X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

What if rather than time, the contest was based on amount of material used? You could classify "small", "medium", "large" projects based on an agreed upon range of bd ft usage (plywood could be converted to an equivalent bd ft). Give a generous time frame for completion (quarterly, twice a year?) for submittals. This would allow people to submit their normal projects from the year & wouldn't require a special project for the contest. Maybe a yearly "best of" type of final contest for prizes?

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by jking
      What if rather than time, the contest was based on amount of material used? You could classify "small", "medium", "large" projects based on an agreed upon range of bd ft usage (plywood could be converted to an equivalent bd ft). Give a generous time frame for completion (quarterly, twice a year?) for submittals. This would allow people to submit their normal projects from the year & wouldn't require a special project for the contest. Maybe a yearly "best of" type of final contest for prizes?
      I like this idea. Perhaps we could work in bartering for prizes from advertising partners.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I second that. I love the small, medium, large idea as JK says this means it could easily fit within what a lot of folks are making anyway. I also think that giving enough time balanced with enough frequency to keep folks coming back would be a good idea. I would vote for quarterly.

Some could be open projects based on the SML bd ft approach, while others could be themed e.g. Boxes which could still be S, M or L i.e. band saw box or blanket chest would both qualify. When It comes to the Q4 contest we could simply make it a holiday gift competition in that you can make whatever you want to be given as a gift to a friend or loved one.

Originally posted by Black wallnut
        I like this idea. Perhaps we could work in bartering for prizes from advertising partners.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• durango dude
          • Mar 2011
          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I'm fine with anything...... Regardless of the parameters ---- it will likely motivate me to do SOMETHING --- which is better than NOTHING.

My vote is for a "weekend" project contest - Starting Friday afternoon, ending Sunday night ---- but to repeat - I'm fine with anything.

Comment

• Eric
            • Jun 2003
            • Cocolalla, ID
            • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Not knowing any particulars, other than a contest of some sort, I said yes.

Comment

• onedash
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2005
              • Maryland
              • Craftsman 22124

Hmmm, flipping the knives on my planer. I haven't done it before and need to. Wonder if it can be done in 60 minutes or less? Or swap them out in my jointer. Haven't done that either. I can put the bag back on my dust collector in less than 60 minutes- usually. LOL.
              YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Somehow i don't even remember this thread at all!
                My one comment is how a 60 minute project can turn into a marathon deal...
                WHy isn't the power working...ten minutes to track down the GFCI and reset it.
                Blade guard is loose. Ten minutes to track down the missing screw and tighten.
                drill bit is dull. sharpen or remember if I have a spare. Look for spare DOn't find it (ten minutes lost)
                lubricate chuck
                replace battery in laser
                remember where the spare bit is, locate it
                drill the first hole. Tearout.
                Look for the drill chart and adjust the speed.
                While adjusting the speed, notice that the depth adjust is bent. Fix it.
                etc, etc, etc.

OK< so I lied. My second comment is, how does the planning go into this? For me a one hour project could involve several days of thinking and sketching as I make the plan better and better and solve issues like how am I going to make that cut in my mind.

I suppose its all moot.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Somehow i don't even remember this thread at all!.
                  I do... it was back when we were trying to brainstorm how to get more traffic to these forums, and more woodworking talk among those who were already here.

I'm for anything we can do to get more project threads going. That's what drew me to this place over a decade ago, and what I still look forward to seeing today. I truly believe that the more projects we see here, the more the rest of us will be inspired and make the time to be in the shop.

As I posted on another thread, I'm about to start an ambitious (for me) project and hope to keep some posts coming about it here.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Wow, I forgot about this thread.

An example of a quick project from a couple weeks ago. On one of the rare decent days this spring, my daughter was jump roping. I noticed she was missing one of the cheap plastic handles.

A couple days later, I trimmed some walnut scrap and turned a couple handles. I didn't time it, but I doubt it took longer than an hour. Very simple and I just used some spray laquer. That is what in talking about. Quick, simple, useful and fun.
                    Joe

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Is this one of the ghost threads that pop back up every time there is a program update?

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by capncarl
                        Is this one of the ghost threads that pop back up every time there is a program update?
                        Nope someone posted in the thread.

That aside, since i've been working on my ultimate tool stand for thirteen years and it isin't finsihed, I'm not qualified to compete.
                        Chr's

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                          Nope someone posted in the thread.

That aside, since i've been working on my ultimate tool stand for thirteen years and it isin't finsihed, I'm not qualified to compete.
                          I think this should get you a special award. We should start a poll to see who has the project that has gone on the longest! I have a few but dont think I can top 13 years.
                          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                          techzibits.com

Comment

Working...