• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Where was SawdustZone on Friday?

From sometime on Thursday evening or early Friday morning until Saturday morning the site was mostly non-functional. The server exceeded our available disk space. I added 20GB of disk to the server Saturday morning and then was able to prune some data to get the site up and running again. The problem was caused by a cache table growing out of control and made worse by the daily backups that store the last 10 days of database backups online.

Of course, Murphy was helping out as well and I was on a cruise with unreliable internet acess and couldn't resolve the issue until we hit land on Saturday morning. The issue appears to be corrected now, but I'll keep a close watch on it.

Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

So, you were on a cruise... and you were working on maintaining the web site?

God bless you man, but you need to have someone backing you up when you are on holiday! Give your wife an extra hug from all of us (mine would have thrown me overboard )

Thank you for your diligence,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I thought it might be a SDZ problem, but at the same time some of the Black Friday sites were slow. With two daughters here and surfing and streaming movies, I thought it all combined to unusual circumstances. I did notice that it was basically non-functioning.

THANKS for all you do!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black walnut
        Administrator
        • Aug 2015
        • BT3K

I spent black friday in a truck working 14 hours. There just is not enough time to keep a watch on the site and make my living.

Thanks so much Chris for everything you do for us!
        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I don't vacation. As a finance / IT guy, I've pretty much been on call 24/7/365 my entire career. Now I'm just far enough down the call list that if they need to call me, we're approaching end of the world type problems, but I still check in on everything every day.

A cruise for me is just uninterrupted reading time and food I don't have to cook, although driving a dune buggy at irresponsible speeds in the Dominican Republic was fun. There were 3 of 5 of my wife's sisters and their husbands and 9 nieces and nephews so it's doubtful I was even missed. Besides, I made for the Uncles photo where we were apparently replaced with four old guys. I'm the old guy in a bow tie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	the Uncles.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	835309
          Chr's

Comment

Working...