All members, please read. BT3Central, and SawdustZone status.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

All members, please read. BT3Central, and SawdustZone status.

There is some lingering confusion out there that I would like to clear the air on.

There are a good number of changes coming to bt3central.com and the community, but not all of them have been implemented as of yet.

The recent outage to www.bt3central.com was to migrate the site off of the old, failing Microsoft Windows server, and on to a new, clean loaded Linux server. At that time, we, the staff of www.bt3central.com (The Sawdust Foundation) have been passed control over the site, and the direction of the site.

What has changed:
    • Our hosting company.
    • The operating system the site runs on.
    • Available command interpreters.

Specifically, due to the available command interpreters, the original "temporary articles page" that had been in place for 5+ years is no longer runnable (it was written in Microsoft ASP, which Linux isn't compatible with). We have the data, and are working on fixing the page issue. This admittedly has been a low priority as there have been other fires under out tails as it were.

The image upload problem seems to be fixed for most users, except one who may or may not have hit a quota / limit on image storage. We are working that issue as well.

What has not yet changed:
    • Theme (obviously)
    • Useable domain name.
    • vBulletin version.
    • Added mobile features.

These are all known issues, and are actively being planned / worked. Please be patient as we hammer these items out.

For the time being, yes you will see the front page / login page show up if you browse to www.sawdustzone.com or www.sawdustzone.org, they will not, or at least should not allow you to log in succesfully. It may even say it did, but will show you logged out.

Please, until further notice, continue to log into, and use the site www.bt3central.com as you normally would have.

Our testing process will involve a "staging" site which will allow us to make changes and keep those changes hidden until we are done testing where we can roll them into production. At the testing time, we will put out a post asking for volunteers to help us test the staging site. Once we are satisfied with the results, the changes will be implemented in production.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • big tim
    • Mar 2006
    • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
    • SawStop PCS

Thanks for this update and thanks to all working hard on this.

Tim
    Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Dal300
      Banned
      • Aug 2011
      • East Central Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Mark, even though logging in to Sawdustzone.org or com just keeps showing the log in screen again, if you click on the "Todays Posts" link you are logged in.

I think the problem is simply a Mysql Db. problem not resolving to the new page after logging in.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

As I mentioned in another thread this morning, I'm back after about a 5 years absence from the group. I was just curious if this "Sawdustzone" concept is still happening or if that had been ruled out. All the talk about it (including the FB group) seems to have started and ended in 2012.

Thanks

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

That is what it appears like for sure.
          There are guys working on it all, but apparently no one has the time to devote to it. Guys are working on it. It does seem stalled to me though.

I would like to put out there that any Members with a little time and knowledge on how to update servers and site software, please speak up. We can absolutely use some help.I cannot personally believe we have been struggling so long with this.

No putting anyone down by any means. The scope of the project has simply hit several sticky spots and when you add all of those up, it equals time.

We have even considered polling the members and paying a pittance for the work that needs done. If qualified and interested, let us know. No one would like to get this all implemented more than us.
          Lee

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

Thanks for the update. I'm perfectly happy with the old/current theming, just curious. I would have been a lot more surprised to come back and find a completely different 'branding' lol.

Can't believe how fast time flies anymore...

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Good to see you back, BTW.
              Lee

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
                Good to see you back, BTW.
                Thanks, it's been great to finally get back and start some projects. I've done a lot of home improvement type stuff and some small rough builds in the last few years but it was time to get out and build some nicer stuff. Which of course means I had to come here to keep inspired

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

welcome back, Tim.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...