind your user name? Some are acutely obvious--those boring souls that chose the name their parents gave them--where's the fun and mystery in that, LOL. So, share with us all why you are called what you are called on BT3Central.

JoeyGee was a nickname given to me by a former business partner--Joe, last name sarts with a G...it was around 1995 and message boards/chat rooms first became really popular, so I just used that. FWIW, it started as just JoeyG, but my favorite message board (the same I stole this idea from) changed hosts and screwed up their database so I needed to re-create my name. Too much info, I know.
    Joe
  • rosesunkist
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2006
    • LaVernia, TX
    • BT3100

Well, for me I was given the nickname Sunkist(like the orange) in middle school. So I just combined my last name and nickname, as it makes it mostly unique username. Don't ask why I had that nickname, IDK, because no one ever told me why I got it.....
    Just think of something witty and pretend you saw it here.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

My user name is my real name, because at birth, my family was very poor and needed furniture. No, really, that's a lie. We didn't need furniture. That's a lie, we did need furniture, but they didn't name me that. The truth is my user name is an obvious one.

"I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

My user name came from my love of Boston Whaler boats.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• scmhogg
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
          • BT3000

scmhogg is my real name. Stephen Clive Malcolm Hogg.

I hated my parents when I was little. The first day of school was always a nightmare.

Steve
          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • League City, Tx, USA.
            • BT3100

25 was an accident the first time I made one after the first couple didn't work so I hit some random keys.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I chose my moniker of "leehljp" back in 91/92. I hated the long number system for members of Compuserve that I joined in '89 and appreciated the ability to choose my own, which AOL offered. At that time AOL was primarly a Mac community.

When I joined AOL, I chose a name with my last name and then the initial of LOML and my first name, followed by the JP for Japan. I quit AOL in the late '90s and kept the moniker.

At that time, I did not consider a seperate one for me and LOML. Only when LOML got her own computer did we start using seperate names.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Mine is my first initial and last name. Boring I know.... I started using it on another board (pre WWW days) because I figured if I was gonna give people my opinion, I'd better be ready to take credit. Or blame.

My students call me Smit-Dawg. I choose to believe it's a term of affection.

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Pappy was hung on me by a 1stSgt I worked for late in my career. One of my favorite Marines of all time was Col. Greg "Pappy" Boyington, CO of VMA-214 (Blacksheep) in during WWII. At the time I was Sqdn Gunny and answered directly to the CO and 1stSgt. Like Col. Boyington, I seemed to get done what others couldn't by using contacts and bypassing normal channels.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Clemson, SC, USA
                    • Rigid TS3650

I use my real name because my nickname from college days is vulgar.
                    Ken Weaver
                    Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• bigstick509
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Macomb, MI, USA.
                      • BT3100

Nickname

Mine came from my ball playing days, the 509 was added to match my main e-mail address name and is my DOB.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• MoldnMaker
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • McKenzie, TN, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Obvious I think. It's what I do............at work.
                        "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." by Albert Einstein

Comment

• Jaden
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2006
                          • Trenton, MI
                          • BT3100

The name "Jaden" was a mistake several years ago, when coming up with a login name for work, I chose the name of the goblin king from the movie Labyrinth (a childhood favorite movie). Unfortunately, due to aging or a few burnt out synapses not firing on cue, I remembered the name as "Jaden", but, unfortunately for me his name was "Jareth". So, I guess, in conclusion, I HAVE NO BLOODY IDEA WHERE THE NAME CAME FROM. But, since I liked the way the name sounded it stuck with me.

And the name can't be to awful bad, my sister-in-law liked the name enough that she used it for my nieces middle name.

Steve
                          "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• Scottydont
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Edmonds, WA, USA.
                            • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I am a big fan of the Austin Powers movies with many memeorable one liners. My sig has a audio file link highlighting the line featuring Scottydon't.
                            Scott
                            "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• JTimmons
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Denver, CO.
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by scmhogg
                              scmhogg is my real name. Stephen Clive Malcolm Hogg.

I hated my parents when I was little. The first day of school was always a nightmare.

Steve
                              You hated yours! Try the first name of JOCK, that's right Jock as in strap and itch!!! I spent many days in the principle's office after roll call each morning from 1st to 12th grade for fighting.
                              "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                              -- Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...